Terry Goodkind's Sword of truth series

chongjasmine

Any of you like terry goodkind's sword of truth series.
I am about to read wizard first rule, the first book in the series, and before I do so, I will like to find up how people here think of the series.
Do feel free to give your opinions here.

I enjoyed the first book but a lot of people don't like him because of the way he is towards fans. I also heard he becomes preachy and claims he doesn't write fantasy. It is more traditional fantasy than what currently dominating the scene. His sales figures must count for something and he does sell quite a lot of books. Try it you might enjoy it. You could read a lot worse books out there compared to this.

I started the first book, but couldn't finish it. The writing and detail seemed very good, but the plot... it was just too convenient. I couldn't suspend disbelief whatsoever and decided to give it up.

Thaddeus - what do you mean by too convenient? Something like the plot was setup for all the heroes to have success and never be in any real danger?

It's been a while since I read, but it seemed like there were no plot twists but everything was in the right place. I think it reminded me of the sword in the stone, if Arthur was introduced in the first paragraph, the sword in the second, and he pulled it out in the third.

I have read about four or five of the series, I just got fed up with it. As you said Thaddeus, things seemed to be rather convenient. Also I just didnt like the world the set up of the world or the constant sado masochistic themes that crept in the later books. Just felt these things were a bit too gleefuly described. :eek:

Sado-masochism, eh?

May I abandoned the books too soon... ;)

I actually enjoyed the first two books, enough so that I continued reading (and buying) books 3,4,5. I tired of the absurdity of Richard's 'power' that he never, ever, realised and I tired of Emperor Jagang's complete evilness, and I tired of the prophecies that went on and on and on and on, trying to be so complex they were intriguing, when they were downright boringly stupid. But, like picking at a scab, preventing it from healing properly, I kept returning (via the library, refusing to part with more money) got to the end of the last book, the climactic scene and went: Huh? Is that it? And I'm afraid it was. The most annoying thing is, it's time gone I'll never get back... Apparently, there's another book with Richard and Kahlan, and yet another prophecy, and more magic and you know? I'd rather have chiropractic treatment than bother.

Seems like I'm all alone here but I loved the series and I would suggest you read book one and see what you think.

Heather, the books are undoubtedly popular, so I'm sure you're not alone :)

I read all of them! all of them! (well not the latest one)

I stopped enjoying them after 6 and then it became a sick obsession; a train wreck I couldn't take my eyes off of.

I will agree, they get very preachy...most will say that Faith of the Fallen was the worst of the worst. Coincidentally enough I was around 19 and impressionable at the time and I ate up the preachy prose like a duck in a desert finding an oasis of water.

In retrospect the books were not that bad. I will say there is a lot of action but even more pages of philosophical discussion that would make me glaze over these days.

If you choose to take the journey, it will be a long one, and at times a painful one but it will be an experience unlike no other...good or bad! ahha

ratsy,

Faith of the Fallen was my favorite book in the series so I guess everyone has different reactions to the same thing. I love how Richard won't let anything come between him and Kahlan and I just can't get enough of the Mord-Sith.

I think The Omen Machine was the only book that I really didn't enjoy in the series.

ratsy,

Faith of the Fallen was my favorite book in the series so I guess everyone has different reactions to the same thing. I love how Richard won't let anything come between him and Kahlan and I just can't get enough of the Mord-Sith.

I think The Omen Machine was the only book that I really didn't enjoy in the series.

Well like I said..i think faith was the most preachy but it also drew me on the most. I will agree and say that was probably my favorite as well. If I were to reread the series now that would probably change.

Omen was the worst...well the law of nines was a new kind of worst ... Heather. U should count how many time Omen says prophecy..i need to know that stat.hahah

ratsy,

Omen was weak but I really liked all the books up to that ( I never read Law of Nines). For me the only thing that I really didn't like was the devotion being repeated over and over.

ratsy,

Omen was weak but I really liked all the books up to that ( I never read Law of Nines). For me the only thing that I really didn't like was the devotion being repeated over and over.

I would love to know what you think of Law of Nines

It was toted as a real world thriller...but it is really the same story line. Check it out.

I see there are many different opinions regarding sword of truth series.
I shall proceed to read book 1 of the series.