Clark Ashton Smith in Penguin Classics

w h pugmire esq

I linger within ye shadows of Sesqua Valley, dream
The publication date is ye 25th -- and although I have the book on pre-order at Amazon, I could not wait. I drove like a madman to S. T. Joshi's pad last night and stopped long enough to fetch a copy of ye book & have him sign it. I then rush'd home like a lunatic thing and devour'd ye book's fine Introduction, & then I got on YouTube and recorded ye first of two videos concerning the book.

I have been in a fever about this book even before its publication was a sure thing. The Penguin Classics editions of H. P. Lovecraft are so good (despite some misprints, most of which have nigh been corrected) and have brought E'ch-Pi-El's weird fiction to so many new readers, that I felt certain that a Penguin edition of CAS wou'd help this fantastic author find a new world-wide audience.

One of the things that the point really illustrates, and that is emphasized by its editor, is how different a writer Smith was compared to HPL. Even so, the Lovecraft link is beyond dispute. Lovecraft's encouragement helped to determine Smith to begin writing for WEIRD TALES and other pulp journals. Another factor was Smith's need to earn money so as to support his ailing parents. It is a curious fact that Smith stopped writing fiction shortly after Lovecraft's death, which occurred in the same year as the death of Smith's father.

The Lovecraft connection is emphasized again with the book's opening story, "The Tale of Satampra Zeiros," a Mythos story in which the forgotten god Tsathoggua is mentioned -- and the story even includes that tedious Mythos motif, the menacing tentacle! But whereas Lovecraft, following his brief Dunsanian phase, set most of his fictions in his modern world, the stories of Smith take place in fantastic realms and on distant planets, with some few set in ye modern era and among modern humanity. Lovecraft's use of black magic was, in most cases, mild and not a real center of importance to his plots (although such alchemy plays a central part in such stories as "The Dunwich Horror" and The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. In Smith's tales, the use of magick is audacious and spectacular.

Smith seems to have regarded his fiction as something he did merely for money; whereas the writing of poetry was a part of his soulful identity as an artist. He seems to have been so indifferent about his fiction in his latter years that when several volumes of his tales were published by August Derleth's Arkham House, Smith couldn't be bothered to go over and correct the texts of the changes foisted upon him by pulp editors.

I love Smith's fiction so much, as I do his poetry and magnificent prose-poems. Hopefully we will one day see an authoritative biography written. Eventually (perhaps this year), Hippocampus Press will publish the combined correspondence of Clark Ashton Smith and H. P. Lovecraft in one gigantic volume. I am hopeful that this new edition of his work from Penguin Classics will give him a new and wide world audience, and that the book will sell so well that Penguin will consider a second volume. The book's cover is a beautiful painting by Smith himself, whose artwork is in the folk art tradition and has, at times, an audacious use of vibrant colours. All in all, I am excited to see this edition of Smith from Penguin Classics, and hope that it will be widely reviewed and begin some real discussions in the Literary communities concerning this important American poet and fantasist.

I have not read his poetry and i have read too little of this writer with the great prose style so Penguin classic version is much cheaper option than some of his second hand collections.

There are many stories, poems in it and will be finally a good sample, taste of CAS.

Fried Egg--yes, THE DARK EIDOLON AND OTHER FANTASIES. I think, Connavar, that it will make a wonderful introduction to Smith for those who have not read him, and I suspect that second-hand copies will eventually shew up on Amazon for very low prices--although there will also be those strange dealers who will probably try to sell it for $100+.

"The Dark Eidolon" was the first story I ever read by Smith, a terrifying tale of revenge, tragedy and horror. I presume that one is in the collection (given the title of the book) but if anyone knows the contents I would be greatly interested to know...?

"The Dark Eidolon" was the first story I ever read by Smith, a terrifying tale of revenge, tragedy and horror. I presume that one is in the collection (given the title of the book) but if anyone knows the contents I would be greatly interested to know...?

Not having a copy of the book, I can't tell you what the poems are, but here's a listing of the prose pieces:

Eldritch Dark Forum :: CAS in Penguin Modern CLassics

Thanks J.D., looks like they've got some really great stories in there. Should be a good introduction to him for those who haven't read anything by him already.

Thanks J.D., looks like they've got some really great stories in there. Should be a good introduction to him for those who haven't read anything by him already.

Im somewhat ashamed to be one of those readers since i have read 2-3 CAS stories that i cant rememer other than loving the prose style in Emperor of Dreams collection. Since he was so out of print and expensive when he was a new name for me this collection is a must buy and read now for me.

I hope his poetry lives up to the reputation he has for it. I have seen few SFF greats who are also very good at poetry.

PROSE POEM
The image of Bronze and the Image of Iron
The Memnons of the Night
The Demon, the Angel, and Beauty
The Corpse and the Skeleton
A Dream of Lethe
From the Crypts of Memory
Ennui
The Litany of the Seven Kisses
In Cocaigne
The Flower-Devil
The Shadows
The Passing of Aphrodite
To the Daemon
The Abomination of Desolation
The Mirror in the Hall of Ebony
The Touch-Stone
The Muse of Hyperborea

S. T. is about to arrive so that we can sign the signature sheets for BLACK WINGS III, so I doubt I'll have time to list all the poems right now. I'll make a start and continue later to-night if he shews.

POETRY
The Last Night
Ode to the Abyss
A Dream of Beauty
The Star-Treader
Retrospect and Forecast
Nero
To the Daemon Sublimity
Averted Malefice
The Eldritch Dark
Shadow of Nightmare
Satan Unrepentant
The Ghoul
Desires of Vastness
The Medusa of Despair
The Refuse of Beauty
The Harlot of the World
Memnon at Midnight
Love Malevolent
The Crucifixion of Eros
The Tears of Lilith
Requiescat in Pace
The Motes
The Hashish-Eater; or, The Apocalypse of Evil
A Psalm to the Best Beloved
The Witch with Eyes of Amber
We Shall Meet
On Re-reading Baudelaire
To George Sterling: A Valediction
Anterior Life
Hymn to Beauty
The Remorse of the Dead
Exorcism
Nyctalops
Outllanders
Song of the Necromancer
To Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Madrigal of Memory
The Old Water-Wheel
The Hill of Dionysus
If Winter Remain
Amithaine
Cycles

So The Hashish-Eater made the cut, did it? Which version is included here -- that from Ebony & Crystal, or the later Selected Poems version? (I will admit that, in many ways, I prefer the former, though the latter is nonetheless a damn fine poem.) Pity that some of his few dialogues weren't included; something like "The Ghoul and the Seraph" would be a very fitting example of what he could do in this form....

Conn: I don't think you'll be disappointed. He followed older traditional models, but oh, my, what he could do with the language; not to mention his imagery! I would rate him very highly myself, not only as a poet from the sff field, but as a major poet, period....

Thanks for posting that, Wilum. I don't entirely agree with the choices, but it is nonetheless a fine representative selection....

S. T. had no intention of including "Hashish-Eater," but the editors at Penguin suddenly insisted it be in the book. The Notes for the poem at the back of the book are extremely lengthy, two long paragraphs. At the very beginning of the Notes on Poetry we find: "All poems in this book were collected in CPT, the difinitive edition of CAS's poetry and translations" -- so it will be the version from the Hippocampus Press edition.

S. T. came over last night with Jason V Brock and the 300 signature sheets for the deluxe edition of BLACK WINGS III, & we then did some new videos about recent projects. In the first video, S. T. read, from the book, Smith's poem in memory of H. P. Lovecraft, and he became so emotional that he began to weep! It was an incredible experience. But! Just as we were finishing that first video, we lost our Internet connection, and the video was lost, we couldn't retrieve it. I am so sick about this I had trouble sleeping. We are going to try again on the day we drive to Portland for the Lovecraft Film Festival.

]Conn: I don't think you'll be disappointed. He followed older traditional models, but oh, my, what he could do with the language; not to mention his imagery! I would rate him very highly myself, not only as a poet from the sff field, but as a major poet, period....

Thanks for posting that, Wilum. I don't entirely agree with the choices, but it is nonetheless a fine representative selection....

That sounds promising because i have read so many great poets last year or two who both followed the older traditions, more free modern poetry. Im pretty traditional poetry reader who admire poets who can make the old models work anew. I cant wait since i ordered the book through my bookstore today and they told me it will take two weeks to get it.

I will explore two writer sides of CAS. The classic SFF author and the rated poet. Funny coincidence that i ordered Poe complete tales, poetry from American Library at the same time as CAS penguin book because i want to read their poems first and foremost.

Wilum: in that case, it will be the revised version. Certainly this is technically the better of the two, but I think some very valuable things have also been lost. Perhaps that's just my opinion, but....

Conn: Poe was a tremendous influence on CAS, as were Baudelaire, Milton, Blake, etc. As I say, I don't think you'll be disappointed....

S. T. doesn't want to wait until April 11th to re-record the video on the Penguin CAS, so he will be coming over this Saturday or Sunday and we will try again. I think, with him reading the poem to Lovecraft from the book, it will become a very popular video, have an active life outside of YouTube (being posted in personal blogs and other sites) and really help to promote the book. Again, if you have the book and have time, please write a review at Amazon. The more positive attention the book receives, the better chances there will be of Penguin deciding to let S. T. edit a second volume.