Self Publishing Roll of Honour

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have published 7 novels so far on Amazon and on Smashwords w/ Barnes & Noble. My science fiction series, "Seeds of a Fallen Empire" contains 6 books and is complete. The six books of the series are The Last Immortal, The Osiris Invasion, Across the Stars, Star Gods, The Comet Riders, and The Empire. My one YA fantasy novel is Curse of the Dragon Kings. Here's where to find me on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Anne-Spackman/e/B00J39D59M/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1443917327&sr=8-1

I have been feeling discouraged that I don't have many book reviews so far. I have been wondering about how I might arrange a book review exchange but have no idea who to approach for this. Any advice would be welcome....

Personally, I'm a bit wary of review exchanges. It's awkward if you think someone's written a 2* book and they give yours a glowing 5*.

There are review blogs/sites to which you can submit (someone posted a very good link here a while ago, which led to a long list). Worth knowing lots won't reply and some will decline, but it's still worth doing.

Yes, review exchanges are generally frowned on. I do have a couple of writers who've reviewed mine who I have then gone and read theirs and reviewed, but only if I have genuinely enjoyed and finished the book. I don't think that's the same as a review exchange, though - it might be a purchase exchange, if that makes sense....? (And if I feel my purchase was a good one, then I'll review to that effect. I rarely leave poor reviews, though, mostly because I'm aware start up authors won't have many reviews and my one-star, which might be to do with my taste, might have a bigger impact than leaving that honest review on a more widely known book.)

I think, for me, most of my early reviews came from people who knew me in the community - here, on facebook, through Twitter. Now, I'm getting to the heady heights of not knowing some reviewers on any level. (Joe Abercrombie reckons if you're not getting one or two star reviews, you're not being read widely enough). So, get into a few communities, get to know people and if they pick up the book and know the writing business, they might be more likely to give a review.

Also, I now have (or will have soon) a snazzy link at the back of my sp book which links to the Amazon review board.

I think it's amazing what all of you have done to put your work out into the world. Saying that, how does one begin to self publish works with Amazon/Kindle?

I think it's amazing what all of you have done to put your work out into the world. Saying that, how does one begin to self publish works with Amazon/Kindle?

Write a book. Get it beta read until it's great. (Consider an editor - some do, some don't.) get it copy edited. Acquire artwork. Format. Open a kindle account. Load everything up. Promote. And that's pretty much it. :) (of course, each step is hellishly time consuming and the whole thing pretty exhausting!)

Write a book. Get it beta read until it's great. (Consider an editor - some do, some don't.) get it copy edited. Acquire artwork. Format. Open a kindle account. Load everything up. Promote. And that's pretty much it. :) (of course, each step is hellishly time consuming and the whole thing pretty exhausting!)
Thank you so much for the point of direction!

I concur, I'm three years into it and am not done yet. It seems never ending at times.

I've thus far published one full-length high fantasy novel, The Earthfault, the first of a series.

Link to Kindle edition:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019UGXTRK/?tag=brite-21

Link to physical edition:
"The Earthfault" by J. Anthony Harris

Also, two very short stories.

The Tapestry is a ...weird fusion of modern action and high fantasy. Not sure how else to describe it, genre-wise:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JOI7J2/?tag=brite-21

The Eyes is a short, sharp thriller/horror. I've been told that it would serve very well as the prologue to a detective story, but that's one of my least favourite genres, so that ain't gonna happen. Unless you want to help:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006V29KIE/?tag=brite-21

I joined Chrons a long time ago with the wish to improve my grammar and write a book. Now, in 2016, my YA, time travelling rip-roaring adventure is ready for publication;

Tarquin Jenkins And The Book Of Dreams

ALL TARQUIN JENKINS WANTED TO DO
was travel through space and time, solve some of the Universe’s more pressing problems, and lay hands on the Nerydire Book of Dreams
UNFORTUNATELY
nobody told him about the bloodsucking Leche, the leprechauns, the other leprechauns, the killer androids, the extremely rude waitress, Nostradamus, Leonardo da Vinci, the malfunctioning toaster, the Zargothian legal system, the Bloated Shagganat nightclub, the psychopathic Griddleback hordes, and a flame-haired, one-eyed space pirate called Georgia Blade
AFTER HE’D GOT HIS HEAD ROUND ALL THAT
Tarquin’s life became a little complicated.....

Excerpt From: Peter Ford. “Tarquin Jenkins and the Book of Dreams.” iBooks.

Ahead of publication in April, and as a big, big thank you to Chrons members who have helped me in the early stages of writing, I would like to offer anyone who is interested, a free ebook version of my book. I have epub, mobi, and epdf available now. If you are interested, just message me and I will send you a copy in your preferred format.

Tarquin S Jenkins

This offer will close on 1 may 2016

The bloated One

Last edited:
I released my debut novel 'In Vitro Lottery' a few months ago, and so far the reaction has been pretty positive, even from people who aren't my mum (a re-edit helped as well after a slightly shaky initial release as I had no idea what I was doing then).

Here's the blurb!
"Decades after a deadly plague has ravaged the world, the children of the survivors can only reproduce via complex fertility treatment. Some can afford it, but for everyone else there is the In Vitro Lottery.
Kate never really wanted a family, so when her numbers come up she gives her winning ticket to her sister. But when tragedy strikes, Kate is forced out of her own small existence and sent on a collision course with the clinic CEO Victor Pearson, the pressure group IVFree and the Government in her quest
for answers. When the fate of humanity is at stake, who really controls the future, and what will they do to protect it?"

..and a couple of editorials from the Amazon.com page
"This book will appeal to anyone who enjoys a dystopian style adventure. It has plenty of action, thrills and plot twists to keep a fan of most genres on their toes. The characters are interesting and believable, and the story is well written and paced. Towards the end, the action intensifies, with several disturbing plot twists meaning I was very reluctant to put the book down." ".. It can hold its own against any traditionally published novel in its genre."
"4 Stars (out of 5): - Underground Book Reviews

"There is an air of contemplation and, perhaps, warning throughout the novel that lends to its unique plot. And Ed Ryder's description of this alternate reality is fantastic; its intrigue and mystery keeps it interesting throughout. ."
"4 Stars (out of 5): - authorstalkaboutit.com

Amazon UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AG6XJC8/?tag=brite-21
Amazon US Amazon.com: In Vitro Lottery eBook: Ed Ryder: Kindle Store

It's also only 99p / 99c this weekend and on KU too.

I published 'Demonyka' on KDP - and thanks to everyone who commented on the saga of the cover.

Amazon UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N94VXBC/?tag=brite-21
Amazon US https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N94VXBC/?tag=id2100-20

“Everyone has their demons, but I buy mine wholesale…”

Paul Moore, shopkeeper, Master of the Dark Arts and demonic broker, has just met the hottest witch who ever tried to kill him. A date is surely out of the question - she serves the demons of the Babylonian Triad, and no-one defies them... almost no one.

Paul thought he was the best, until the Babylonian Triad launched a turf war. Rival demons, competing traders, an explosive spice and ruthless church factions... Paul only wants to keep his home town safe and get the girl. He knows that being a Master of the Dark Arts involves sacrifice, but really doesn't want to be the one dragged to the altar.

Demonyka is a fight through life, death, demons and trying to survive a first date. It's not the end of the world, just the start of a new corner of hell.

Hi Biskit,

Looked at your cover - not sure about it. Personally given your blurb I'd be thinking that a picture of a smoking hot, homicidal witch might be more apprpriate. But one thing I would suggest is the tag line is boring. If you're going to have one you want it to zing. I'd suggest something like: First dates can be hell!

Also with your blurb, go for a little more punch. So at the end of your first para I'd get rid of the "..." and go for "- well, almost no one!" Makes it a little lighter and more chatty.

At the end of the next one there's a word missing I think. It should probably be "... but he really doesn't ..." And then at the end another "!" Don't pull back fromusing punctuation for effect. That's what it's there for.

As for the last line, it sounds a little confused. "A fight THROUGH life"? That doesn't sound right to me.

Otherwise congrats. Hope it does well.

Cheers, Greg.

I published 'Demonyka' on KDP - and thanks to everyone who commented on the saga of the cover.

IMO a cheap generic cover would do you far, far more favours than what you have at present.

However, I love your opening - there's real strength in your prose, and a sense of a punchier but darker Harry Dresden in there. I've added it to my wish-list and will likely buy it with my Kindle vouchers at Christmas. :)

Liberator has been available for a couple of months now. You should read it. No, really you should, a scientific study recently found that people who have read Liberator are more attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back