NBC's Constantine starts this Autumn

Watched the first episode - quite enjoyed it - especially because there are so many connections to the Hellblazer comics I enjoued - not least making Newcastle a feature. :)

A lot had been Americanised - such as John's companions, but that's not a big deal. I get a sense that they're looking to the audience of Supernatural.

Looking forward to seeing how this series pans out. :)

Last edited:
Enjoyed the first two episodes, looking forward to more! John's a great character and well portrayed.

There was a little smoking these week as he came into town but the cigarette itself wasn't shown. Then later he almost lights one but puts it away! Guess they'll play around the edges of that one by (almost) never showing a lit cig being smoked (leaving myself a little wiggle room there :D)

How are the rating numbers for the show so far ?

How are the rating numbers for the show so far ?

I don't claim to know what all this means, but it sounds good! Source: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...for-the-week-of-october-27-november-2/324006/

“Constantine” (0.9/3 in 18-49, 3.1 million viewers overall from 10-11 p.m. ET) retained 82% of its adult 18-49 lead-in from “Grimm,” 90% in men 18-49 (0.9 vs. 1.0), 83% in adults 18-34 (0.5 vs. 0.6) and 100% in men 18-34 (0.5 vs. 0.5).

L+3: The previous week’s “Constantine” on Oct. 24 grew by +44% in 18-49 (from a 1.39 to a 2.00) and 1.9 million viewers overall (4.3 million vs. 6.2 million) going from L+SD to L+3. The Oct. 24 “Constantine” was the #1 non-sports telecast in the hour on the Big 4 networks in L+3 18-49 ratings.

Loving the series so far, just not sure about his accent, Constantine came from Liverpool and spent some of his youth in Northampton, home town of Alan Moore and myself, and yet he has the voice of a welsh pirate?

Loving the series so far, just not sure about his accent, Constantine came from Liverpool and spent some of his youth in Northampton, home town of Alan Moore and myself, and yet he has the voice of a welsh pirate?

Could be because Matt Ryan is actually Welsh and the U.S. audience wouldn't really be able to tell the difference?

There is so Liverpool accent there for sure, but he does not sound like Welsh to me. Far from it. But what I liked especially was the last scene with him packing some smokes, and if you were looking closely the paintings sitting on the sofa, you see Constantine lighting up one. I just hope this doesn't turn to a series of "monster-of-the-week," but they keep trumping up the long arc.

I was a huge fan of the comic back when it began. Although I am a loyal Team Delano reader and really hated the relatively rough edges to the writing and character development that Garth Ennis brought. I know I'm in the vast minority in the Hellblazer fandom, but I always thought Ennis was a hack, and I stopped reading the book somewhere in the #70s. As far as the television show goes, it seems a bit like they're borrowing at least as much from Ennis' interpretation as Delano's. I understand why, but I'm still a little wary of that.

Ryan's acting is a little uneven. I think he feels the need to hit some of his lines a little too hard, in order to seem edgy or complex. But they nailed the physical resemblance.

I do think we're steering straight into a monster-of-the-week arrangement. Although I'll probably continue watching unless it becomes unbearably bad. Or cancelled.

I was a huge fan of the comic back when it began. Although I am a loyal Team Delano reader and really hated the relatively rough edges to the writing and character development that Garth Ennis brought. I know I'm in the vast minority in the Hellblazer fandom, but I always thought Ennis was a hack, and I stopped reading the book somewhere in the #70s. As far as the television show goes, it seems a bit like they're borrowing at least as much from Ennis' interpretation as Delano's. I understand why, but I'm still a little wary of that.

I enjoyed the first Ennis story - pint of Guiness in a magic circle, anyone? ;)

But after that - it seemed to lose all subtlety and I stopped around the #70's as well.

TV series tend to mature over a couple of seasons, so the fact that it's started on the right foot can only be a good thing.

And welcome to chronicles. :)

How are the shows numbers at this point? Will it get renewal?:unsure:

Ryan's acting is a little uneven. I think he feels the need to hit some of his lines a little too hard, in order to seem edgy or complex. But they nailed the physical resemblance.

I do think we're steering straight into a monster-of-the-week arrangement. Although I'll probably continue watching unless it becomes unbearably bad. Or cancelled.

I agree - he veers from Liverpudlian to Welsh quite a lot but I assumed that non-brits wouldn't be too informed on that accent so it would pass. I also agree his stressing on some of his lines is a bit...off. However it's largely a good choice and really nice to see someone who is not a Poster Boy in this role.

The arc seems hit and miss to me, and a little muddled, and I certainly think they need to up the stakes with Perrineau's character who seems a little bit of a cypher at the mo. However I will keep watching as I'm enjoying it (and I love the opening credits :) )

pH