GAME OF THRONES will last for 7 seasons, says HBO

Werthead

Lemming of Discord
HBO have confirmed that they envisage a 7-season plan for the series.

The showrunners had previously held out for 8, but it now looks like they have accepted 7 and are now actively planning for that. They have consulted with GRRM and created a detailed outline for the rest of the story.

According to GRRM, he should get The Winds of Winter out ahead of the TV show catching up, but admitted that the final book would be 'tight' to get out even on the previous 8-season plan. That means it's more likely than not that HBO will overtake and finish the story first.

It must be weird to work on a show where you know how long it'll last, but also not know how it ends right now.

I remember watching the commentary with Nikolaj Coster-Waldau on series 3 when he remarked he'd a scene in that episode, and had never before had three years' foreknowledge of a scene in a TV show.

I really don't know if I'd like to see the end of the story through the TV show first. I love the show, but it would just seem like sacrilege to find out the ending in any other way than it was originally intended. It's been such an epic series, I'd want to finish it off in the right way.

Avoiding spoilers would be a bloody nightmare though :/

Would it be that bad? I buy the DVD boxsets (no Sky) and, aside from leaping out of the window whenever a trailer appears on TV, haven't had any issues avoiding spoilers.

I know that I should know what happens, but I've forgotten about half of it.

Good to see the full seasons confirmed - it was always a concern that the show might get cancelled after a couple of seasons - simply because most seem to these days.

Have to admit, I think I'll look forward to seeing the rest of the TV series of the books. No doubt there will be some interesting differences, though. :)

When the TV series overtakes the books, I plan to quit watching it. I really want to read the ending before I see it.

However, I'm not sure I will be able to avoid spoilers without giving up the internet during that time period. But I will try to quickly look away from anything discussing Game of Thrones. :)

When the TV series overtakes the books, I plan to quit watching it. I really want to read the ending before I see it.

However, I'm not sure I will be able to avoid spoilers without giving up the internet during that time period. But I will try to quickly look away from anything discussing Game of Thrones. :)

You will have to stick to the book forum where the mods must be very strict that know one from TV land must post anything!
I'm with you Lady, I will read before watch, which is kinda ironic as it was the TV series that introduced me to the books :)

You will have to stick to the book forum where the mods must be very strict that know one from TV land must post anything!
I'm with you Lady, I will read before watch, which is kinda ironic as it was the TV series that introduced me to the books :)

I have a feeling it is going to be very, very hard. But I plan on trying anyway!

And I'm sure now you have found that the books are better than the show. :)

And I'm sure now you have found that the books are better than the show. :)

No contest! The TV show is doing a fine job, but you can't beat that level of detail in the books. I was reading another thread else where about how to info dump into the story and the general consensus was drip feed and less is more etc. It strikes me GRRM doesn't fear the info dump and good on him, I love the vivid descriptions. Probably this should be in book area. Oh well.

We were driving along the coast road recently where they're doing some work on an old quarry and couldn't understand why the rocks were all white and then realised it was the wall! I think they only used that particular one in series one and now film those scenes in Iceland, but it was still kind of cool. :)

We were driving along the coast road recently where they're doing some work on an old quarry and couldn't understand why the rocks were all white and then realised it was the wall! I think they only used that particular one in series one and now film those scenes in Iceland, but it was still kind of cool. :)
The sets for Castle Black are still in a quarry (perhaps the quarry you saw) in Northern Ireland. There was an article on Winter is Coming about the location, Magheramorne Quarry.

T'was a very big wall.
I think (don't quote me) GRRM has said, somewhere, that on seeing the set he realised just how big his fictional wall would be, and that it could have been a lot shorter and still have been suitable for its role in the story.

I'm the same way. Watched S1E01 and fell in love. I HAD to know what happened. I've always been an avid reader, but too young to know GRRM until I saw the show. I devoured those books.

Edit: and I WILL finish the books before I finish the show. No questions asked.

Amen, AC. Keep preaching... mayhaps we'll get some converts.

Wonderful news. My family got HBO just to see Game of Thrones. I still need to read the books. Will have to devote my summer to this.