The Variorum Lovecraft

Thank you for the notice on that one, Wilum. I hadn't heard of it at all, and now I've placed an order. Yet another one I owe you.....

Your review is excellent, and I really admire the way ye have presented the images of the set. I am reading the first voilume slowly, and enjoying Lovecraft more than ever before. Every time I pick up one of these volumes I feel a queer combination of electric ecstasy and peace of mind. The real Lovecraft at last, despite some of S. T.'s editorial decisions so to give ye set a consistency of style, format, &c. I've been an obsess'd H. P. Lovecraft fanatic for a long time--and this is ye best time to be a Lovecraft reader. Also just got the LETTERS TO ROBERT BLOCH AND OTHERS, also from Hippocampus; & to-day's poft brought a fabulous volume from The H. P. Lovecraft Historical Society: THE SPIRIT OF REVISION: LOVECRAFT'S LETTERS TO ZEALIA BROWN REED BISHOP, which is superbly edited and imaginatively presented with numerous illustrations, photos, facsimile of Lovecraft's letters, &c &c.

Part 2 is now up as well, and thanks :)

Yes, I finally feel good about having such a substantial work. Like many, I have a number of old versions including a few Arkham House editions, and lots of old paperbacks from the 60's and 70's. But I like to have books that I know one day, once I am past the beekeeping years, are worth hanging onto for reading for criticism as well as pleasure.

I am interested in knowing too, if you care to share, what you thought were decisions STJ made that you wouldn't have made. I did notice some variations in capitalization of titles that perhaps were included because that's how HPL wrote them.

Part 2 is now up as well, and thanks :)

Yes, I finally feel good about having such a substantial work. Like many, I have a number of old versions including a few Arkham House editions, and lots of old paperbacks from the 60's and 70's. But I like to have books that I know one day, once I am past the beekeeping years, are worth hanging onto for reading for criticism as well as pleasure.

I am interested in knowing too, if you care to share, what you thought were decisions STJ made that you wouldn't have made. I did notice some variations in capitalization of titles that perhaps were included because that's how HPL wrote them.

For the sake of consistency, S. T. had to decide to make certain changes found in HPL's manuscripts, use of commas and semi-colons, capital letters, &c. S. T. feels that in some later mss., when submitting stories to Weird Tales, Lovecraft (knowing that WT would use their house style) made such changes himself. In some of HPL's typed manuscripts he types "show" instead of "shew", whereas it was his habit, in handwritten mss. and personal correspondence, to always use "shew". So, when some of Lovecraft's late typed manuscripts have him typing "show," S. T. has changed all such spellings to "shew" in the final published editions.

For the sake of consistency, S. T. had to decide to make certain changes found in HPL's manuscripts, use of commas and semi-colons, capital letters, &c. S. T. feels that in some later mss., when submitting stories to Weird Tales, Lovecraft (knowing that WT would use their house style) made such changes himself. In some of HPL's typed manuscripts he types "show" instead of "shew", whereas it was his habit, in handwritten mss. and personal correspondence, to always use "shew". So, when some of Lovecraft's late typed manuscripts have him typing "show," S. T. has changed all such spellings to "shew" in the final published editions.

Yes, that's standard procedure for most editions, even though I personally prefer to follow the writer's choice in each case... which is why I am so fond of the editions of Spenser and Blake I have: they retain the inconsistencies in spelling and orthography which, to me, adds to the experience, better capturing the feel of the work. The facsimile edition I have of the 1702 publication of Mather's Magnalia Christi Americana is something I prize in part for the same reason; that, and the fact that I get the original typography (at least as reproduced from a microfilm of the original) as well as the full text, something which is not all that easy to come by.

Still, Joshi's editorial decision here is an understandable one; it is just one which I disagree with to some degree.

And I received a note from Derrick that my copies will be in the mail early next week, so I am definitely looking forward to receiving them. And on the letters volume mentioned above, I've also received notice that it has been shipped, and so it should reach me before the end of this week. Once again, thank you for the head's-up on that one, Wilum....

I saw the Variorum Lovecraft at NecronomiCon -- what a lovely set! I am looking forward to getting my own copy, but it depends on when my kind bundler will have a full box to ship.

Sean Branney of HPLHS gave me a copy of The Spirit of Revision (Lovecraft's letters to Bishop) at the con, as thanks for my help with the book. Good heavens, I didn't help much! It is a lovely book with lots of illustrations.

So, when some of Lovecraft's late typed manuscripts have him typing "show," S. T. has changed all such spellings to "shew" in the final published editions.

Was this noted in the text notes? I saw something of this penchant mentioned in the Introduction of the first book.

Taking this even further along the recent path... I received my copy of The Spirit of Revision today; it is indeed a lovely book, and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in Lovecraft, writing, or the America of that era (roughly 1927-1937). It is also lavishly illustrated and beautifully designed....

All of which reminds me... I really need to get a thread going on HPL's letters. Anyone interested in partaking in such?

Taking this even further along the recent path... I received my copy of The Spirit of Revision today; it is indeed a lovely book, and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in Lovecraft, writing, or the America of that era (roughly 1927-1937). It is also lavishly illustrated and beautifully designed....

All of which reminds me... I really need to get a thread going on HPL's letters. Anyone interested in partaking in such?

I'm in!
Speaking of HPL's letters to Bishop -- I had dinner with a bunch of Lovecraftians on the last day of NecronomiCon, and S. T. Joshi joked that we may have to find Bishop's story "One-Man Girl" now. I haven't read the letters myself yet, but from his remark I assume that HPL may have revised this story. So in the future we may talk about One-Man Girl and Other Revisions! ;)

I'm in!
Speaking of HPL's letters to Bishop -- I had dinner with a bunch of Lovecraftians on the last day of NecronomiCon, and S. T. Joshi joked that we may have to find Bishop's story "One-Man Girl" now. I haven't read the letters myself yet, but from his remark I assume that HPL may have revised this story. So in the future we may talk about One-Man Girl and Other Revisions! ;)

Oh, dear; what Grandpa would have to say about that!!!! However, given that I would love to read Doorways to Poetry and the book he did for Renshaw... I'm not sure I'd object too strenuously on this one, either.....

Oh, dear; what Grandpa would have to say about that!!!! However, given that I would love to read Doorways to Poetry and the book he did for Renshaw... I'm not sure I'd object too strenuously on this one, either.....

There may be more Bishop stories bearing Grandpa's hand... "One-Man Girl" was at least published, so that should be easy to locate; but the others may be more difficult.

I'm feeling the irresistible urge to whine; hopefully this will help me get it out of my system.
My kindly bundler sent me a box of books -- including The Variorum Lovecraft -- on January 16. On the 25th, the mailman brought the box to my door (oh joy!), but because I was at work it was taken back to the post terminal to be re-sorted so it could be delivered to the gas station where I usually pick up packages that couldn't be delivered at home.
It has been circulating through the sorting system at the terminal since then.
I have called customer service and complained, but they got me mixed up with someone else, told me that the box was found, and closed the investigation.
I called them again, telling them that no, the box is still in the sorting system. "Oops", they said.
On February 1, the box stopped moving around in the sorting system (I can see this by logging into their website and see when and where it has been scanned).
Still no news. It is slowly driving me insane with annoyance that a $300 package is spending more time than is strictly necessary in the less-than-competent hands of the people at the post terminal. And it is bloody frustrating to know that if my recent illness had extended one more day, I would have been at home to receive the box when the mailman brought it.

I'm feeling the irresistible urge to whine; hopefully this will help me get it out of my system.
My kindly bundler sent me a box of books -- including The Variorum Lovecraft -- on January 16. On the 25th, the mailman brought the box to my door (oh joy!), but because I was at work it was taken back to the post terminal to be re-sorted so it could be delivered to the gas station where I usually pick up packages that couldn't be delivered at home.
It has been circulating through the sorting system at the terminal since then.
I have called customer service and complained, but they got me mixed up with someone else, told me that the box was found, and closed the investigation.
I called them again, telling them that no, the box is still in the sorting system. "Oops", they said.
On February 1, the box stopped moving around in the sorting system (I can see this by logging into their website and see when and where it has been scanned).
Still no news. It is slowly driving me insane with annoyance that a $300 package is spending more time than is strictly necessary in the less-than-competent hands of the people at the post terminal. And it is bloody frustrating to know that if my recent illness had extended one more day, I would have been at home to receive the box when the mailman brought it.
This wou'd send me 'round ye bend! I've been feeling antsy just waiting for ye last three volumes of LOVECRAFT ILLUSTRATED--but I know they're on their way. I hope ye situation soon corrects itself. S. T. shew'd me the print-out (I think that's what it was) of volume four of ye Variorum, with Grandpa's revisions and collaborations; but it was in a very rough state. with many of ye varients at ye bottom of ye page written out in longhand. It is going to be a HUGE volume!!

Oh joy! Two weeks after the mailman knocked on my door, finding me at work and thus taking the box back to the post terminal for re-sorting, and twelve days after I braved the rain only to find the box wasn't at the gas station, IT FINALLY TURNED UP! The best packaged box ever -- not only did it contain the Variorum, it also held The Unique Legacy of Weird Tales and three Shadowrun novels. My hat's off to Gavin Smith, who is a genius at packing boxes!

I have finish'd a complete reading, and am dipping into some things for further investigation. They are quite wonderful, and it's thrilling to have ye excis'd portions of some tales available for perusing. It makes me curious about future editions of Lovecraft using these texts. Publishers will have to get S. T.'s permission. I believe the forthcoming editions of ye LOVECRAFT ILLUSTRATED series from PS Publishing will be using these newly-edited texts. If ever S. T. edits a Portable H. P. Lovecraft for Penguin or a Norton Critical edition of the prose, these will undoubtedly be the texts used. Is there a standard published edition of Lovecraft's tales that are found in stores to-day? I almost never go to bookstores now, and have no idea if the Penguin Classics editions are widely available or what. The one edition that may be in stores these days is The New Annotated H. P. Lovecraft, which I assume will have a trade pb edition eventually.

Classic and collectible . You have best of both worlds here.

Both Amazon and Barnes & Noble are listing a pb release of the three Variorum books as forthcoming in August.

Derrick has just posted, in a Facebook thread on ye Variorum set, that there will be a Kindle edition forthcoming, featuring auto-updates in case any new textual variants emerge. Such new discoveries have been made by Martin Andersson and will be featured in these new softcover volumes.