The Walking Dead - Season 5 and onwards

Kirkman's claiming that Carl might not die. First Gimple got sacked and now this... is AMC panicking?

Kirkman, who writes The Walking Dead comic as well as working as a producer on the TV adaptation, talked to fans at a panel recently and suggested the possibility that Carl, who got bit by a zombie recently, might not be quite as dead as he appears.

“He’s not dead yet,” Kirkman said, according to ComicBook.com. “He might not die. You never know. But I think if, were that to happen, I think it would have some interesting ramifications on Rick, that I think would energize and really kind of set things in motion in a really interesting way leading to the resolution of All Out War in a way that will make for a very exciting back half to season 8, so I think it’s going to be really cool.”

There are two ways to take this comment. As a means of placing doubt in the minds of his audience, just in case the show does end up pulling some wacky plot maneuvers to somehow keep Carl Grimes alive. Or, this is just plausible deniability, and that boy is as good as dead.

Kirkman also talked about whether or not Carl’s death would impact further adaptation from the comics. He’s not worried. “I think there’s a lot of great stuff from the comic that will be adapted into the show in season 9 or beyond,” he said. “Comic book fans might be excited about the possibility of the Whisperers showing up in the show. I’m not confirming that, but I definitely would not rule it out.”
https://io9.gizmodo.com/robert-kirkman-teases-that-an-important-character-might-1822693756

Just read about gimple. He was promoted not sacked! And a writer promoted by him to show runner. Neither sounds good does it?

If Carl lives the show will lose any credibiliy it has left. We haven't had any previous survivors from bites except Hershel, due to a quick ampution before the virus could spread. It would only be acceptable if there was previous examples of bitten survivors

Reactions: ctg

Some epic fails. The success video only demonstrates a couple that works against these multiple items that fail against the science simile. What surprised me in those items were the effectiveness of Gladius, weapon I chose for the major antagonists in From Exopolis to Necropolis and Till I Die.

If Carl lives the show will lose any credibiliy it has left. We haven't had any previous survivors from bites except Hershel, due to a quick ampution before the virus could spread. It would only be acceptable if there was previous examples of bitten survivors
Though it might help the storyline in the long run as it seems he should have been an important character really. But I think the comments about him surviving are just Kirkman trying to keep people interested or unsure in what is going to happen.

But I think the comments about him surviving are just Kirkman trying to keep people interested or unsure in what is going to happen.

In comics, and it's documented in the letters section, if you dared to say you liked someone, you were assured to find them killed in the future. It's how Kirkman got his ruthless reputation on being even worse to his characters than GRRM. But, this isn't his production, it's AMC's. It's them who ultimately get what they pay for. So, if they want Carl to live after everything that was said, it's going to most likely to happen. But I agree that this is most likely them playing time, hoping somehow healing what they cocked up. All Out War is one of fastest events to read in Kirkman's series. It's action backed, characters die, some absolutely ridiculous things happen and at the end ... [censored].

I'm not looking forward to it. You guys know how I feel about the current season. It does not make me want to write anything. Not talking about promoting it.

Well, the show isn't great television these days, but it's still an 8-year investment that I can't simply discard. I'll have to see it through to its bitter (I assume) end.

I’m not particularly optimistic. If there are improvements to be made in the writing they won’t happen till season 9. But we can hope.

Lauren Cohan has booked a new ABC show as her future with AMC's The Walking Dead remains uncertain.

Cohan, who has been fielding pilot season offers left and right during The Walking Dead's production hiatus, booked a lead role on the ABC drama pilot Whiskey Cavalier. The Hollywood Reporter says Cohan "had been actively looking for her next role as she battles AMC over her season nine salary." As of right now, the actress does not have a contract in place to bring her back for episodes beyond Season Eight's finale.

Sources say Cohan and her agents are not happy with the offers that have been on the table from AMC," THR reports. "Although Cohan is not seeking salary parity with male leads Andrew Lincoln and Norman Reedus, her camp and AMC have been engaged in a months-long negotiation that remains far apart. Insiders suggest that Cohan was actively looking for her next job and not trying to use the pilot casting process to force AMC's hand as the actress' camp remains frustrated by AMC's lowball offers."

On the contrary, however, other leads point out that AMC has most "aggressive offers" to re-sign Cohan for Season Nine.

The move by Cohan and company might be a bold power play to up AMC's offers for the actress' next contract. She could ultimately take the role on Whiskey Cavalier as a regular and exit the AMC zombie drama as its regulars are not allowed to have such obligations to other titles. Whiskey Cavalier can move forward with Cohan but merely feature her in a handful of episodes as she fulfills duties of an eventual Season Nine contract. Alternatively, Whiskey Cavalier might not be picked up to series and AMC would re-gain any upper hand in the negotiations and Cohan would still have the choice of whether or not she wishes to return.

The pilot itself likely will not interfere with production schedules for The Walking Dead Season Nine which is set to begin in late April or early May.
Lauren Cohan Books New ABC Show, No 'The Walking Dead' Season 9 Contract

I'm starting to see this going down like the sister series for the Babylon 5. AMC is doing TNT's. They already have brought in naked trash people and made them into a central role.

Lauren could certainly do well in Hollywood so I'm not so surprised she appears to be looking for something different. I don't think Walking Dead can afford to her lose her yet but anyway I 'm surprised season 9 hasn't started filming yet. In fact it would make sense if when filming one season the cast for the following season has already been confirmed. It seems season 8 is released before they are certain if all surviving characters will return.
Once major cast start to leave it is even more difficult to continue a sensible story. I reckon they will afford her for a while yet.

Once major cast start to leave it is even more difficult to continue a sensible story. I reckon they will afford her for a while yet.

Well they offed Carl and his storyline. Morgan is moving to Fear, Rick might follow him. So it's most likely that there is going to be either a great culling or they're going to do a time-jump between the seasons. AMC has a great chance to end this here and continued with more freedom with the Fear as they don't have to follow Kirkman's original storyline.

The Walking Dead showrunner Scott Gimple says the looming season 8 finale will bring a "conclusion" to the ongoing war between the Saviors and the AHK alliance.

“We will see a resolution of the war,” Gimple tells TV Line. “It might not be what people are expecting. It might not be what some of the characters even want. But it is a conclusion, and they have to deal with its aftermath.”

Will fan-favorites Glenn and Abraham be avenged by war's end? Gimple is aware it will be tough for any resolution to the strife to completely satisfy viewers, but, Gimple says, "I pray to God that they are satisfied.

“I really hope they are. It is a war. There are casualties along the way, and it is incredibly tough business. But it only shows just how deeply connected these characters are and how their fates are tied together, even if some of them don’t want them to be.”

The Walking Dead tends to kill major characters in its most pivotal episodes — season openers, mid-season finales, mid-season returns and season closers — but the death of Carl in 8x09 doesn't mean All Out War has seen its last victim by season's end.

“I would never tell the audience that it was safe to exhale,” Gimple says. “It is a devastating world that these characters live in, but there is still beauty and hope.”

Gimple previously told Entertainment Weekly the "very big" finale doesn't just wrap up season 8, it "very much sets up the start of the next story."

Fans familiar with The Walking Dead comic books may be anticipating certain beats, but how things play out in the show will be "quite different in a lot of ways."

"There are some big changes that change the very outcome of certain aspects of the story — still trying to be true to the emotions of the story, but changing some big parts of it," Gimple said. "It plays out very differently.”

The executive producer will exit his post as showrunner come season 9, following his promotion to chief content officer for the entire Walking Dead brand for AMC. Writer and producer Angela Kang, who has been with the series since its second season in 2011, takes over as new showrunner for season 9.
'The Walking Dead' Showrunner Talks Unexpected Season 8 Finale

vw5e3gbrftlh5ceam8ry.jpg

In the season 8 final. Rick without his beard and Carl as the young one.

Argh the new season of FTWD airs Sunday in US straight after the season finale of TWD. In the UK we have to wait till 23rd April.

I wonder if I'll be able to resist reading the insights on the show before I see it.