Short story - a Deep South ghost story

Toby Frost

Supporter
This is a short story, perhaps from about 1910. It sounds as if it's by Lovecraft, but it isn't. He may have mentioned enjoying it, though.

Two men are on a walking tour in Louisiana. They sleep in an abandoned mansion. During the night, one of the men hears a noise and goes upstairs to look. He staggers back down the stairs with an axe embedded in his skull, and dies. The other man flees.

Then the story gets blurry for me. I think the survivor goes to a town and calls up help. He visits a mysterious old person (perhaps a voodoo priest?) and returns to the house. He explores the upstairs in what I remember as a good scene, and finally defeats the spirit haunting it. There is a slightly unfortunate racial element to the ending - something to do with someone being unexpectedly black (somehow).

Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Not HPL, but REH: "Pigeons from Hell". One of his better known horror tales; it was also adapted for Boris Karloff's "Thriller" in one of that series best-regarded episodes. It can be found in various REH collections, including one bearing the same title. from Zebra Books in the late 1970s.

Incidentally, REH claimed in one of his letters that the story is based on a genuine bit of Southwestern folklore about such pigeons. I'll see if I can track down the passage and send it along; it may enhance your enjoyment of the story once you find the book(s)....

You're welcome. I think you'll find the story holds up rather well; chock full of atmosphere and the pacing overall is quite good. Some distinctly politically incorrect things there, of course, given the period... but still a good tale....

Not been able to look up that passage in REH's letters yet, but when I do, I'll pm you with the relevant bit....