Choosing the Right Project?

The Storyteller

So I have a dilemma that has really been weighing on my mind lately, and I thought I could try turning to some wiser people for advice. My problem is whether or not I should put aside a really big project I've been working on for something simpler...

The summer before my grade ten year, I started a novel (originally for an extra school credit I didn't need). I knew I should start with a simple one-book idea for my first novel and started considering my options. Then I picked a random impulse of an idea that was completely unformed and ended up going with that. (Typical me!)

As with happens with pretty much everything I write, the idea expanded and evolved and grew into this giant monstrosity! (Still my baby though.) At any rate, I have been working on it for some 5-6 years now, and it has grown to a Tadd Williams "Memory, Sorry, and Thorn" or a LOTR type story, with a lot of history, possibly a complete fictional language, and a lot of different characters and plots building up at the same time.

It occurs to me this is probably a stupid way to start into writing. I'm still pretty young and have about zero experience; I don't know what I'm doing yet, and I would hate to actually get it published and then look back on it years later and realize I wasted a decade writing something that really wasn't all that great, and if I had had more experience I could have written it better. Or worse, that despite all my efforts it's just a cheap imitation of other works and not really anything unique or special.

But because I have been labelled as someone who starts things and never finishes them, the idea of setting it aside to work on something else kinda freaks me out. I feel as though I am quitting or giving up. And what if I end up deciding not to finish the next project as well for some other reason? I'll end up with dozens of projects I worked on for years and then set aside, with nothing actually ever getting finished. I'm also worried if I leave aside this other story too long, I might forget a lot of my ideas/concepts for it.

So what is best to do? Is it better to just stick with what you start and see it through to the end, or even after all this time would it be better to switch tracks to something a little simpler to get my feet wet? I'll be honest, if I changed books now I would feel like a failure, and I'd be terrified to tell friends and family. But at the same time, I could really be cutting my own throat by clinging onto this story if by setting it aside I could write it so much better later on.

Anyway, I would love any advice anyone has to offer. Better to set it aside and come back to it? Or should I just stick with it and even if it takes two decades just trust that any experience I need will come out in the doing?

Thanks!

Hard to say, but I'd be inclined to put it on the backburner. You should write because you want to write, not because you're worried about stopping. If you can write a good single volume story then it'll be bother quicker to finish and provide you with good experience should you decide to return to the mega-series.

You don't have to plough on or abandon the large project. Either shelving it, or writing on it but focusing primarily on something else can work perfectly well.

There's more to be learned from writing a few different stories than just one, no matter how tempting it is to stick with that one story and go wild with it. When trying to decide how to improve a book of mine, I was told to set it aside for a while and work on something new. That way, I could go back to it later with a fresh perspective, and be better equipped to tell what needed improved about it.
Of course, then comes the question: what do you write about in the meantime? Why not try some short stories? They'll let you work with new themes and genres, without pulling you into another novel-length slog. :)

Here goes – but please don't consider me an expert, this is just one opinion.

Finish something. Do one of next month's writing challenges, write a couple of short stories. Get some experience with the other disciplines of writing, the editing, the polishing, which take as much time as the writing and prepreparation put together. And do it well, not just as an exercise for your magnus opus. Maybe even get some experience in submitting, understanding what people are asking for when they request changes.

But don't ever inform your main work that you're deserting it. Find time every week for a few hundred words, a short section outline, a scribbled note on a linguistic formula… as long as you're not so bored with each other you need a holiday apart don't let progress grind to a halt. Even if your style is developing in directions you hadn't anticipated when you started, keep it going forward, don't go back and try to bring the beginning up to your now; that's not where you'll be when you arrive. And knowing you'll be rewriting everything when you reach the end is no excuse to wait for that to happen before getting ahead. It won't be the book you see now, any more than it will be the book you originally imagined, but if you maintain the pressure it will be something entire, not just an 'Oh, I remember I had an idea'.

Of course, then comes the question: what do you write about in the meantime? Why not try some short stories? They'll let you work with new themes and genres, without pulling you into another novel-length slog. :)

I do have a pretty simple 'one-book' idea I have been thinking about that I thought might be a logical one to start with. It would be a bit of younger read, and I have a pretty concrete idea of what would happen, who the characters would be, and what the story setting is. I was thinking that if I did put the other idea on the back burner this might be a good place to start? I have written a few chapters in it and I really like the tone I've set for it.

I started with a trilogy. In retrospect, I wasn't ready for it but, on the other hand, I learned lots.

I then wrote a standalone (well, three now) and I learned more again which I took into the trilogy. Without what I learned from them .i don't think I'd be able to finish the trilogy.

If you're finding the big work too much, there's no shame in doing something else. I'm only getting to the point of finishing the trilogy now, five years on.

I have a trilogy in note and fragment form that has been accumulating chunks for over twenty years.

It will take me a lot of time to finish it. Time I don't have, inspiration lacking for the little bits and quite frankly, my craft may not be up to the level that my imagination demands for this - yet.

So it sits there, along with over a dozen more. Never abandoned (those are deleted immediately), just waiting.

Put your monster down, let it slumber while you acquire experience and craft. The fact that you have even considered this for such excellent reasons shows that you know what you should do.

Finishing something is good. Never stopping is more important. As for the reputation for not finishing things... Whose life is it? Could they even construct a useful paragraph?

Opinions are like rectums: everyone has one. The only one of relevance is yours. You've asked yourself a valid question and you knew the answer because the question arose. We're just helping you build confidence in your judgement. It's good. Go with it.

Last edited:
It occurs to me this is probably a stupid way to start into writing. I'm still pretty young and have about zero experience; I don't know what I'm doing yet, and I would hate to actually get it published and then look back on it years later and realize I wasted a decade writing something that really wasn't all that great, and if I had had more experience I could have written it better.

Well, if it's stupid there are many excellent and successful writers who have been stupid too. Having you been learning as you go along? Or are there immature conceptions that you had at the beginning and you won't make changes to your plot and characters as necessary? If, on the other hand, you've been putting what you know to work as you go along, then you are not being stupid at all. Plenty of people write story after story and bring the same problems along with them each time, because they don't learn anything.

And you say you've been working on the story for 5-6 years? That hardly makes you inexperienced. By now you have more experience than many of the writers here. (Whether you've put that experience to good use remains to be seen, until and unless we get a chance to look at your writing when you've been here long enough to be allowed to post a sample of it in critiques.)

Perhaps, after all, it won't take you a decade to get it into shape -- sometimes we slog along and slog along and then have an epiphany or two that allows us to take a big leap forward in terms of our skill and understanding -- but if it does, by the time that decade is over you will be neither young nor inexperienced.

If you feel passionate about this story, keep writing it. Why stop and give something else less than your all because part of your brain and all of your heart is always engaged with this longer story. On the other hand, if you feel burned out and/or need a boost to your confidence, then, yes, it may be time to put it aside for a while, work on something shorter, and prove to yourself that you can finish something.

I'm going to go out on a limb here--no no wait I don't even like to climb trees these days.

Seriously though I hear you say you have Ideas concepts something that's grow to epic proportions. What I don't hear is whether there are any character's involved.

Of course that's just me- I love the characters and the ideas and concepts are just the window dressing. I didn't always think that and I had all these ideas and concepts in my head and I put some of it down on about 400 pages of double-spaced text using a standard smith corona and scads of white-out. Sadly I didn't have the strong character yet so, after that much work I set it aside. (This means I had some if not all of the ideas on paper to look at later.)

It sounds like you don't have the ideas well documented because you are worried. Oddly the worry might be for nothing because twenty years later I had all that stuff still rattling in my head trying to get out. I really should have spent more time just developing my writing, but I was busy with life.

Finally I sat down and developed a character - a voice that would drive all of this and as soon as I did that I had over 1400 pages of double space 8.5 by 11 pages of material to work with and that was just the beginning.

I honestly think that if I'd sat and worked on developing characters in anything at all, I would have fallen upon that bit of impetus earlier than I did.

In the mean time all my ideas that I thought were so unique were being used already and I'm not sure how much it would have mattered if I did forget some of it. If I could have forgotten it. That could have been a real downer, but what is unique is the character and characters that go into the story.

So my question is do you have solid characters for the story. If so you might want to toy with writing something relating to them while you're deciding what else to write. It could be back-story to explain how they arrive at the beginning of your epic.

It won't hurt though to write other less epic stuff to work on things like plot and story and threads and character development just to make sure that when you do the epic it will be your best work.

It wouldn't hurt to write snippets for the epic work just to see what you will be up against and perhaps gauge where you need to develop your skills.

If you can find a balance right now I'm sure that the moment that you are ready it will grab your full attention and you'll find yourself so engrossed in it there won't be a question about what you should be working on.

Finally I sat down and developed a character - a voice that would drive all of this and as soon as I did that I had over 1400 pages of double space 8.5 by 11 pages of material to work with and that was just the beginning.

That sounds like one of those epiphanies I was talking about.

Wow, thanks you guys! This is some great advice J

I agree chrispenycate, if I did switch focus to another project now I would want to keep working on the other at the same time (I think some other people suggested that as well). Especially since I still have so much brainstorming work that there is always work to do with pen and paper when I am away from home or just have a few minutes, and my actual 'computer' writing time could go towards a different project (if that is what I decide).

To Teresa, perhaps "stupid" wasn't the right word choice! I always thought I would write a bunch of novels and have one (or start with one and see if more came later) 'uber-grand, uber-deluxe series' that was my shining jewel of accomplishments, and I always meant to save that until later in my career so that I could further develop the craft of writing first. That is not to say I mean to give half-effort on my other projects! Merely that other ideas might not require knowing the history and culture of countless races and having dozens of detailed maps, a full scale language and so forth, which would make them a better place to start. Of course there will be lots of work involved in these too, but it might be easier if I’m working with a smaller scale plot/world. (Also, I should note that despite what I said about experience, I have learnt so much from working on this series! I have improved greatly as a writer, and I am pleased to say my story has made great progress despite the fact it still has lots more to make.) And, in truth, I get easily overwhelmed/depressed with my writing, so I have been finding that quite a handicap. That is one of the reasons I was considering a switch in focus.

To Tinkerdan, yes, I do have at least some characters I really love! The main character has been slowly developing into more of a voice, though at first the mc was a really bland character, and she is still far from what she will become! As for writing 'snippets', I've actually written several drafts of the book, though admittedly only two made it to 'the end' and both of those had big chunks missing in the middle. Though, most of these drafts you wouldn’t even recognize as the same story as the idea has changed so much! And though I do love working on it, I do also want to know that I will do the best job on it I possible can and as I am easily overwhelmed I thought maybe something simpler could help me build confidence and experience.

Regardless, I'm not scrapping this idea! I may set it aside for a while or multitask, but this is my baby (my monster baby!) and I wouldn't throw it in the trash any more than I would a real baby. But I don't want to force it through to an ending because I feel this dying need to finish, and then realize I didn't give it enough time to become all that it can be, or myself enough time to develop as a writer.

I think Rafellin is probably right, and I already know what I should do, just need some confirmation from wise writing sages to help me do it (that's you guys!) So this is my final thoughts (I think, I have trouble making decisions so nothing is really final!); I think I will go for some form of multi-tasking. I do have a story idea that is going to be a kids novel (but hopefully the type adults also enjoy, such as several Lloyd Alexander books) and I have a very clear idea what is going to happen with it. But I'll keep building the world for the other novel as I do. If it turns out I feel more like working on my 'epic' series, I can always shift focus back to that, but if I continue to struggle with it I can younger read and maybe even finish it. (What a shocking concept!)

Thanks again for all the feedback! Still not a hundred percent sure about this, but I feel better for having some advice.

Oh, and Teresa, I look forward to posting some of my work for critiquing when I am able!
J

To Teresa, perhaps "stupid" wasn't the right word choice!

Don't worry, I know how you meant it.

My point was that writers arrive where they want to go by different routes, and no way is smarter than the other if it works. Some reach their goal by sticking with a book or series they've been working on for decades, others by writing one book after another. Right now, you can do either or both. You don't have contracts or other obligations to write one thing or the other, then follow your bliss ... that may be new ideas that come to you and take hold of your imagination, or it may be the old project. But don't do either because you think that you "ought to." Continuing to write, learn, and improve is the only "ought to."

My point was that writers arrive where they want to go by different routes, and no way is smarter than the other if it works. Some reach their goal by sticking with a book or series they've been working on for decades, others by writing one book after another. Right now, you can do either or both. You don't have contracts or other obligations to write one thing or the other, then follow your bliss ... that may be new ideas that come to you and take hold of your imagination, or it may be the old project. But don't do either because you think that you "ought to." Continuing to write, learn, and improve is the only "ought to."

Very true! And truth be told, for me the writing is more important than the publishing; not that I don't want to get published of course! But it's like the saying, "it's not about the destination, it's about the journey." Writing is a journey, and where I end up is not half as important as what I learn and how I grow on the writing journey that takes me there. :)

Thanks again, I really do appreciate the advice and feedback!

Good points have been made here, and I’d just say that I agree especially with TinkerDan’s point about the need for characters. More generally, I suspect that epic fantasy is often so – er - epic, that nations and races start to take the place of characters in some writers’ minds (not necessarily yours, though). At the end of the day, you do need to be able to zoom in on individuals, and no matter the style in which the book is told (first person, limited 3rd person and so on) it will be through individuals that the story happens. I think this is what’s wrong with some older fantasy: after taking ages with “worldbuilding”, authors then populated the world with “knight”, “elf”, “wise old wizard” and other stock figures. I think it’s a risk when writing steampunk as well as Tolkien-style fantasy: the sense of the elements being shuffled, but nothing new actually being added.

But I'm not sure what you ought to do. Personally, I'd try something smaller, perhaps a piece that could be added to the longer story if it works. Then, if it's going alright, branch out from there.

I agree about the importance of strong characters! To me, characters are the most important aspect of any story. If I love the characters, I can overlook a lot of other flaws and still enjoy the story. But if a novel's world is really well developed but the characters are not, I don't enjoy it nearly as much.

I try to make my aim the characters, but who knows how well I'm pulling it off! In this series actually, one of the biggest themes is personal struggle; there is a war of Light and Darkness, which can take the form of huge battles etc., but it is first and foremost in the heart of all mortals. So taking a really close look at the characters is very important, for both heroes and villains as the point is made there are no evil people and no good people, just people who either act on the Light in them or act on the Shadow.

As for stock figures, I am trying to really watch out for that! It is very easy to slip into familiar figures that fit well, but I am trying to make sure the characters are as original as they can be. Some really awesome characters have introduced themselves, and I could go on for hours introducing you to them all! (But I will refrain.) :)

Hello, TS! Welcome. :)

Just to come on last, though I think you've already made up your mind...

You sound like me. I very much understand your concerns, but I've chosen to stick with my original plan. I started a series of novels years ago (came up with the idea way back in... was it 2002?), and it sort of... expanded into an epic over these last few years, with multiple POVS (which had never been intended - they were supposed to be supporting characters!!!) and a big, epic storyline.

It was the first thing I wrote, so naturally book one sucked, although it was salvageable (I'm in the process of salvaging it now, as well as making it bigger and better and more epic; I'm so glad I didn't write the rest of the series back then, cos I'd have to chuck all those too and start again). Sometimes I call myself the biggest idiot in the world for choosing an epic as my starting book/series, and I really am not good enough to handle what I'm aiming for - and yet I wouldn't have it any other way. It's been a great learning curve. I do have a few short stories in the pocket as well, which is great for writing in a new style and genre and learning to write more concisely, but ultimately it's my series I always look forward to returning to, if I can get other problems quietened so I can write (which is my trouble these days).

BUT... unless you're absolutely bonkers, starting with a smaller project is the way to go. Much easier to learn the ropes. Because, yes, epics are daunting (I should know :eek:), and often you feel like you've got a mass of rope ends that refuse to be knotted together no matter how well you've planned, and then all your years inventing languages, races, a world, and a storyline get wasted because you're taking so long to write the darn thing, you've pretty much forgotten everything you did.

However, if the series is what's singing in your heart, go for it. As you know, it will be a long, long, long haul, but it may well be worth it if you can put up with feeling overwhelmed - and you're up for a fight.

Go where your muse flows. I've fluttered between 20 different book projects but have finished only one in the past 6 years. I don't fight my inspiration, and it allows me to stretch out and learn new things as I go. If your interest is going elsewhere, let it sit aside and freshen yourself on something new. It will be waiting for you and all the new things you've learned. (Plus these breaks are invaluable in finding old flaws you couldn't see before).

I think there is something to be said about doing something else that makes your old work better. I do know I would never have grown as much as a writer without taking on new projects and the things they taught me. Eg description. I'm not great at it, but when I wrote my second book instead of describing things only in my head I was describing places I knew. Somehow, that was easier and so my descriptive writing improved, which I was able to bring back to the wip.

But I also think Chrispy is right. Part of writing is the getting to the end, is the rewriting and the honing and the doing it again until you can't read the blinking passage for six weeks you hate it so much.

I find shorts quite carthatic when I'm really stuck. I can see the product, I can have a go at selling it (or get a few votes) and it gives me a nice break.

I find 'following my muse' difficult as it changes so often. I really like starting things but I'm not great at finishing things, which is why I've been trying to focus my efforts on one project. Not to say I don't take short breaks when I have huge inspiration elsewhere, but my main focus has always been this series. But because it has become so colossal, even if I continue working this way it will still be years (going by my current progress rate and not including the fact I've had a lot more time these past five years than I will for the next many means it would likely be a decade or more) before I can actually finish something. As Springs and Chrispy have said, I think it would be really valuable to actually finish something; to go through the entire process from start to finish. I would learn a lot about the craft by doing this, so picking a shorter project that allows me to do this seems like a good idea.

At any rate, a lot of good points have been raised! And it does depend on the individual as well. I still don't know exactly what I'm doing; for now I'm focusing on one of my shorter projects to see how that will work for me, and if it seems to be working well I'll aim on finishing that as my first focus with my series getting worked on as the secondary focus. But we will see! I may go a week this way and decide to just keep focusing on my monster baby instead.

Thanks again for feedback, it is so nice to have! Of course, with each new comment I change my mind about what to do (I am very impressionable!), but it is good to think about it from different angles. :) And Leisha, that sounds pretty much exactly like what happened to me! You have to be careful with your ideas; you leave them alone for one moment and they evolve into massive monstrosities you never intended! ;)