The Walking Dead - Season 5 and onwards

Daryl one is a full-blown one so far. Negan and Maggy, don't know. Carol, don't know. Michonne and Rick, I really doubt it's going to be done.

The Walking Dead is ending. The Walking Dead Universe lives on. AMC+ has revealed the first posters for the Walking Dead spin-off shows coming to the streamer and cable channel AMC next year, joining the ongoing Fear the Walking Dead Season 8. First, frenemies Maggie (Lauren Cohan) and Negan (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) take Manhattan in The Walking Dead: Dead City. Then Daryl (Norman Reedus) is shipped overseas to Europe and finds himself in Paris, France, in Daryl Dixon. And finally — years after being torn apart by time and distance — the epic love story of Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) and Michonne (Danai Gurira) continues in Rick & Michonne.

The teaser posters, which you can check out below, dropped on AMC+. (Note that the Daryl Dixon and Rick & Michonne posters are repurposed production stills from The Walking Dead: Daryl only recently began shooting in France, and the Richonne series won't begin production until early next year.)

He's saying the same thing. They have things planned. The Fear related sub film was a flop and only works as a B-movie. Fear itself has flopped and is in the dire stress because it needs to change so much. Their successes have been TWD, World Beyond and Tales of the Walking Dead.

I have some hopes for the Daryl one, but the thing is their stories needs to still bide to the rules of the Kirkman world, even if they're showing the zombie evolution, and deepening the myth.

Fear itself has flopped and is in the dire stress because it needs to change so much. Their successes have been TWD, World Beyond and Tales of the Walking Dead.
Even TWD seems to have entered housekeeping mode rather than heading toward some sort of dramatic finale befitting a long-running series.
I do wonder what is to become of Carol. Will she exit dead or alive?

Maybe that is a good mystery. Maybe she should just disappear, leaving the question open-ended.
Maybe that's the plan.
Like the others who have left, she could be reactivated for another future spin-off. Melissa McBride might be looking for work in the foreseeable future.

Reactions: ctg
Maybe that's the plan.
Like the others who have left, she could be reactivated for another future spin-off. Melissa McBride might be looking for work in the foreseeable future.
Honestly, she's going to have something, if she wants to. The same goes to main cast. It might be cool to see a lot of cast in the other projects. Not just in the AMC. The big move from them is to set Daryl's series in the Europe. It's quite a rare to have success access on US program, and I hope it'll shows the Old Country in a good "bad" light.

As AMC preps to air the final episode of The Walking Dead later this week, the creator behind the comic series the show is based on has sued the network once again. After Robert Kirkman's first lawsuit against the network stalled in courts, Kirkman and other producers from the show—Gale Anne Hurd, David Alpert, Charles Eglee, and Glenn Mazzara—have sued AMC for an alleged breach of contract. The suit is seeking $200 million in damages for the group of producers.

"Even though AMC exploited Plaintiffs' ideas and services to make billions from The Walking Dead franchise, AMC issued a MAGR definition that, in its original form, would not have paid out a single dollar in profit participation to Plaintiffs," the suit reads (via Deadline). "Unsurprisingly, AMC's MAGR definition has spurred a storm of disputes with the creative talent on The Walking Dead that ultimately resulted in litigation."

Filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, the filing adds that the "Plaintiffs are entitled to the same treatment afforded to Darabont with respect to his MAGR interests, they are therefore entitled to have the same valuation applied to their MAGR interests, which, collectively, exceed Darabont's and CAA's."

That comment is referencing the settlement made between former Walking Dead showrunner Frank Darabont and AMC in 2021. An outside lawyer for AMC told the trade the lawsuit was "just another crass money grab."

"Robert Kirkman, David Alpert and the rest of these plaintiffs have had their biggest claims against AMC Networks thrown out of court twice, so now they are back with another lawsuit," Gibson Dunn partner Orin Snyder told Deadline. "And another lawsuit means another attempt to rewrite their agreements and extract even more than the millions they have already been paid, and will be paid in the future, for their profit participation in The Walking Dead. This is just another crass money grab. We are confident it will fail, as their previous attempts have failed."

sigh

Viewers see both Rick (Andrew Lincoln) and Michonne (Danai Gurira) separately compose letters to their daughter Judith before taking off into the zombie wilderness to make their family whole once again.

Fans have been waiting for such a moment ever since Rick left the series back in 2018. And soon they’ll get to see the proper conclusion to Rick Grimes’ story, albeit not in a way as originally envisioned. Immediately following Rick’s final episode on The Walking Dead, AMC revealed that the character’s story would be continuing in a series of feature films directed by Walking Dead universe czar Scott Gimple. And all parties were adamant that this would be a proper cinematic experience – not merely a dressed up TV movie.

Alas time goes on and plans change … particularly when confronted with the reality of an unexpected worldwide pandemic. News of a Rick Grimes movie was scarce and there was no scheduled shooting date to be found. Eventually, AMC announced that Rick’s story would conclude, alongside his partner Michonne, as part of a new six-episode TV series. According to Nicotero, the move from film to television was all a part of the traditional creative process.
“Several iterations of the (movie) script flew around and it just ended up not coming to fruition, Nicotero says. “The idea of doing a Rick Grimes show popped up a year and a half ago probably. I don’t think anybody really thought it was gonna happen. Lo’ and behold, as we get closer we start realizing ‘look, if we’re not going to do the movies then maybe there’s a show there.'”

Nicotero adds that they shot the finale footage with Lincoln and Gurira in Georgia this August.

“It was like no time had passed,” Nicotero says of reuniting with the two Walking Dead leads. “It felt like we were shooting something important and something I want to be a part of. Andy is just as committed to finishing his story as anybody.”

So, no more movies. Instead, we'll get a mini-series explaining what happened to Ricknator.

In an interview with the AMC Blog, Gimple confirmed there are plans to continue the franchise beyond the three sequel series to the original show. The focus now is on launching this wave of The Walking Dead spin-off shows.

"I will say, I'm hoping these are the first stories and characters we explore, and I really hope we do more," Gimple said, also revealing plans to explore old characters on the episodic anthology Tales of the Walking Dead. "I hope we get to do that eventually and I really, really do want to get into these other characters and other mythologies and other situations, so I'm hoping these are the first."

The ambition is to produce "more Tales episodes or limited series or spin-offs," Gimple said. "I have a lot of dreams of doing more. Right now, we're concentrating on these, but give us a little while, and I hope that we can jump into other characters."

Gimple continued: "In some ways, we are working on some, but we're not urgently working on them. We want to get these shows up on their feet and then start widening out the world again."

AMC Networks has set a premiere timeline for three seasons of Walking Dead spin-offs releasing in 2023, including The Walking Dead: Daryl Dixon. During its day at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour, the cable channel announced the upcoming eighth season of Fear the Walking Dead, debuting in May, would be its last. AMC also revealed timelines for three new shows starring characters from the now-ended flagship series: duos Maggie (Lauren Cohan) and Negan (Jeffrey Dean Morgan), Michonne (Danai Gurira) and Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln), and the solo Daryl (Norman Reedus).

The Walking Dead: Dead City, about Maggie and Negan's tumultuous trip into post-apocalyptic New York City, has shifted from April to June 2023, following the first half of Fear's two-part, 12-episode final season in May. AMC also confirmed Daryl Dixon, which began filming in October in France, is slated to premiere later this year. An official debut date will be announced later.

The six-episode first season of Reedus' Walking Dead spin-off could arrive as early as August — a month that has seen the debut of seasons of Fear and Tales of the Walking Dead — or as late as October, traditionally reserved for season premieres of The Walking Dead. Fall 2023 is more open now that the Rick & Michonne series reuniting Lincoln and Gurira has been pushed back to 2024.

After riding out west to explore the "frontier" in the November series finale of The Walking Dead, Reedus' solo series follows Daryl as he "wakes up and finds himself somewhere on the European continent and tries to piece together what happened," revealed AMC president Dan McDermott. "How did he get here? How's he going to get home?"

Originally developed as the Daryl & Carol spin-off co-starring Reedus and Melissa McBride, the Europe-set Daryl Dixon is showran by ER and Mercy Street showrunner David Zabel. Scott M. Gimple and Angela Kang, who developed the original road trip version of Daryl & Carol, serve as executive producers alongside veteran Walking Dead director Greg Nicotero.

"I don't want to say too much. I just think that it really sort of embraces a Stranger In a Strange Land kind of scenario, where we're exploring post-apocalyptic Europe through the eyes of Daryl Dixon," Nicotero exclusively told ComicBook. Featuring a cast that includes TWD Universe newcomers Clémence Poésy and Adam Nagaitis, the Reedus-led spin-off "really just is a different animal."

"And I even was sort of surprised, myself, standing on set and going, 'I've been on Walking Dead for 12 years and here we are,'" Nicotero added of the France-shot Daryl Dixon. "But it feels fresh and it feels new. And David Zabel, our showrunner, has been an absolute joy to collaborate with. And it's been really fun."

So the big thing here is that Fear is going to its final season. Tales comes out at some point, and Reedus pilot will air later this year.

Maggie and Negan may be heading to New York City, but The Walking Dead: Dead City could be on a collision course with other spinoffs in the Walking Dead Universe. Set years after the series finale of The Walking Dead, the new series from showrunner Eli Jorné picks up with Maggie (Lauren Cohan) and Negan (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) as they travel into a post-apocalyptic Manhattan long ago cut off from the mainland. That's not far from the last sighting of Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) — on the New Jersey side of the Delaware River — after his failed escape attempt from the Civic Republic in Philadelphia.

"I think the door is open because we are all on the same timeline," Morgan told E! News about a potential crossover with other Walking Dead spinoffs. "They are existing at the same time. So I think there is the opportunity to bring a character from this show, a character from that show, and do something else that can continue."

That includes Fear the Walking Dead, which will undergo a seven-year time jump to bring its eighth and final season in step with the rest of the Walking Dead Universe: in 2023, or 13 years post-outbreak.

Cohan added "there's hope of a collision" with the other shows. Along with Dead City, AMC Networks has slated The Walking Dead: Daryl Dixon, which finds Daryl (Norman Reedus) stranded overseas in France, and The Walking Dead: Rick & Michonne, reuniting Rick and Michonne (Danai Gurira) in a never-before-seen corner of the TWD Universe.

Morgan also said that "everyone is very excited about the respective spinoffs and what can come next" after their initial six-episode first seasons. Should familiar faces return on Dead City, it wouldn't be new territory for the franchise.

Would you guys like me to do episodic or a single thread for this show?

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." AMC keeps enemies Maggie (Lauren Cohan) and Negan (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) close in The Walking Dead: Dead City, the new Walking Dead spin-off series sending the uneasy allies traveling together into post-apocalyptic New York City. Dead City consists of six episodes that will air in the 9 p.m. Sundays time slot starting June 18th (June 15th on AMC+). If you're chomping at the bit to take a bite out of Dead City, AMC has released the season's episode titles and official plot descriptions — and while they're vague, be warned of potential spoilers ahead.

The logline: "The Walking Dead: Dead City follows the popular Maggie (Lauren Cohan) and Negan (Jeffery Dean Morgan) characters traveling into a post-apocalyptic Manhattan, long ago cut off from the mainland. The crumbling city is filled with the dead and denizens who have made New York City their own world full of anarchy, danger, beauty, and terror."

Episode 101: "Old Acquaintances" — (June 15th on AMC+, June 18th on AMC)
Maggie finds Negan, and they travel to Manhattan; a marshal named Armstrong follows Negan; we meet a quiet young girl named Ginny.

Episode 102: "Who's There?" — (June 22nd on AMC+, June 25th on AMC)
Maggie and Negan encounter native New Yorkers; Armstrong revisits a trauma; Ginny attempts to adapt to change.

Episode 103: "People Are A Resource" — (June 29th on AMC+, July 2nd on AMC)
Dark instincts reveal themselves as Maggie and Negan form a strategy; Armstrong is tested; Ginny embarks on a daring journey.

Episode 104: "Everybody Wins A Prize" — (July 6th on AMC+, July 9th on AMC)
Maggie and Negan carry out an attack, but not everything unfolds according to plan; Ginny and Armstrong each make unexpected contact with others.

Episode 105: "Stories We Tell Ourselves" — (July 13th on AMC+, July 16th on AMC)
Truths are unearthed and motives are revealed as Maggie, Negan, and the others travel further into the city's depths.

Episode 106: "Doma Smo" (Season Finale) — (July 20th on AMC+, July 23rd on AMC)
Tensions between Maggie and Negan come to a head; Ginny's search continues; questions arise around Armstrong's path forward.

Cohan and Morgan lead a cast that includes Gaius Charles (Grey's Anatomy) as New Babylon lawman Perlie Armstrong, Željko Ivanek (Damages) as The Croat, Logan Kim (Ghostbusters: Afterlife) as Hershel Rhee, Mahina Napoleon (NCIS: Hawai'i) as Ginny, Jonathan Higginbotham (The Blacklist) as Tommaso, Trey Santiago-Hudson (New Amsterdam) as Jano, and Michael Anthony (The Game) as Luther.

The Walking Dead: Dead City premieres Thursday, June 15th on AMC+ and Sunday, June 18th on AMC

Comes out at 18th. As it's just six episodes, my personal preference is a single thread, but I leave it up to you.

The Walking Dead: Dead City will first be released in the US in April 2023 on AMC. No release date or platform has currently been confirmed for the UK.

Currently, The Walking Dead franchise airs on varied platforms in the UK: The Walking Dead, which is about to finish airing new episodes, is available on Disney Plus, while The Walking Dead: World Beyond is streaming on Prime Video and Fear The Walking Dead is available on both Prime Video and AMC on BT TV.

We'll keep this page updated as soon as more news becomes available as to when and where UK fans will be able to watch the series.

One of our Twitter friends, Judith (@RoodJood), checked and received confirmation from AMC that UK viewers can watch Dead City on Disney+.

This is excellent -- far better than Fear the Walking Dead has become -- even better than the last season of The Walking Dead.
Too bad Dead City will be so short. I hope the other planned mini-spinoffs will be as good.

This is excellent -- far better than Fear the Walking Dead has become -- even better than the last season of The Walking Dead.
Too bad Dead City will be so short. I hope the other planned mini-spinoffs will be as good.
Yea, but I wish you'd have said something five weeks ago, lol

Yea, but I wish you'd have said something five weeks ago, lol
It snuck up on me, as did the resumption of FTWD.
Series schedules have become entirely too chaotic for me to track. Even when they show up on my recordings, I often assume that they're just reruns.

Last edited: