Finally finished my first draft!

SleepyDormouse

dreaming away....
After 3 years I have finally finished my first draft! I'm really pleased with myself (despite it having taken me so long!). To have finally got to "the end" is a great feeling! It felt like it would never happen, but in reality my WIP has been very near the end for ages. I kept tinkering with the starting chapters instead of finishing the draft off.

It is only 34k as its a middle grade, so not all that long really.. but I've never written anything that long before.

of course I now have the fun task of re-working it over and over until its good, but a first major hurdle has been crossed. :)

Excellent! You have completed a novel, which, IIRC, puts you in the top 1% of those who start one!

It's high fives all round here tonight.

High fives are ok, just don't start dancing Alchemist, I don't need the flashbacks.

Well done Sleepy, enjoy the moment.

Thanks!

Do really only 1% of people finish a first draft? That is very low.

Something like that. I think it's easy to forget when we're somewhere like the Chrons with loads of brilliant committed aspiring writers, lots of whom have finished stuff, that just getting to the end is an achievement in itself. I should pin that up somewhere where I cna see it regularly!

Congratulations. Put it in a drawer and don't take it out for at least month, go and so something else, wrte something else, paint the shed, summat like that. Then come back and look at it with fresh eyes, for the rewrite!!

Congrats :)

The first draft of my first book took much longer than the others, so (if you do write more) the second and third will probably be a bit quicker.