Trailer for proposed "Dreamlands" film

j d worthington

The director of "Die Farbe", which was based on Lovecraft's "The Colour Out of Space", and which has won quite a few accolades, is attempting to put together backing for a film dealing with Lovecraft's Dreamlands. He has put together a trailer giving some idea of the nature of the film, and if he follows what he has here, it looks like something well worth seeing.

I'm not normally one to promote something of this nature, but as it stands now, I'm passing along the post from the Lovecraft e-zine, which includes a link to the trailer. If nothing else, I hope you enjoy the trailer; and yes, I think this is a project worthy of aid....

“The Dreamlands” stunning 6 minute trailer | Lovecraft eZine

I've watched this many times, and it enthralls me. It fills me with many emotions and realizations. There is an intimacy tied to Lovecraftian things when one is an obsessive writer of Lovecraftian books. It comes, perhaps, from delving over and over again into Lovecraft's excellent fiction and allowing that fiction to find a place deep inside one's psyche. It makes walking the streets of Providence a magical experience, because Providence lives so fully in the stories, in a purely Lovecraftian way.

So when I see that trailer and actually see the strange high house on the face of the cliff, it thrills me acutely. Every time I see those mountains of madness begin to crumble I quake with emotion, and it never ceases to bring tears to my eyes when I behold that beautiful white ship. And I wonder about those pillars seen in crimson nightmare--are they a phantom of Irem? And the mask on the table--of what is it composed, it looks so unearthly! It is a motif with which, as an author, I am obsessed, and it haunts me whenever I see the mask that they have constructed for this film. It is all so perfectly Lovecraftian, and yet with its own sense, its own style. Magnificent!

Yes, a lot of it struck me in much the same way. Of course, your own use of masks in your fiction bears much of that sort of complexity of interpretability, and it seems to be a very important motif for you (in my estimation), so it isn't surprising that that detail would so enrapture you... especially as (for me, at least) it seems an odd but effective combination of referring to the face seen on Ngranek and almost an inversion of Chambers' "pallid mask".

I do hope this one gets made, as what he has here captures very well much of the atmosphere of those tales, yet remains true to the larger vision HPL had as well... much as some of Gary Myers' work does....

Very good and intriguing trailer. I'll keep an eye out for this one.

Unfortunately, things are so tight for me these days that I can't afford to send anything, else I would. Which is why I chose to do what I could... pass on the word. Stinks, but reality often does.....

Know that one well. Fortunately I have some stuff selling off, so I'll redirect any 'excess' (Ha!) proceeds.

As someone who isn't able, I thank you for the contribution. And, should things change here, this is definitely high on the list of things I want to get behind....

What's the method of payment on this? Can I use Paypal?

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to that one. I would imagine yes, as most legitimate sources do accept it, and I know this has produced some other finished projects... but I don't know for certain, I'm afraid.

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to that one. I would imagine yes, as most legitimate sources do accept it, and I know this has produced some other finished projects... but I don't know for certain, I'm afraid.

Why didn't they approach a company like Hammer to get this done as a full length feature ?