Literary Forbears of Arthur Machen

RLS continues, deservingly, to get attention:

Masterpiece: Robert Louis Stevenson's 'Treasure Island' - WSJ.com

The focus in this article is on Treasure Island, upon which Machen didn't, so far as I remember, comment anywhere; but I wonder if he wouldn't have perceived in it that quality of "ecstasy" that he expounds in Hieroglyphics. Treasure Island is a great adventure story, but it has more going for it than a sequence of suspenseful episodes like the siege of the fort. For example, it has uncanny Blind Pew tapping along.
d8eb15ef12e822126e125e4b08acbc3c.jpg

Activating this thread again... there has been published a new biography of Sir Thos. Browne. Here's a brief review from The Independent:

The Adventures of Sir Thomas Browne in the 21st Century by Hugh Aldersey-Williams, book review: Genial, thorough look at a beautiful mind

Consider this list of words: medical, carnal, electricity, amphibious, biped, migrant, follicle, polarity, botanist, hallucination. I could go on, at length. Sir Thomas Browne of Norwich (1605-1682) – doctor, writer, scientist, philosopher – coined 784 words and fixed the modern usage of more than 1,600 more. In keeping with his outlook, Browne’s lexical novelties tend to be handy, precise and irreplaceable, rooted in observation but not without an aura of mystery.

The author of Religio Medici and Urne-Buriall, who quietly practised his healing art in Norwich for 45 years, thought and wrote while England shook with civil strife. Browne has never lacked literary admirers for what Hugh Aldersey-Williams calls “his civility, his tolerance, his good humour, his wit, and his sheer style”. Beyond the illustrious fans he cites – from Virginia Woolf to WG Sebald – I recall an interview at his book-stacked home in Milan with the legendary Italian polymath, Roberto Calasso. It turned out that Calasso had written his PhD thesis on Browne.

Rather than echo the many tributes that hail Browne’s hyper-imaginative fusion of “baroque prose” with “scientific investigation”, Aldersey-Williams has written the sort of book the good doctor might himself applaud. Not a conventional biography, this genial, generous but tough-minded excursion through its subject’s life and afterlife explores 10 topics that inspired or troubled Browne. From “physic” (medicine) to tolerance, faith to melancholy, Aldersey-Williams salutes but also interrogates an ever-fertile mind.

Aldersey-Williams backs Browne’s quest for an open-minded middle way between blind faith and reductive materialism; the secularity of Richard Dawkins gets short shrift. But he knows that his sceptical, humane hero could stumble. He puts critical stress on the Bury St Edmunds witch trial which, in 1662, summoned Dr Browne as an expert witness. “Equivocal to a fault”, he failed to state outright that two accused old women had not practised witchcraft. Both were hanged.

Aldersey-Williams has fewer doubts about the doctor’s achievements. From archaeological fieldwork to the psychological aspects of illness, the serene physician strode far ahead of his time. In his hero’s footsteps, the disciple takes us on his own scientific journeys, from a quest for five-fold patterns in nature to a hunt for Norfolk funerary urns. Aldersey-Williams relishes Browne’s plentiful contradictions: “He is curious, he is fallible, he is doomy, he is hopeful”. Above all, the book celebrates his bracing embrace of “uncertainty”; his taste for the anomalous rather than the incontrovertible. Both of those adjectives we also owe to Browne.

RLS continues, deservingly, to get attention:

Masterpiece: Robert Louis Stevenson's 'Treasure Island' - WSJ.com

The focus in this article is on Treasure Island, upon which Machen didn't, so far as I remember, comment anywhere; but I wonder if he wouldn't have perceived in it that quality of "ecstasy" that he expounds in Hieroglyphics. Treasure Island is a great adventure story, but it has more going for it than a sequence of suspenseful episodes like the siege of the fort. For example, it has uncanny Blind Pew tapping along.
d8eb15ef12e822126e125e4b08acbc3c.jpg

The Three Impostors?

For some reason this book pops into my head when I think Treasure Island. Treasure Islands Billy Bones pursued by Blind Pew and his Henchmen is mirrored a bit by the man in spectacles who drops the coin in The Three Impostors.

Last edited:
My friend Nick Kalfas has drawn my attention to Edmund Gosse's book on Coventry Patmore, which may be read at archive.org. I mean to get to this little book quite soon and to say something about it here.

Full text of "Coventry Patmore"

I say a bit about Patmore in messages 1, 7, 8, 10, 19, 20, and 22 above.

I'm activating this thread for discussion of any aspect thereof, but with Sir Thomas Browne particularly in mind. I hope to start posting occasionally on his writing before long. A stimulus to that plan has been the reading of William Vaughan's Samuel Palmer: Shadows on the Wall -- which seems to me an excellent book, the one you should make sure your public library and university library own on the artist (b. 1805).

I'm activating this thread for discussion of any aspect thereof, but with Sir Thomas Browne particularly in mind. I hope to start posting occasionally on his writing before long. A stimulus to that plan has been the reading of William Vaughan's Samuel Palmer: Shadows on the Wall -- which seems to me an excellent book, the one you should make sure your public library and university library own on the artist (b. 1805).

A marvelous and unsettling picture. :unsure:

Good find. The RCP is worth a visit in its own right. Beautiful 1960s building with a great standing exhibition of old medical kit and a marvellous old library (if it is open) plus it is a short walk from Baker Street or Oxford Circus.
If you like that sort of thing, head over to Lincoln's Inn Fields for the extraordinary Sir John Soanes museum, and the Hunterian Museum in the Royal College of Surgeons.

Here's a link to a thread about the Perlesvaus, a key Arthurian-Graal text, which Machen esteemed in Sebastian Evans's 1898 translation.

A pleasant short film about some of Browne's writings:

I think Nicholson is probably a bit off when he talks about the theme of death -- he makes Browne sound too modern. Browne is interested in the perishability of human reputation, memory, etc.

Here's W. G. Sebald on Sir Thomas Browne. (I'm becoming quite a fan of Browne.)

Thomas Browne | Vertigo
And this...
Phantom Libraries - Part 3: The Sealed Museum of Sir Thomas Browne - The Dabbler

Tomorrow, 19 Oct. 2021, one may observe Sir Thomas Browne Day. The 19th of October is Browne's birthday; you may prefer to observe it as the day he died; in either case you will be correct.

I suspect that the Dr. Johnson who meant most to Arthur Machen was the LONDON tavern/coffee house conversationalist memorialized by Boswell, rather than Johnson's essays, biographies, prefaces, poems, and definitions. Probably Machen fancied that, when he first came up to London in the late 1800s, something of Johnson's world of hobnobbing journalists and theatre people survived -- including physical remains in the form of old buildings. Machen writes evocatively of two outdoors worlds: the Gwent of his boyhood, and London. A third locale was France (Touraine, etc.), but on this topic I haven't read much more than passing references in Machen.

You might get hold of an indexed edition of Boswell's Life and look up topics that interest you, to get started.

Penguin Classics used to have a useful abridgement of the Life. That's what I've read -- never yet read the entire work, though I have a copy.

Man of Sorrows

Machen's identification with Johnson the conversationalist went even to the point of performing as the Great Cham.
Machen_Dr_Johnson_M.jpg
lit_files__5a_001.jpg
"Dr. Johnson who meant most to Arthur Machen was the London tavern/coffee house conversationalist memorialized by Bosell rather than Johnson's essays," etc.

I got that right, I find:

----Pope and Johnson between them had stifled the live body of the English tongue in periwigs and court suits and all manner of artificial and cumbrous trappings. The English of literature had become a different speech from the English of ordinary life; the gulf between the two is apparent if one turns from the Johnson of the “Rambler” to the Johnson who speaks so vigorously and simply in “Boswell.”-----

What caught my attention about this post was the mention of the great and wonderful STC. What was his influence on Machen? Were his poetic years influential, his later years as critic and philosopher, or the man himself in general terms?

Apropos of style, I wouldn't be surprised if Machen knew and agreed with this passage in Coleridge's Table Table (1835): "The Pilgrim's Progress is composed in the lowest style of English, without slang or false grammar. If you were to polish it, you would at once destroy the reality of the vision. For works of imagination should be written in very plain language; the more purely imaginative they are the more necessary it is to be plain.”

I'd be surprised and disappointed if Machen hadn't read the Table Talk. I have a faint impression that Machen says something about The Pilgrim's Progress somewhere -- something favorable -- but I don't know where, if so.

As for the plain style -- it would be interesting to know what Machen would say. He knew what it was to write in an elaborate, even (as they say) purple style, but later in his career we see him writing stories from the pose of a journalist, etc. -- I'm thinking especially of "The Great Return." Maybe Machen would say that you might need a flexible style within the bounds of one story, a style that was adapted the needs of the place in the sequence that you've reached.

I don't remember offhand how it's put, but late, or even at the end of, The Pilgrim's Progress, the Dreamer sees that one could fail to attain the goal even when at the threshold of the celestial city. In "The Great Return" and "N," there's this idea of failing at last to see the full disclosure of the marvellous thing of which others have a more full experience.