DISCUSSION -- April 2014 75+5 Word Writing Challenge

Congratulations to both winners, always the fairest way to end a tie-break. Both greatly deserved winners.

Congrats both! A perfect result in my opinion -- I voted for TDZ, but it would have been too cruel for CC to have lost after his impressive early lead.

Unless either of you have a Highlander mentality, that is a brilliant result!

Congratulations to both! :D

What a nail biter!!

Hearty congratulations to both Cat's Cradle and TDZ. :)

And thanks for the mentions / short listings from Victoria, Starbeast, Telford, TDZ, Chris, Juliana, Tywin, Stormcrow, Farntfar and Ursa.

Yay - you both win.

I'm a bit worried about next months theme now. Committee decisions can end up with very odd results. What do cats and zebra's have in common, oh dear, there's a picture that will stay with me for the rest of the day.

Thank you Bowler, thank you so much, everyone!! And TDZ was gracious enough to allow me to pick the theme/genre...I think Ursa will have the new contest post up sometime soon!

To Bowler--time for joyous celebration! I think I give little away for the next Challenge if I mention that you will be able to use ray guns if you so choose, in the genre I have picked!!
And to everyone else...apologies!! Bowler will be able to use ray guns in the genre I have picked!!! RUN!!! :) CC

Well done to TDZ and Cat's Cradle.

As I said Dusty, feel free to post a story under my name this month....i just want a taste of fame...even if I have to wear a bridesmaids dress

Congrats to both The Dusty Zebra and Cats Cradle. Belatedly (real life has stopped me posting, although I did manage to vote), here's my shortlist, and even deciding on this meant loosing some stories I'd have been proud of had I written them:

Farntfar: Paradise lost

Karn: For love of the hunt

Cats cradle: The coal miners

Glen: Black box recording from flagship Industrial Enterprise

Holland: The neighbour

Ajb: Clockwork

Hare: If Tolkein had been a fan of mechanisation

Kshrox: The mechanic

A.fare wells: The coal steel deal

Hopewrites: For whom the Bell tolls

...even if I have to wear a bridesmaids dress
We'd need a photograph (such as the ones John Scalzi provides here and here).

EDIT: I ought to point out that the caption on one of the later pictures (the sixth image, the one that mentions "jewel tones") in the first link contains an obscenity. If you don't want to see the word, don't scroll down that link.

Last edited:
Wait, I think I've seen pictures of ratsy, and he'd look better than that in a dress. Although possibly not that dress. And, after all, the bridesmaid dress in question is pink taffeta, which would be simply smashing on ratsy! :D

Nice of you to say so, Parson -- I thought it might be a bit risque for your taste. :D
Well, Parsons are not priests you know. I seem to remember a story I wrote for the challenge where MC was rudely interrupted and was willing to do anything to get it back on.

Of course, as the best things do (for me, anyway), it turned to innuendo rather quickly. I wonder if I should be writing romance with Mouse? :D
That idea produces both shudders and chuckles, not to mention a book contract or two. :D

Congratulations to Cat's Cradle and TheDustyZebra, and thanks to anyone who reviewed or shortlisted my story.

Wait, I think I've seen pictures of ratsy, and he'd look better than that in a dress. Although possibly not that dress. And, after all, the bridesmaid dress in question is pink taffeta, which would be simply smashing on ratsy! :D

I take all of that as a compliment. Although my vampire white Canadian skin would blind everyone. :D I do have a nice pink golf shirt I bust out on occasion.

I'm not sure we want anyone busting out of a dress, thank you very much. :rolleyes::eek::eek::)

Well done to both winners, both fully deserving of first place.

And just realised I got a vote at the last minute - thanks Ursa!:)

Just catching up...well done to the tie break, tie breakers. Both great stories which would have been on my short list if I'd found time to finish it. April's been a blur...

Thanks everyone! I was as surprised as anyone!!! :) (But very grateful, and pleased, truth be told!! :))

Back