HBO confirm 7 seasons for TV show, GRRM certain he can get Book 6 out first

Werthead

Lemming of Discord
HBO have confirmed that they envisage a 7-season plan for the series.

The showrunners had previously held out for 8, but it now looks like they have accepted 7 and are now actively planning for that. They have consulted with GRRM and created a detailed outline for the rest of the story.

According to GRRM, he should get The Winds of Winter out ahead of the TV show catching up, but admitted that the final book would be 'tight' to get out even on the previous 8-season plan. That means it's more likely than not that HBO will overtake and finish the story first.

Looks like I'll be turning off the TV and avoiding the water cooler when that happens... and the internet.

I had a thought that this might happen. As long as its his ending and they do it on tv before he can do it in books I don't care. The only thing that would tick me off is if they create an ending that isn't in line with what he wants just so they can end the show.

I will immediately start a campaign to get Game of Thrones on HBO cancelled.

what I would prefer to see would be HBO leaving off at seven seasons, but leaving a "Cliff Hanger" ending, showing only up to tWoW, after the book comes out. Then when the final novel appears, they can make 1 or 2 HBO movies out of it.

Srylanna, +5 cool points. (And it's better than hacking your head off with a big knife).

This isn't a particular surprise, though. The TV show couldn't go on an unspecified hiatus, and it's doing very well (thankfully). At the same time, I'd rather Martin took his time and nailed the finale instead of rushing it.

I will immediately start a campaign to get Game of Thrones on HBO cancelled.

what I would prefer to see would be HBO leaving off at seven seasons, but leaving a "Cliff Hanger" ending, showing only up to tWoW, after the book comes out. Then when the final novel appears, they can make 1 or 2 HBO movies out of it.

As unrealistic and implausible as that is, I'll gladly join you. Just say when and where. xD

Srylanna, +5 cool points. (And it's better than hacking your head off with a big knife).

This isn't a particular surprise, though. The TV show couldn't go on an unspecified hiatus, and it's doing very well (thankfully). At the same time, I'd rather Martin took his time and nailed the finale instead of rushing it.

I was wondering if someone would get the reference. xD

Really disgusted by this. I can understand adapting The Winds of Winter because it will come out around the same time as the HBO season but actually depicting the end before its in print? WTF!

Studio Exec: "Uhhh..I'm sorry Tolkien, I know you were working on a new book called Lord of the Ringo star but do you mind if we take your literature and turn it into a multi-billion dollar franchise and in the process steal all of your potential readers before your books are out?"

Has anything like this this ever happened before? :rolleyes:

And I can't escape the show practically everyone I know watches it, how the hell am I going to escape my whole life?

If its them following the outline that he gave them in case something happened to him where he couldn't finish it then I don't have a problem with them catching him. I will still read the book when it does come out.

I don't want them to come up with a version that isn't in line with what he wants to do. Right now there are only 3 people on Earth that actually know how the thing is supposed to end: Martin and the 2 main producers of the show.

Martin had to know when this started that it was a very real possibility that he wouldn't get the books done in time to keep from being caught.

If its them following the outline that he gave them in case something happened to him where he couldn't finish it then I don't have a problem with them catching him. I will still read the book when it does come out.

I don't want them to come up with a version that isn't in line with what he wants to do. Right now there are only 3 people on Earth that actually know how the thing is supposed to end: Martin and the 2 main producers of the show.

Martin had to know when this started that it was a very real possibility that he wouldn't get the books done in time to keep from being caught.

The main problem I have with this is that the ending isn't carved in stone yet. Remember when GRRM said there would be a 5 year jump in the book then, while writing it, scrapped that idea and rewrote? He might have a firm idea on how the series will end, who will be the king/queen, who ends up with who and whatnot, but he might change his mind on a few details or, while writing, might realize that it doesn't really work and make some adjustments. Or even worse, he might realize that the ending doesn't work that well but then force himself to follow through with a mediocre ending just to stay in line with the show.

Martin himself has said that his writing style is more Gardner than Architect and I worry that, by outlining a structured ending for the show, he will end up writing himself into a corner.

I would be rather surprised myself if we ever see the ending in print.

Whether it is an 8 season show as many, including me, hoped or a 7 season one GRRM didn't have a hope of finishing it before them.

We are constantly told that two more books will finish the story, but I very much doubt it. From where we are at the end of ADWD everyone seems in the middle, at most, of their plot progression. The others haven't even reached the wall yet!. If we are looking at 3 massive tomes to finish the series then GRRM needs another 10 years, which he may not have.

Personally I'm just grateful we get to see the end, rather than just read a plot summary released from GRRM notes, in a format that can deliver a reasonable faithful approximation of GRRM's vision.

Has anything like this this ever happened before? :rolleyes:

Yes. The movie Scott Pilgrim came out whilst the writer was working on the final graphic novel in the series. The movie of Akira came out halfway through the comic series, which went on for years afterwards. It's actually very common in anime, where they make animated series based on popular manga and usually overtake by two or three seasons in.

Have we seen the first example of the TV shows leading the books. Series 4 ep 4 Oathbreaker.

Vague spoiler (below) warning for those wishing to complete the books before the TV show beats them to the end of the story.

We meet some kind of white walker leader, in a ceremony of sorts, where he changes a newborn human male child into a new walker? Possible future need for humans to supply the babies then?

Interesting on a number of levels. Regarding the timescales of the two story formats and the content.

Meh, to be honest, I prefer the shows. The books are very well written, no doubt, but I get tired of most any story at around 3 books, though I've gone 5 occasionally but the plotlines were extremely varied. On a tv series I'm used to watching for years and years, (though it's most often too many)

Have we seen the first example of the TV shows leading the books. Series 4 ep 4 Oathbreaker.
Marvin, I dunno if it is the first in all of television, but I think it's a first for ASOIAF.

I knew HBO would omit characters and events in order to improve the pace of the story. Strong Belwas, the little old woman at High Heart, and Eddard's dreams are prime examples.

And I knew the show would probably add a few characters and events. Roz; Jon going back to kill the mutineers come to mind.

I also knew the show would change things for stylistic reasons or time constraints, e.g. Gendry becoming a composite of Gendry Waters and Edric Storm.

But I did not know that HBO would expand the parts of some characters because the actors are soooooooooo excellent. These include Maester Luwin (Donald Sumpter), Olenna Tyrell (Diana Rigg), and Tywin Lannister (Charles Dance).

HBO has shown us things we knew, but of which GRRM had remained ambiguous, e.g. Renly and Loras had a homosexual relationship.

HBO has made fact things we strongly suspected, but as of which GRRM had only given us the details from questionable characters, e.g. Littlefinger and the Queen of Thorns conspired to murder Joffrey.

HBO has confirmed things we somewhat suspected, but of which we were still unsure, e.g. Theon's gelding.

HBO has let me know that some rumors that I thought were false are definitely true... like Oberyn's bisexuality.

And HBO has shown us things to which the books did not even hint... e.g. Pod's sexual prowess.

But an Other taking a baby boy to Ice Mordor to turn him into an Other is brand new.

Boaz, once again I find myself wanting a 'like' button for the chrons.

Since you filled a page with goodness, let me do my thing and point out the only things that I didn't agree with:

1) Wasn't Oberyn's sexuality specifically mentioned in his introduction in the books? It seems like I remember something like "... a multitude of young women, and even some young men too..." or somesort. Definitely not a hugely distracting component of the character, but that's HBO for you.

2) What did you think the walkers did with little babies left out for them?

Wasn't Oberyn's sexuality specifically mentioned in his introduction in the books? It seems like I remember something like "... a multitude of young women, and even some young men too..." or somesort. Definitely not a hugely distracting component of the character, but that's HBO for you.
Renly and Loras attempted to secretly live out their relationship in King's Landing and Highgarden... and mayhaps Oldtown as well. Along with Casterly Rock, those are the main centers of wealth, high society, government, trade, and culture. Their relationship was mentioned by Jaime, Stannis, Tyrion and others... and Cersei, a known liar. The overwhelming opinion of high society was that Renly and Loras were an open secret.

Unlike them, Oberyn's bisexuality was only mentioned in King's Landing where the people are openly hostile to and disdainful of Dorne... the Appalachia of Westeros. Tyrion's POV says something like "hinted" and "dark rumors". Oberyn openly fathered many bastards, fought a duel after taking another man's wife to bed, and kept a luxuriant wanton as his mistress. I took any mention of bisexuality as malicious slander against the champion of Dorne.

What did you think the walkers did with little babies left out for them?
I knew it was unpleasant... but I thought the Others ate babies.

Edit: By the way, I've been waiting for Oberyn to say....

"Hello. My name is Oberyn Martell. You kill my sister. Prepare to die."

Last edited: