Words of Radiance

ratsy

So, the release date is here and gone. My copy is in transit to my house from Amazon. Any one else excited about this book?

I am currently re-reading Way of Kings and loving it. I read too much to remember all the details of a massive book like that so I needed a refresh...glad I did because I forgot half of it.

I hope to start the sequel this weekend if I finish WOK. There are few books that get me this pumped up but Sanderson will do it every time.

Any one else order it?

Er... jein. I liked Way of Kings and will buy Words of Radiance sooner or later, but I've got a few books to read, not much money/time, so it'll probably be delayed (as has happened with Tales of the Ketty Jay and Space Captain Smith).

It's a bit pricey on the Kindle, but I do recall the first book was bloody enormous.

Yeah over a thousand in my hardcover...i think amazon says the new one is 1088 pages...so good bang for your buck

Aye, I don't think it's unreasonable, it just feels a bit odd to spend so much on an e-book. I really liked the world-building in Way of Kings, and it'll be interesting to see how that's developed in Words of Radiance.

Yeah, the first book made the world seem so huge, with so much left unsaid. The scope of it is just huge and I have no idea where he will go with it. I liked his interludes hinting at other things..so cool

I am currently reading song of ice and fire, and as soon as I finish it, I will be reading way of kings. Hope that it is a good read.

I only made it halfway through Way of Kings before giving up, so, sadly, I think I'm checking out on this series.

Just finished reading Words of Radiance.

In many ways this is a stronger book than The Way of Kings in that it feels more balanced between the POV characters, everyone has an interesting storyline, whereas The Way of Kings could flag a little whenever the POV switched from Kaladin.

There is also a typically strong ending for a BS novel.

However some minor criticisms:

Firstly that everyone seems to talk in modern slang no matter how formal the setting.

Secondly Kaladin is rather too Emo for much of the book. He isn't supposed to be a surly teenager but an experienced soldier who has led men in battle for years, and suffered as a slave in between.

Onto page 713 and absolutely loving it. Glad that Shallan has such a large part to play in the book too. Agreed on kaladin being too emo

Whats the rule on spoilers in this type of thread? Can we discuss the book fully or must repsect people who haven't read it?

I loved the book. I was amazed at how fast I read this monster of a book. I too noticed how modern the speech was but Sanderson has never set his stories in a strict medieval world so I honestly didn't mind.

I actually really loved the Interlude Chapters in this one...the girl with her "Awesomeness" was a great chapter that used a totally different writing style and it felt like a great short story.

After reading some reviews after I read the book I was taken aback a little by all the connections from this series to his others. I have read them all and did not know they were all in the same universe. Character cross overs and all of that, was a big surprise. I read mistborn a few years ago and would never notice...same with warbreaker. It has actually made me want to re-read warbreaker because apparently there are a few connections there.

All in all, it is a great read with some more than exciting scenes. Books like this make me remember why I love to read and why reading is so much better than Television.

I will also agree, Kaladin was too emo. Shallan was a great character in this book and her back story was a surprise one after the other.

Very happy that WoT is done so he can focus on this great epic.

Whats the rule on spoilers in this type of thread? Can we discuss the book fully or must repsect people who haven't read it?

You could use the spoilers tag in this discussion - just type in:

[ spoiler ]insert text here[/ spoiler ]

but remove the spaces between the brackets.

Or else, start a new thread: Words of Radiance (Spoilers!). This is a dedicated Brandon Sanderson section, so multiple threads on a similar - or same - topic, are to be expected. :)

Loved it, loved it, loved it. I was lucky in that I read The Way of Kings recently so didn't have too long a wait. Also, I read the darn thing so fast that I can now look forward to rereading it at leisure and picking up all the details I missed out on the first read! :D

Yeah, Juliana, I just -reread Way of Kings this month so I did a back to back and it was even better...2100 pages of Sanderson...that is a lot of words....of radiance...:)

Words of Radiance is better than a way of kings after finishing it. I can't wait to see the storm that is coming in the next book and I am glad there is redemption (kind of) for Szeth

I loved these books, read them as fast as I could and can't wait for the next one to come out. I honestly have no idea how Sanderson is going to bring this current end of the world emergency to a conclusion, but I am faithful that he will.

Just finished reading Words of Radiance.

Secondly Kaladin is rather too Emo for much of the book. He isn't supposed to be a surly teenager but an experienced soldier who has led men in battle for years, and suffered as a slave in between.

I agree 100% with this statement about Kaladin being to emo. I get that he is supposed to be a paladin whose actions made him lose his powers for a while, but did he have to be so depressing? I liked the Kaladin in the first book better. Maybe Sanderson was trying to show us the other side of his Kaladin's personality, the side that feels sorry for himself and blames others and can get very negative and depressed and make poor decisions. Kaladin is only like 20 something years old in the story I believe, so maybe this is a more realistic portrait. I guess it makes the character more believable when you can dislike some of his traits.

Back