April 2014 75 **PLUS 5** WORD WRITING CHALLENGE -- Cat's Cradle and TDZ share the win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: April 2014 SEVENTY-FIVE **PLUS FIVE** WORD WRITING CHALLENGE -- READ FIRST POST!!

From whom the Bell tolls or Dust on a String

Miasma thickens the air I breath, this engine-driven world has chocked out so many I used to know...

A child passes me into Geppetto's Toy Emporium, I hold up my tatty cardboard sign "Will Dust for Belief."

She doesn't see.

The proprietor runs his grandfather's shop with entrepreneurial finesse. Still... he believes, gave me leave to panhandle here.

At closing he brings out a warming cup of Jo and invites me home.

Re: April 2014 SEVENTY-FIVE **PLUS FIVE** WORD WRITING CHALLENGE -- READ FIRST POST!!

Dragon flight

It had taken decades of debate, but Nogard was finally leading the first flight to attack these cursedly inventive humans and their infernal steam engines. The council had finally been forced to capitulate. Smoke was clouding the skies and harming the young. Now the dragons would bomb them into oblivion. Norgard’s rock smashed a train engine. Nyreen’s hit the factory engine hard. The humans scattered, diving into the sanitary ditches where they belonged. Poetic justice befitted a short victorious war.

Last edited:

Beaufort’s Majestic Mechanical Menagerie

They were, undoubtedly, the toast of the Great Exhibition - William Beaufort’s fantastical mechanical animals. People thronged the Crystal Palace to glimpse the great geared elephant, trunk billowing steam, the sinuous clockwork tiger, pacing in his cage, and the chattering monkeys that periodically escaped, scampering in the ironwork high above.

For months Beaufort drew acclaim, applause, and well wishes. Then the Exhibition closed and, to his great dismay, Beaufort discovered there was no practical use for a steam-powered pachyderm.

Fries With That?

Red faced from the steam generated range and his rising anger, the Head Chef pushed open the kitchen doors. “Which imbecile requested fries with my perfectly crafted cuisine?”

An uncouth person in their midst? The diners, en masse, put down their cutlery to look for them.

With no hint of fear, an elderly man rose to his feet. “You're such a busy man. I wanted time with you.”

Chastened, the chef asked, “Would you like fries with that, Dad?”

Regency Revival

"I say! Look at that!"

The steam-driven coach rattled and wheezed its way towards the castle. Horses shied, women swooned and strong men held back their manly tears.

A figure sat in the coach, a hand wafting back and forth mechanically. A fixed smile and glazed eyes were to be expected, considering the queen had been dead for fifty years. But sealed inside, she'd not deteriorated.

Encountering death, she'd taken the commoner's advice at the very last.

"Get stuffed!"

From The Morning Post

The court heard that Police Constable Matthew Williams was sent to investigate reports of illicit dragon breeding at the Boulton and Watt factory in Handsworth. When he did not return, more officers attended. Sergeant Albert Dawlish said helmet fittings were discovered in dragon dung, but no other trace of the constable was found.

Following yesterday's proceedings, Mr James Watt again denied his guilt, but insisted, 'all industries encounter difficulties, and steam power is no exception'. His trial for manslaughter continues.

[FONT=&quot]A Stark Encounter or Two[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Ned, meet the future. Your future. Much more efficient than a headsman’s axe.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
But the guillotine-engine was over-cranked. Wheels span, cogs splintered, the driveshaft shattered. In the confusion Ned escaped, head still attached.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Dwarf automata, steam-driven dragons, clockwork wights, Ned fought his mechanical enemies through thirty books. At length, the seat of power was his.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
He sat.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Unfortunately, he hadn’t noticed someone’s impish smile, the voltaic cell behind the throne, and galvanic copper cable meeting the ironwork...[/FONT]

...but if you try sometimes, you just might find...

“Will you serve God and sovereign, obeying always?” asked the king.

His armor shone. Second Law. “Yes, Your Majesty.”

“Will you defend the kingdom, land and people?”

Wheels turned in his head. Third Law. “Yes, Sire.”

The princess stepped up and whispered her question. “Will you give knightly succor to a lady, with all your heart?”

His eyes glowed, and steam poured out of his ears. “I am a machine, Your Highness.”

She turned to her father. “I'll take him!”

The Flying Elvishes

By Tatiana’s bottom! Wet nurse that Dragon, Ensign, get those boilers to full steam and my ship out of this rift!” Captain Peaseblossom steamed, then faced the mortal king.
A dragon sneeze in the wrong direction materialized the Buttercup, in the midst of his fertility rituals.

How to tell a royal they couldn’t bring him back for fifty years?

“More of the Midsummers’ Eve wine, King Rocanrol?”

“Thank you, thank you very much, little lady. And call me Elvis.”

The Indian Timepiece

He strut his stuff in the shop window, his metallic body displaying the iridescent hues of sapphires and emeralds.

He caught her eye as she passed by. He stopped and turned, fanning out his hands, vibrating, emitting a low hum, revealing his plumage. She stood, watching, memorised, her breath held in check.

The barbed geared cogs turned, entwined as one and the clock struck 12.

Instantly, she knew this robotic clock must grace her hall.

Hue and Cry

“The laws of nature here are identical to ours,” I said. “I’ll collapse the protective bubble.”

“And that dragon? We’re here to meet people, not become meat.”

“But this place is just up your street: brass, steam, clanking—”

“Look at the paintwork, man! Everything’s red, blue....” He grimaced. “Or vivid yellow. Give me that Earth with pastel colours any day.”

“You can’t go back. Their police are waiting.”

“I don’t care. Take me back to the fuchsia.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back