Is it okay to start reading Terry Brooks with The High Druid of Shannara Trilogy?

SirSamuelVimes

I work at a lovely gym and enjoy it thoroughly. I
I have been wanting to start reading Terry Brooks for a long time now, but have never gotten around to it. I recently was shopping through Barnes and Nobles, and saw that they had the complete trilogy on sale for eight dollars. I couldn't resist buying it, but I wanted to know if it's okay to start with this series? I see that it's a separate series, but it's in the same fantasy world as earlier series by him. I just don't want to feel like I'm jumping in the middle of the story.

RoninJedi84

I would actually suggest starting with the Voyage of the Jerle Shannara trilogy - Ilse Witch, Antrax, and Morgawr - the series that comes before High Druid.

The main characters in High Druid were in this trilogy, and if you skip it then you will miss out on a lot of the characters' development and back story, which becomes important the further you get into High Druid.

You could start with High Druid I suppose, but you'd probably be left wondering why anything mattered.

biodroid

Expensive Gadget User
I would also like to know if one can skip The Sword of Shannara and start with Elfstones? Is it imperative to read SOS?

SirSamuelVimes

I would actually suggest starting with the Voyage of the Jerle Shannara trilogy - Ilse Witch, Antrax, and Morgawr - the series that comes before High Druid.

The main characters in High Druid were in this trilogy, and if you skip it then you will miss out on a lot of the characters' development and back story, which becomes important the further you get into High Druid.

You could start with High Druid I suppose, but you'd probably be left wondering why anything mattered.
Thanks, I'll definitely do that. I always hate feeling like I've jumped in to the middle of the story. I only bought this series first, because it was a deal I couldn't pass up.

SirSamuelVimes

Actually, you should start with First King of Shannara because it sets the storyline in motion. I still have my hardback copy I bought when it first came out.
So by saying you recommend me to start with First King of Shannara are you saying I should read the Shannara series, the Heritage of Shannara series, and the Voyage of the Jerle Shannara series before reading High Druid? I was just asking because it has those three series listed before this one in High Druid.

biodroid

Expensive Gadget User
I think on Terry Brooks site he mentions an alternate order to his book. Checkout the forum on his site, I havent been there in a while but it was informative.

SirSamuelVimes

I think on Terry Brooks site he mentions an alternate order to his book. Checkout the forum on his site, I havent been there in a while but it was informative.
Thanks, I looked it up and it was helpful for sure. It still recommended me to read a couple series before I read High Druid though. Which is fine by me. I'll get around to it eventually. I kind of jump around in my reading. I read multiple series at the same time a lot, and am doing so now.

Reivax26

Actually a Tennessee native who married a crazy woman from NC and moved here last October.

The Running with the Demon trilogy won several awards when it first came out, especially the first 2. It was a trip for people because they were so used to him writing about Shannara but it was set in modern times in a small town in Indiana.