Moving On, What Next After Perp's Chrons Reading Challenge

Perpetual Man

Tim James
Supporter
As many of you will know I spent a lot longer than the few months envisaged reading through books written only by Chrons authors, both traditionally published and self published.

17 Months later and here I am finished.

But what next?

The talent that just buzzes from this site is phenomenal, not only is it evident in the writing challenges each month, but in these books as well - (and as an aside, the spirit of co-operation and assistance that is here too is beyond belief.)

A lot of the authors I have read through this period have won me over, so I will be reading more by a lot of you writers out there.

And if any of you become published one way or another and want me to add you to the old list, well just let me know. The door to the thread is closed but not locked.

So what next?

I've not got much to say apart from thank you for having done this!

I second that. Cheers, Perp, it's much appreciated.

Obviously the great pile of books I had has not got any smaller while I've been reading all these Chrons books. And not only has it grown, but I'll be adding to it with you talented authors from here.

But I have selected ten from the pile to read, and I added a few stipulations for myself - there had to be at least one Chronicles author in the list, one Spectral Press book (look for their thread), one new author, one graphic novel, one favourite author, one guilty pleasure, something others keep pushing on me ;)

And this what I have come up with:

The Wilful Princess and the Piebald Prince by Robin Hobb (Favourite Author)
Arms Commander by L E Modesitt Jr. (Guilty Pleasure)
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (New Author)
the way of the leaves by David Tallerman (Spectral Press)
Alcatraz and the Evil Librarian by Brandon Sanderson (Something I would not have bought for myself)
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut (A classic)
The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett & Stephen Baxter (Because I promised someone an age ago I'd read it)
Rat Queens by Kurtis J Weibe and Roc Upchurch (Graphic novel)
Journey to Altmortis by Thaddeus White (Chrons Author, guess who?)
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J K Rowling (to be read under protest with great pressure from Mrs Perp, IceFyre and his missus)

So what can I expect? What are the good ones, bad ones, excellent ones?

It was my pleasure Toby and Thad - both of you have added to the size of the pile.

Thank you, I think.

I have selected ten from the pile to read, and I added a few stipulations for myself - there had to be at least one Chronicles author in the list, one Spectral Press book (look for their thread), one new author, one graphic novel, one favourite author, one guilty pleasure, something others keep pushing on me ;)

I love the idea of setting reading challenges. I might try that myself!

Id love to hear what you think of the Hobb one since i havent read it. I'm in the middle of the farseer reread and loving it. Hobb = awesome

Cheers, Perp, hope you enjoy it.

I've not read that particular Hobb book (read the six of the Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies, and very much enjoyed them) so it'll be interesting to see what you make of it. Have you read anything by her?

I'll have a look, Egg. Haven't really explored Good Reads much, and there's so much on there. :)

Setting myself challenges is probably the only fun way I can work my way through the pile. Just looking at it is so daunting!

Goodreads is well worth a look, as you say there is a lot there, but the Chronicles group offers up some decent challenges, as Egg says. If I ever catch up I might even take part in one.... :rolleyes:

Ratsy - I agree about Robin Hobb. I have a massive pile of her books to catch up on.

I started Wilful Princess/Piebald Prince yesterday and well over halfway through. It is a very small book though, very enjoyable too.

Thad - Yes, I've read a lot all the Farseer books (to date, I believe there are more coming), The Liveship Traders, and the Soldier Son books, which despite getting a bit of a knocking by some people, I really enjoyed.

Perp, the Rain Wilds books are quite good too. I felt like it could have been compressed to 3 instead of 4 but I love Hobb so I will read anything I suppose. I am doing a re-read of all Fitz books to prep for the new one.

Have you read any of the Harry Potter books before? I've never touched them. And since you have had your hands full you probably haven't read much Sanderson. I would recommend reading anything and everything by him. :)

Harry Potter was something I never intended to read, but persistent badgering has led me to the point I will give them a try. I mean those big eyes, the pleading features, the little hand clasped together. Who could refuse that? (And that's just IceFyre)

I have read quite a bit of Sanderson, although not as much as I would have liked to - like Hobb I have a back log sitting on my shelf. When it was announced that he was going to be finishing The Wheel of Time I got hold of his Alloy books and really enjoyed them.

I can't help you -- Harry Potter is the only thing on that list that I have read (repeatedly, at that)! I won't say you won't regret it, but only because I have recommended fabulous books to friends before and had it blow up in my face because they inexplicably hated them. I blame the poor taste of my friends. Not my poor taste in friends, though. :)

I've finished The Wilful Princess and the Piebald Prince and really enjoyed it.

Next up:

The graphic novel Rat Queens

I just left my eyes on your desk as I was geting their canopic jar flushed out...

Sometimes I just wonder.... :rolleyes:

However, you nudged the thread which reminded me I finished Rat Queens and have now moved onto Arms Commander by L E Modesitt Jr.