Whom do you think Are Cinemas One Hit Wonders ?

Peter Fonda (as director), The Hired Hand.
Barbara Loden (as director), Wanda.
Albert Lewin, maybe. He directed The Picture of Dorian Gray and the sublime Pandora and the Flying Dutchman, but little else of note.

Orson Wells as a director. Others might disagree. But for me he made Citizen Kane and could never live up to it afterwards. I think it dogged his career and other people's opinions for the rest of his life.
In film, I think it really hard to be a one-hit-wonder unless you really do come from left-field or are a kid and choose not to carry on.
Positive o-h-w Carrie Henn [Aliens, 1986]. Tried acting once and decided not to go on.

Orson Wells as a director. Others might disagree. But for me he made Citizen Kane and could never live up to it afterwards. I think it dogged his career and other people's opinions for the rest of his life.
Yes, I strongly disagree. Othello, Chimes at Midnight, even F for Fake are brilliant films. And the reconstructed version of The Other Side of the Wind shows him to have been way ahead of his time even in his old age.

Slava Tsukerman, dir., Liquid Sky.
W.D. Richter, dir., The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai.

In film, I think it really hard to be a one-hit-wonder unless you really do come from left-field or are a kid and choose not to carry on.
Positive o-h-w Carrie Henn [Aliens, 1986]. Tried acting once and decided not to go on.

In the case of Wells, being remembered for Citizen Kane is not necessarily a bad thing. It's an amazing film.:cool:(y)

Back