The Walking Dead - Season 5 and onwards

The end of The Walking Dead might have been revealed in permits which requested a three more years of life in Senoia, Georgia.

In requesting a permit to build a massive 55-foot windmill, the production team behind the AMC series asked it be permitted to stand for three years. Furthermore, the team has permits which allow them to shut down the streets surrounding the Alexandria set in Senoia, Georgia which expire in 2019. Those permits have been submitted for renewal, requesting an extension to match the three-year term of the windmill.

Location Manager Mike Riley asked the Senoia City Council for permission to build a 55-foot tall windmill on the 'Alexandria' site, located at the Gin Property development in downtown – and to keep it there for three years," the Newnan Times-Herald reports. "Stalwart Films, the production company for The Walking Dead, has a permit for the closure of Morgan Street and the corrugated metal wall around the Alexandria site, which expires at the end of 2019. Riley asked that those permits be extended to match the three year permit for the windmill."

This could be an indication of The Walking Dead planning to pack it up after Season Eleven.

However, this could be inaccurate given several possible variables. First of all, there is no guarantee the AMC series will remain set in Alexandria as the comic book series has. Furthermore, there may be limitations on permits, as three year request could be the maximum under Senoia's jurisdiction. With an uncertain future, there could also be a business aspect to requests, simply meaning the team could wait for a Season Twelve or beyond to be guaranteed before spending any more money on further years of permits.

Currently, The Walking Dead is charging toward a fresh start, which Rick actor Andrew Lincoln tells ComicBook.com has him quite excited. "I'm very excited about Angela [Kang]'s tenure," Lincoln told Comicbook.com. "She pitched the first eight a couple of weeks ago. I think we're getting the first episode today. There's a renewed vigor, vitality, energy, and just vision that's happening that is reminiscent, and certainly for me, of the pilot episode. There's a lot of things in there that I kind of dig that she's looking into. The things that I loved about the pilot episode, there's a few ideas in there that she's expanding and running with, which is very exciting."
'The Walking Dead' Series Ending Date Revealed?

It may be a zombie bite, a rival group’s attack, or just a lone walk toward the great unknown. No matter what you call it, Rick Grimes will soon be gone from The Walking Dead. Several news outlets are reporting that Andrew Lincoln will be exiting the series sometime in season nine.

Entertainment Weekly has independently confirmed a report from Collider that Lincoln is ending his years-long run on The Walking Dead next season (io9 reached out to AMC but they declined to comment). Lincoln has been with the show since the very beginning, playing the sheriff-turned-apocalypse leader. While his role has been rife with issues over the past few seasons—we’ve even been arguing that Rick needs to die in order to keep the show alive—Lincoln has been the series lead since the very beginning and it’ll be sad to see him go. Even if it’s felt like a long, long, long time coming.

It’s just one of many ways The Walking Dead has seen some turmoil recently. In addition to the showrunner turnover, Rick Grimes’ son Carl (Chandler Riggs) was killed off last season, and we’re hearing rumors Lauren Cohan (Maggie Greene) could be next on the chopping block. Collider is claiming that AMC is courting Norman Reedus to take over as the series star, but the network declined to comment on that to us as well.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/rip-rick-grimes-andrew-lincoln-is-leaving-the-walking-1826401743

Rick exiting is probably a good idea. His character has been stale for a while.
Losing Maggie, as the heir apparent, doesn't seem like a good idea.
Daryl doesn't have what it takes to be a general leader.
Among characters not rumored to be departing, I would nominate Jesus as the best suited to take charge, with Daryl or Carol as his secretary of defense

One of Rick and Maggie to kill the other, with the murderer to be immediately killed in vengeance?
Rick has been brutal for a while. While Maggie is also angry and grieving. I can't decide who would kill the other. It depends if Rick finds out about Maggie's plots before she attacks him.

Both Maggie and Rick out in the same series would be a major culling. Might as well kill off Ezekiel while they are at it. With them all gone maybe the speeches can be cut too!

I wouldn't be scared about Ricktator's departure. Everyone except Judith has already gone. Maybe they'll kill him, maybe they move him permanently in the Old Man Rick status and send him into exile for his past sins.

It must always be remembered that, at its core, Walking Dead creator Robert Kirkman designed the (comic book) series to be the antithesis of other zombie apocalypse sagas - i.e., a story that didn't end with the demise of a certain set of characters, or didn't arrive at a nice convenient "cure." The Walking Dead was designed to be a zombie apocalypse story that ran without definitive end, and while TV operates by a vastly different set of rules, it's in Walking Dead's DNA to a story that's bigger than just one man.

At this point in the TV series, The Walking Dead is an ensemble drama, more than the story of Rick Grimes, as it used to be. Characters like Daryl, Carol, Morgan, and even Negan hold just as much interest and appeal for fans than Rick himself does. With that in mind, it's not hard to imagine The Walking Dead getting additional mileage out of its supporting cast ensemble for at least a few more seasons.

Fear the Walking Dead season 4 is currently pulling a soft reboot of sorts (doubling down in the soft reboot that was season 3), and it's working out pretty successfully. The former main cast has been all but whittled down to just three (and soon maybe just two) of the original six or seven main protagonists we started with, while introducing an entire set of new characters, as well as a crossover character from the main Walking Dead series. If that show can successfully retool its cast and focus, there's no reason to say The Walking Dead can't do the same. Meanwhile, fan-favs like Daryl, Carol, Enid, King Ezekiel or Jesus could be bumped up to bigger leads - and thanks to The Walking Dead comics, there's a literal and figurative "New World Order" of storyline to propel things, and excite the fanbase over story, rather than characters.

In terms of the cast: we've already seen what a fresh injection of talented character acting can do for the show (Jeffrey Dean Morgan's scene-stealing Negan), so with the right casting moves, we could get several strong new characters to fill the void of Rick and Carl. As stated, it's something that's worked for Fear in the last two seasons, and the main Walking Dead show would have much bigger clout to attract high-profile talent.
Can 'The Walking Dead' Survive Without Andrew Lincoln?

The Walking Dead community received quite a shock yesterday when it was revealed that Andrew Lincoln, who portrays lead character Rick Grimes, would be departing the series in the upcoming ninth season. In the wake of his departure, it was reported that co-star Norman Reedus would be getting a massive pay increase, somewhere in the realm of $20 million.

While that contract certainly seems to be in the works, it's nowhere near a done deal just yet.

In The Hollywood Reporter's piece on Lincoln's departure, veteran TV journalist and scooper Lesley Goldberg noted that Reedus and AMC haven't yet signed on the dotted line to give the original cast member a pay-bump to become the top-billed actor on the series.

According to Goldberg's report, contract negotiations were part of the reason that the Season 9 renewal announcement came later than usual. The contracts of both Reedus and Lincoln were up after Season 8, and they had new deals in place before the next installment was announced.

Lincoln already has a contract finished for Season 9, but he won't be appearing in the entire 16 episodes. The actor will likely be phased out in a similar fashion to co-star Lauren Cohan, who has portrayed Maggie since Season 2.

Cohan, now starring in Whiskey Cavalier, a new series on ABC, is only contracted for a total of six episodes on The Walking Dead this season.
Norman Reedus' $20 Million 'Walking Dead' Deal "Not Done Yet"

The six episodes for Laurie Cohan (Maggie) could be spread over most of the season with the way jumps from story to story, and back and forth

If I make a kill-list, Rick is one to the top because he is the biggest cause for problems. Maggie however would be almost automatically on the redeemed list. I didn't link pieces on Cohan case because I thought AMC would handle her with money. Now we read that Norman is getting a big payout and that doesn't seem right. WTF is going on?

A few series ago I said I'd be happy to see Rick and Carl go.

I think it is a mistake to let Maggie go, I'm a big fan of Daryl, Carol and Michonne but the series can move on without them. Maggie brings something different, I'd be happy for the show to have focused more on her, Jesus and Aaron.

When you are 9 series in it must be hard to hold on to the remaining long term cast (happened in Fear the Walking Dead by the 4th). Especially when there have been a lot of critical reviews for the last two years. But it means the story has to be tailored to whether actors want to stick around or not.

Reactions: ctg
Yes.

A key scene from The Walking Dead season 7 could prove prophetic following news Rick Grimes actor Andrew Lincoln will be exiting the series in season 9.

The Walking Dead 7x12, ‘Say Yes,’ finds lovers Rick and Michonne out on the road on a multi-day scavenging trip.

Coming across an overrun carnival grounds, Rick and Michonne are besieged by walkers when Rick falls off a Ferris wheel and is seemingly eaten alive, to Michonne’s horror.

Heading home in their van after escaping unscathed, Rick pulls over to confess to Michonne his guilt over his inability to save Glenn from being murdered by Negan just days ago.

He pulls her close, telling her they’re going to take a stand against Negan and the Saviors.

“We’re gonna fight them. That’s what happens next. And we’re gonna lose people. Maybe a lot of them. Maybe even each other,” he tells her.

She pulls away.

“Even then,” he says, “it’d be worth it.”

“When I thought...” she stops. Tearfully, she tells him, “I can’t lose you.”

“You asked me what kind of life we had just surrendering. But it wasn’t a life. What we did back there, what we’re doing now, making a future for Judith, for Glenn and Maggie’s baby, fighting the fight... that’s living. You showed me that. You can lose me.”

She turns away again. “No.”

“Yes you can. I can lose you. We can lose our friends. People we love. It’s not about us anymore. It’s about a future,” Rick tells her. “And if it’s me who doesn’t make it, you’re gonna have to lead the others forward. Because you’re the one who can.”

“How do you know?”

“Because,” he tells her softly, “you led me here.”

Standing united with the Hilltop and the Kingdom, Rick and the Alexandrians ultimately proved victorious in the war against Negan and the Saviors.

Rick then called for peace among both sides, choosing instead to work together in taking steps towards the new world — a world in line with the hopeful future envisioned by his dying son, Carl, who succumbed to a walker bite in the back half of season 8.

Rick and Michonne served as constables of Alexandria shortly after integrating into their new home, and Rick’s lover has always been poised to assume an even bigger leadership role in the community as its second-in-command.

While Daryl Dixon actor Norman Reedus looks to land a $20 million payday to take over as lead following Lincoln’s departure in season 9, the only rightful heir to the actual role of Rick Grimes would be Michonne, who, unlike Daryl, is a better fit for leader.
‘The Walking Dead’ Already Set Up Michonne As New Leader After Andrew Lincoln Exit

AMC is “pleased with” The Walking Dead despite weaker ratings posted by season 8, AMC CFO Sean Sullivan said during a webcast investor conference (via THR).

AMC management is “pleased with the franchise,” Sullivan said, pointing out the long-running zombie saga has maintained “its dominant position.”

Sullivan then pointed to the company’s strong financial performance, saying AMC has “absorbed the ratings moderation of the show.”

On AMC’s original programming strategy in general, Sullivan admitted “it’s tough to stand out,” but said management is happy that “creatively, the team has done a great job.”

AMC’s franchise, inspired by Robert Kirkman’s comic book series, currently consists of flagship zombie drama The Walking Dead and three-year-old spinoff Fear The Walking Dead.

The two series crossed paths for the first time in April when longtime Walking Dead player Morgan Jones (Lennie James) crossed over to Fear at the start of season 4, joining its less-cramped cast.

The Walking Dead ended season 8 in April just shy of eight million viewers with season finale ‘Wrath’ bringing in 7.92 million viewers. The episode brought an end to the long-running conflict between Rick Grimes’ band of survivors and Negan’s Saviors, who had instigated the strife midway through season 6 in 2015.

In March, The Walking Dead posted its lowest ratings since its first season in 2010, bringing in just a 2.9 rating in adults 18—49 and 6.8 million viewers in Nielsen Live+Same Day numbers with episode 8x10, ‘The Lost and the Plunderers.’

That episode immediately followed the mid-season premiere, ‘Honor,’ which controversially killed off longtime survivor Carl Grimes (Chandler Riggs) after a two months-long cliffhanger where the teen revealed he had fallen victim to an incurable walker bite.

Ratings are at risk of dropping yet again after the looming exit of leading man Andrew Lincoln, who will be bowing out of the series after eight years sometime in the upcoming ninth season.

Lincoln has just six more episodes before his departure and will reportedly be “phased out” from the series, as will longtime co-star Lauren Cohan, who joined the series in season 2 in 2011.

Some have speculated Lincoln’s departure may be tied to the loss of the “engine” driving his character that came when season 8 decided to kill Carl, who in the books is poised to one day relieve Rick Grimes as leader.

“Searching for his wife and his son were the two engines that kept this man alive at the beginning of the show eight years,” Lincoln told ComicBook.com in April.

“To lose the second engine that fueled him, at this point, certainly did feel, to me personally, not just the end of a chapter but a book, really.”
AMC Defends ‘The Walking Dead’s Falling Ratings

The Walking Dead will be giving its female characters their due time in the spotlight when Season Nine rolls around.

New showrunner Angela Kang, who steps in as former helmer Scott Gimple moves to a Chief Content Officer role, opened up about the upcoming season during a "The Kick-Ass Women of AMC" panel. Fittingly enough, she made strong promises about the zombie show's female characters.

"We're going to see some really great stories with the women on our show, particularly," Kang said. "And I think for people who are really invested in say Michonne, Maggie, Carol, there's such great material for them as well as, of course, Rick and Daryl, and those other characters that we love, but for people who are looking for that specifically they will really see some incredible work from our women."
New 'The Walking Dead' Showrunner Making Big Female Character Promises

I am probably going to get Overkill's TWD game when it comes out. It looks to be the closest experience you can to being in the Kirkman's world. Thing is I'm going have a huge problems with accepting the realism in this game, for knowing TWD so well. LOL

Last edited:
The Walking Dead
executive producer and former showrunner Scott Gimple says the television series deviates from Robert Kirkman’s source material to keep things fresh for comic book readers.

“Being a fan of it to start with, you want to do right by the moments that you've seen. But to do right by the moments you've seen, sometimes you have to remix them because people like myself who are familiar with the work know what's coming,” Gimple said during AMC’s ‘From Book to Screen’ panel Saturday (via INSIDER).

“So you're not going to get that surprise. You're not going to get that emotional twist. You're not going to get that build. So to do right by the book, to tell the book with absolute fidelity sometimes, you have to change it. That said, you're sort of like sneakily trying to get into the same exact thing that Robert did, and to do that it takes a little bit of misdirection.”

Gimple, who boarded the series as a writer-producer in its second season in 2011, said he argued with Kirkman early on after the comic book creator encouraged deviations from his source material.

“Back when we started, Robert and I argued a lot because I wanted to do the book just as the book and he actually wanted to do changes because he had already done it,” Gimple said.

“And, yeah, I wanted to see those moments that I saw in the book. And yet, as I worked more and more on it, because I was so familiar with those moments, I knew that making those little twists to give the reader, it's actually doing right by the people who read the book and know what's coming. You try to put them in a place where they don't know what's coming, which is what reading the book is like.”

In straying from the comic book, Gimple said, reimagining the comics for television meant invoking the same kind of experience and feelings without a page-for-page translation.

“It's been a learning experience. It's been finding out how to drift away from the text to get back to the text or to elicit feelings just exactly like the text,” Gimple explained.

“And then, there's just the butterfly effect. There's little changes in the book that just ripple bigger, and bigger, and bigger. Daryl's not from the book. There's also television. Television is a different medium than comics even just from a practical point of view. There are characters in the book, main characters, that drift away for like 17 issues. And that's weird in television.”

One of the bigger changes from the book to screen was the survival and subsequent evolution of Carol (Melissa McBride), who in the comic book committed suicide by walker in issue #42.

“Taking that backstory that Robert had, but then playing it out, that was a big part of, as far as the transformation... the drift from comic to TV that even when I was just writer/producer was really a big focus of mine,” said Gimple, who served as showrunner from seasons 4 through 8 before being elevated to chief content officer of the entire Walking Dead brand for AMC.

The producer didn’t expand on the controversial decision to kill Carl Grimes midway through season 8 — arguably the biggest shift from the comics, where Carl Grimes is poised to one day step up as leader in the place of Rick Grimes — but said he personally feels a “responsibility” to do right by Kirkman’s original work.

“I wouldn't be doing it unless this person sat down and did all this work that I enjoyed so much. It's, in some ways, from an emotional standpoint, it's easier because you have this amazing material,” Gimple said.

“But there's also this benefit of feeling the pressure of doing right by the person who started it. Robert is someone I used to go see on panels I used to stand in line to see and then I can say he's become a friend.”
‘The Walking Dead’ Executive Producer Explains Extreme Changes From the Comic Book

Interesting that he says in a way he is trying to do the same as Robert did, but in a different direction. Maybe means he has a substitute for Carl in taking a key role. Although I wish this guy had been kept as a producer rather than elevated.