Elder Scrolls Online review

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
If you're expecting something like Oblivion or Skyrim, prepare to be severely disappointed.

Elder Scrolls Online is an MMO. It's the type of game people go to in order to develop a character by, oh, making their own clothes, fashioning armour, making recipes, and enchanting items. With their friends, so as not to be lonely about it.

So if you primarily enjoyed Skyrim for the crafting skills, you might yet get something out of it. But at the price of £50 for the game and a £15/month subscription, you're probably better off just updating your Skyrim edition to make sure you have the latest mods.

Elder Scrolls Online is a big world with hardly anything in it. Very few dungeons, and even fewer you are allowed into. Quests which are utterly petty and irrelevant.

And you can't pick up equipment from anyone you kill. Because they respawn after a few seconds - so that other players in the game can kill them. And if you could pick up equipment, you could simply keep picking up the same armour, weapons, and selling them, and get rich very fast.

Which defeats the purpose of an MMO, which is to be a time sink, forcing you to keep up your monthly subscription - and be unable to achieve much anything even after a few hours of play.

The graphics are probably nice - heck, the world looks great in the promotional videos. But unless you have around 8GB of RAM + graphics chip, you'll probably need to play on a low graphics resolution that will make the game more basic-looking than Oblivion.

Because it's designed to be a time sink, you start off with little - expected to be level 5 or higher before you can even find any armour anywhere.

Levelling is also an issue. Remember how in Oblivion everything levelled up with you, but that they found more of a balance with Skyrim? Well, with Elder Scrolls Online, you simply cannot use equipment above your level.

So be prepared to invest a couple of hours completing a quest, only to find yourself awarded an item you are not allowed to use because it's just above your level.

Expect also to be severely weak from the start. Sure, you might kill a couple of Flame Atronach's in the tutorial intro. But then expect to be killed by any random monster after - and this world is full of them. Even the mud crabs can whoop your sorry beginner ass, even spiders and wolves.

The wonder is what Bethseda were thinking. Maybe someone persuaded them that a MMO was effectively Skyrim with multiplayer.

It is not.

Remember in Oblivion and Skyrim, how you crouched and snuck about, bow at hand, sword ready, flare selected in your magic inventory, reading for any attack? Remember the thrill and tension of discovery as you crept out from some forsaken underworld into the world of Tamriel and it's dungeons?

All gone. Not present.

Expect instead to wander around clueless, with the world's most unhelpful Quest system. And see dozens of other player characters stood around NPC's with their map's out, also wondering what the hell to do.

I played a beta this weekend, so there were bugs. Lots of them.

And I expect the launch version - due in just over two weeks - is never going to be able to address them all.

But it's the gameplay that really lets Elder Scrolls Online down. Or, the lack of it. The lack of atmosphere, the lack of immersion, the lack of interaction.

It may call itself the Elder Scrolls Online, but the only similarity to any other Elder Scrolls games is superficial - names and images. The rest - the part that made millions of people play and enjoy them - is gone.

Expect this game to be free2play within the year due to poor take up, so if you really want to try it, you may be advised to wait until then, instead of spending a lot of money to find yourself disappointed.

How many betas have you played?
Whats the highest level you got up to and how many hours have you player overall?

Doesn't really matter - Elder Scrolls Online is nothing like Skyrim or Oblivion.

I haven't played any MMO's, so I can't compare it to any of those, only the previous Bethseda games.

Doesn't really matter - Elder Scrolls Online is nothing like Skyrim or Oblivion.

I haven't played any MMO's, so I can't compare it to any of those, only the previous Bethseda games.

It isnt a surprise to me, nor should it be a surprise to anyone else, that ESO is not the same as Skyrim or Oblivion. ESO is an MMO and all the reviews have said that if you're expecting Skyrim then you'll be disappointed.

I'm not trying to be rude here but your lack of experience with playing MMOs means that you are not exactly the best person to review this game.
And why havent you answered my questions? I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that you've only played this for a few hours, tops. And that is the biggest and most repeated mistake that people have made whilst reviewing this game. You cant judge MMOs on just a few hours of gameplay like you can do with other games... MMOs are different. You have to play at least 15 hours and advance through many levels to get a real feel of the game.

I'm not saying ESO is going to be great but your review really doesnt hold any weight with me at all.

The main purpose of the review is really just to ensure there's a clear distinction made between what Bethseda have done before, and what we see in the Elder Scrolls Online.

I'm sure anyone who plays MMO's regularly will be able to make an informed decision on this - but, if like me, someone was expecting Elder Scrolls Online followed Skyrim in terms of gameplay and set up, they need warning before spending their money. Because I think that's exactly what a lot of people will be expecting - and something Bethseda will be banking on by launching this project.

Hence why the above review doesn't really review the game as a MMO - it simply compares Elder Scrolls Online to the existing Bethseda range.

I've not seen much press on the game, but I felt it important to make the distinction clear for those who were not sure.

Anyone who is unhappy with the review is welcome to a refund. ;)

The thing is, ESO isnt by Bethesda, Zenimax have made it.

I love Elder Scrolls games (except Oblivion, which sucked big time) and originally looked forward to ESO, until I saw some of the screens and videos, thenheard it was subscription based.
I paid to play Eve Online for around the first 18 months of a 7 year long gaming history before realising how easy it was to make enough money to pay for it with in game money. Never again will I pay monthly for any game. So, all in all I wont be playing ESO.

The next online game I will play is Star Citizen, pay once and sandbox, looks awesome.

Me too! Well, not replying, playing for the first time. I've done Skyrim a lot now, so I thought I'd try something new.

I was blown away by the trailer for this, but I appreciate this review as I'd probably approach it wanting similar to the games I'd played and would probably end up disappointed. Whereas it sounds like MMO players will enjoy. So I think I'll stick with the games.

What is so bad about Oblivion? I am currently replaying and am enjoying it quite a bit.

I loved Morrowind, then when I got Oblivion I think my hopes were too high, it was mostly the graphics that let it down for me, from the gritty cartoonish style of Morrowind, Oblivion looked bad to me, as though they tried too hard to make the people realistic but failed just enough for everything to look wrong.

Ilove Skyrim though, everythign about it makes it the perfect fantasy game to me. Looking forward to ES VI, off to Hammerfell isn't it?