Sci-fi fantasy written in the 1980s

Wand3r3r

I'm looking for the name and/or author of a book I read in the early 90s. The basic premise was that there was a subculture of mages who dealt in opposing magics, ie fire/water, earth/wind, etc. The main character utilized life/death, I believe, and the main villain used good/evil.

I vaguely recall the title having something to do with a pawn.

I remember enjoying the book and would like to find another copy of it. Can anyone help me out?

I've read her, and enjoyed her books but it's not the book thinking of.

The other thing I remember is that there were two parallel worlds accessed by the mages. One was earth, and fairly modern. The other was more medieval and accessed at night either in their dreams, or via some form of astral projection.

Oh man, you reminded me of a book that I read once - I have no clue what it was called. I think that it might have been the same book, since I recall the main character specializing in necromancy magic too. Nostalgia out the wazoo, damn.

I can't recall any of the other features of the plot though. Maybe something about a rogue, or some other characters that he surrounded myself with - all too vague.

Maybe I'm off, though - lately I've been thinking... Might & Magic, or Magic the Gathering... had something to do with the book that was on my mind.

I think you are looking for the Darwath trilogy by Barbra Hambly

The Time of the Dark
The Walls of air
The Armies of Daylight

Back