Best smartphone?

The size aspect :D
I've been directed towards the upcoming Xperia Z3 Compact, due for UK release this month. I'll want to get hands on with a few devices before I decide though.

If you're already on a contract and just moving phone, you can't really go wrong with the Z3 compact IMO.

However, if buying PAYG then the Xperia Z1 compact would give you better value, without losing anything more than 4K recording and extended PS4 compatibility:
http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/phones/xperia-z3-compact/

I am still so surprised that Apple hasn't tried to release a waterproof iPhone.

Yeah I'll be sticking with my voda contract thanks to the handy corporate discount I get from work :)

Waterproof isn't high on my list of wants, but it seems to be a nice addition to some android phones recently. Handy if I drop it in a pint I guess ;)

My HTC Desire HD died when I accidentally dropped it in a rock pool. It was an expensive mistake, and not one I want to repeat!

iPhones apparently have a nasty habit of diving into toilets. Mine goes nowhere near the bathroom. But my wife happily listens to music in the bath on her Xperia Z1.

8 has actually fixed some of the instability my ipad was experiencing with apps spontaneously closing due to presumably a lack of memory. Or it could have been the JB ;)

Got my hands on a friend's Galaxy S5 and I must say it doesn't feel as massive as I thought it would. Light and thin, fits in my front pocket easily too.

Maybe I've been too negative about giant phones, but I'll need to have a play with an M8 before making the final decision.

Whatever I go for I'm thinking it'll be a stop-gap til something awesome comes out in the next 12-18 months!!

My wife's Xperia Z1 is on its way out, so I'm now using it as an MP3 player. However, testing it against my old iPhone 5 the Xperia's sound quality isn't so good, and music jumps when the phone is turned around and the screen moves with that. Also, having a headphone socket at the top of the phone makes little sense, as it results in wires going over the phone. So I think the older iPhone definitely has the edge over the older Xperia in terms of quality and design. I'm not so sure I'd want to shell out for a new iPhone in future, but I'd be happy with a 128GB iPod. :) Especially as I just don't need a mobile phone - I almost never use the phone function.

I'm using (and still paying for) a Samsung Galaxy Note 9.
I picked the phone for it's handwritten note-taking ability because I was tired with trying to find paper and pen whenever I unexpectedly needed to jot something down. It has other qualities I appreciate, including a big screen, HD camera, fast processor and long battery life. The Note also has a lot of additional features I may never use.
It has a high price, but a two-year, interest-free payment schedule put it within reach.

I just got the Note 9 a week ago and love it. I upgraded from a S6 Edge. Huge difference. The pen feature is unique and a bonus feature!

and long battery life
That's the major issue nowadays isn't it?
We spend so much time online that phone batteries can't keep up, it doesn't help that most new smartphones have a non-removable battery.

My last phone was a Samsung J5 and I had it about three years, after the first year the charge wasn't lasting as long. I saw a broken (smashed screen) identical phone on local Facebook for a tenner. I soon learned it still functioned for charging and it's battery was fine.

Sorted!
I was going out with a fully charged phone and a fully charged replacement battery in my pocket every day, until the phone got too old and creaky

My previous phone, a Samsung Galaxy 6 was sealed so that you could not trade batteries. I think that's the way most? all? phones are going now. You know, planned obsolescence to keep the money rolling in.

Recently purchased a Pixel 2. As you might expect, the camera functions are great! and the rest seems at least adequate (I'm not a "on my phone" for everything kinda person.) so probably not the best person to ask. It's very good for pod casts and the like.

My previous phone, a Samsung Galaxy 6 was sealed so that you could not trade batteries. I think that's the way most? all? phones are going now. You know, planned obsolescence to keep the money rolling in.

At least they have standardised the power adaptor connections. I used to have a whole drawer solely with various formats of adaptors for different phones.

Now I usually charge it off my PC. (Which makes it very easy to transfer files back and forward too!)

At least they have standardised the power adaptor connections. I used to have a whole drawer solely with various formats of adaptors for different phones.

Now I usually charge it off my PC. (Which makes it very easy to transfer files back and forward too!)

Sigh! not true. The newest Pixel and Galaxy phone have USB-C and I was made to understand that all of the newest phones are going that way, while for the last couple iterations of the Galaxy etc they use Micro USB. And of course Apple has always gone the we're too good to play nice with the other guys route. One reason I doubt I'll ever own an Apple anything.

Sigh! not true. The newest Pixel and Galaxy phone have USB-C and I was made to understand that all of the newest phones are going that way, while for the last couple iterations of the Galaxy etc they use Micro USB. And of course Apple has always gone the we're too good to play nice with the other guys route. One reason I doubt I'll ever own an Apple anything.

Mmm, my S-8 has the USB-C and it's two+ years old. But I guess that's pretty new.

My Note 9 cable attaches to the charger via standard USB at one end and the USB-C at the other end. It can be detached from the charger and attached to a computer for transfers and charging -- much slower charging, but still convenient.

You know, I'm still using my Note 4 that I got on the cheap after the Note 5 was released. Six years on (and one battery replacement) and it still works as good as it did when I got it. There's a bit of burn-in where the on-screen keyboard shows, but it's only noticeable against very bright backgrounds. Best phone I've ever owned and won't give it up unless it just plain dies.

For those phones with sealed in batteries, most can still be replaced if you simply take them some place like Batteries+. It's not as cheap as just slipping the case off and changing it out yourself, but it's still way better than ponying up for a new phone.

@Parson: It's funny that you mentioned Apple's proprietary charging port. They're only able to do that due to a loophole in the law. It's required that phones use micro usb/usb-c. Apple gets around this by not selling you a phone. Officially, the I-phone is a music player that can make phone calls where all the others are phones that can play music. It certainly is a good reason to not buy one.

I like my Motorola G6 play. Add in a 128 gb card and off you go.
The battery seems to last forever [4-5 days, maybe longer but I'm not a heavy user], the screen is nice and sharp. It still has a lot of Google Crap that I don't want but no more than any there phone I guess.

A friend is ready to go for the Huawei P30 - mainly for the camera (which is said to be stunning for a phone camera and merely 'just' very good otherwise)