The Veils of Azlaroc by Fred Saberhagen (1976)

AE35Unit

]==[]===O °
This is a strange one!
Basically it is about a strange artificial world that appears desert like, but with a low sky and strange geometric forms on the landscape. But the strangest thing about the place are the veils. Each year a temporal veil falls about the planet, sealing everyone inside it on the planet permanently, to live forever, unchanged. Every year tourists visit the world to view its odd charms, but they must be certain to leave before Veilfall or they will be trapped there.
One man is determined to escape the planet, through the heart of a neutron star. Another is sent on a mission to retrieve an object from a sealed tomb, while another man comes to Azlaroc to search for a lost love who was trapped there many veils ago. And amidst all this is a man who knows that this year the veil will fall early, and he sets about to warn everyone, and in order to do that he needs to find a way to send the message through the veils past, to send a message across a barrier of time.

I've had this book a long time; I came across it at a second hand book stall in Wales in the 90's and have read it twice already.
Saberhagen is known for his Berserker series of books but I have yet to come across one and know little about them, and I believe they are more like fantasy.
Veils is most definitely SF and a bit odd, but a good read nonetheless.

Attachments

• picsay-1406197196776.jpg
    picsay-1406197196776.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 167
That sounds suitably weird. The Beserker books are really quite good and very definitely SF rather than fantasy (no Viking style berserkers in them). The berserkers are AI killing/doomsday machines left over from an ancient interstellar war between two alien races and programmed quite simply to destroy life (they actually ended up exterminating their own creators). They can range form asteroid to human in size.

That sounds suitably weird. The Beserker books are really quite good and very definitely SF rather than fantasy (no Viking style berserkers in them). The berserkers are AI killing/doomsday machines left over from an ancient interstellar war between two alien races and programmed quite simply to destroy life (they actually ended up exterminating their own creators). They can range form asteroid to human in size.

Ok they sound worth looking out for!

They are a bit like Asimov's Robot books in that there are both novels and collections of shorts. The only one I have is, I think, the first which is a collection of shorts and just called Berserker.

I've read both The Veils of Azlaroc and the Berserker books (at least those which I could find.) The Veils of Azlaroc I found haunting and well written, but the Berserker books are classic military S.F. I loved the concept of "good life." I've often wished that there were more of these.

Ah yes the 'Goodlife' story was particularly good. I keep thinking about at least trying to track down the novels. I am also interested by The Veils though and might just add that to my wish list (arrrrrgh...).