New Wheel of Time covers announced

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I know the existing covers are a little minimal, but I can't help but look at these new ones, and wonder if I'm looking at books from the 1950's:
The Wheel of Time - new UK covers

EyeoftheWorld_B-190x300.jpg
GreatHunt_B-191x300.jpg
DragonReborn_B-190x300.jpg

ShadowRising_B-191x300.jpg
FiresofHeaven_B-190x300.jpg
LordofChaos_B-190x300.jpg

etc...

Art director to work experience kid: "You can't touch the author's name, but everything else you can rescale, reposition -- have fun with it!"

I find those pretty hideous, especially compared to the current UK covers.

I also can't stand the Brandon Sanderson UK covers (the USA ones were no better there though). Which reminds me, Mark Lawrence had a good comparison of cover between the states and here.

Mark Lawrence: US Covers vs UK Covers!

They look messy. I'm not sure where I'm really looking for information - everything is just jumbled around and the title is almost a submissive element in the composition.

Also I hate this new minimal front covers approach that's all the rage - I can only assume that publishers have stopped wanting to pay artists for nice very pretty front cover art and are instead pushing for the layout designer to just throw something sort of together that works.

In a word. Horrible.

Much prefer the old covers, haven't read it yet, but I have about 6 of the old paperbacks second hand and will get the rest when I find them in good enough condition. I do like consistency on my shelves!

These editions won't be finding a space on my shelves - ugh.

I have to admit, I prefer the old, black covers as well. Mind you, they're the ones I started with, so I'm probably a bit biased.:)

They look terrible.

I've currently only got up to book 4 (currently reading book 3). Seeing those covers makes me want to go out and quickly finish my collection with the old covers before they stop being sold :/

You'll yet get fed up with some of the characters and also which the series had been edited down to six volumes. :)

"She pulled her braid" ... again.

This really upset! me! I'm currently working my way through the series and am stuck buying a different set of covers for CoT onwards!

Back