Geoffrey Household

Extollager

Anyone want to start a discussion of the books and life of the author of Rogue Male?
Pictured below, the edition I have:
rogue+cover.jpg

I think I found that at a used book store in rural Illinois in the mid-1980s. Originally published Nov. 1945, price 25 cents.

http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/537621-espionage-novels-2.html#post1634460

Here's cover of a new edition:
rogue.jpg

I N T H E H O L L O W A Y

Thanks for this, Extollager. I know very little about Household although I intend to find out more. Rogue Male was read on BBC Radio 4 Extra in serial form a couple of months back and I was gripped by it. I missed a couple of episodes and so bought the book.

It's fascinating. The writing style and the story itself are practically unique. No spoilers here - because the protagonist, due to the very nature of the story, spends most of his time alone there is very little dialogue and much introspection but the author still manages to tell a gripping tale.

Now on my to-read list. Also want to say that the cover with the cat is fabulous.

(I've heard of the book's title many times, but never investigated because I insisted on thinking it was about an elephant-hunter. No idea why.)

It sort-of is. The hero is a former big game hunter who decides to take on really big game - people and, more exactly, a dictator.

As someone who is permanently banging on about Rogue Male, I probably ought to say why I like it so much.

Firstly, it does an enormous amount with very little. There are only two or three real characters, most of the action is very low-key, and, as you say, a lot of the story takes place in the narrator's mind. It's powerful not because of the body count (although lots of bits get chipped off the hero, in various ways) but because we see into the hero's head so well and understand what's at stake. His own mental change, as he starts to admit what his reasons are for his mission, is well-presented and follows his changes of circumstances.

Secondly, it's one of the few books that touches on a particular streak in the British psyche back then (and quite possibly now) that is usually only dealt with these days in parody. Our hero is a nice, friendly chap - and a unrelenting killer. His calmness actually makes him rather frightening: I find the scene where he assesses his wounds after being tortured and thrown off a cliff really quite unpleasant, because it is so restrained. He's like the Terminator with social skills. I can easily imagine him ending up in the Special Operations Executive or Auxiliary Units.

Thirdly, there's the land. It really is a book about being on and in the landscape and making use of it. Household really does sound as if he knows what he's talking about. Like a few bits of King Solomon's Mines, it almost feels quite mystic as the hero considers the land around him. Household seems to have worked out the practicalities of the story well: there isn't a sense of things working out for the narrator because he is the hero.

Fourthly, that bit at the end. Jason Bourne blowing up a house with a toaster is nothing compared to the narrator's disposal of his arch-enemy. I can't say much more because it would spoil it, but it's ingenious and gross in equal measure.

The only other Household book I've read was A Rough Shoot, a long time ago, which I thought was weaker and more conventional. I gather that he wrote more thrillers, including a sequel where the Rogue goes to the continent and blows most of it up, and a rather odd novel set in a jungle involving, IIRC, giant otters.

Another title in Mount TBR, along with his Dance of the Dwarfs and The Sending, which are to my knowledge his only supernatural thrillers.

Besides these, I know him for two things: "Taboo," which I recall as an excellent novella in Great Tales of Terror and the Supernatural and one of those stupid quips Spider Robinson used to inflict on us in his Galaxy review column, "Geoffrey Household -- not exactly a geoffrey name ..." and which I can't seem to forget in spite of trying.

Randy M.

I'm happy to see the interest here! Couple of questions.

1.It's years since I read Rogue Male. Would it qualify as a topographic romance?

Topographic Romance - Fancyclopedia 3

2.Household is certainly not a man of one book, but what else is well worth reading? I confess that I had a few of his books that I eventually disposed of without having read them, though I kept a couple. Maybe I made a mistake in letting the others go...

Other Household books I've read:

Dance Of The Dwarves: A chilling tale of a man on an isolated agricultural station in South America, who has reason to suspect some sort of sinister and obscure menace is stalking him.

Hostage: London : A taut, intense novel about a member of an extremist organisation who must fight time and foil his group's attempt to set off a nuclear device in London.

The Last Two Weeks Of Georges Rivac: far more light-hearted though equally suspenseful, about a young export agent who is dragged into the world of espionage unwittingly and has a pretty Hungarian spy along for the ride.

Household's novels remind me of Buchan sometimes, and that is a high compliment for a thriller writer. Some thriller writers dress up their plots with a bit of characterisation, but with Household character study and plot development are inextricably tied together. I have a few more of his books shelved away to be read at a later date. Certainly much more than a one-book author!