HBO foreshadowing and my latest theory

Dunneroo

There are no men like me
After re-watching season 3 on Blue-ray, I can't help but thinking about the similarity of Meera Reed's character and Jon Snow. Would HBO really cast an actress that looks EXACTLY like Jon Snow by coincidence?

Alfie Allen, refering to Jon Snow's parentage, was quoted as saying, "it involves a bit of a luke skywalker situation."

game-0f-thrones-s3-teaser-gallery-meera-reed_zps84a3ac30.jpg

url-41.jpeg

If R+L = M is true, it would make some sense comparing Meera to Lyanna. It was said that Lyanna beat down some squires and was portrayed as the she-wolf who could handle her own. Meera does fit that mold, as she is a good hunter and handles weapons well.

Has anyone thought about this possibility? The producers know the character arcs, so wouldn't they have to cast Meera as someone who looks like Jon Snow? I can't believe they wouldn't notice the resemblance, or is it another play of mis-direction to keep readers/watchers guessing and going crazy like me?

Time to do some research, more to come....

I don't have my books with me, but in AGOT Jon is described as smaller than Robb, I think. Jon was quicker, yet not as strong as Robb. Robb was fair and Jon was dark. Robb sounds like a Tully, but this does not make Jon a Stark... in fact he sounds more like a crannogman... a Reed.

H+L=J has been put forth before... because Rhaegar was not the only one to notice Lyanna at Harrenhal. Yes, Rhaegar was the dashing, yet melancholy Crown Prince. And yes, Robert was the leader of the Alpha Betas. And yet.... even after spending at least a year away from the North, Howland was instantly recognized by Lyanna. Did she have a crush on him?

But you're saying R+L=J and that Meera and Jon were separated at birth? Well, they're both about sixteen years old in ACOK. So Eddard took Jon and Howland took Meera. Meera has all of the learned skills of the crannogmen, but not the innate powers that Jojen (and presumably Howland) has. Has Maera, let us have a Valyrian spelling for her at least, ever shown any warging ability?

It's interesting, but give me something more than the actors looking similar.

Although the actors look vaguely similar, GRRM's description of them does not lead one down that path. Actually they are described as being quite different, and each is described in reference to the people that they resemble.

Too busy to look up the actual references in the books, but here is what a wiki of ice and fire has by way of summation for the appearance of Meera:
"As is typical of crannogmen, Meera is short and slim. She has long brown hair and green eyes.[2] Although she is flat chested and is never remarked as being particularly beautiful, Theon Greyjoy seems to have considered her attractive"

Here is the one for Jon:
"Even at age fourteen, Jon is said to have more Stark-like features than any of his siblings. Jon has a lean build, with dark brown hair and grey eyes so dark they border on black. He is graceful and quick.[3] Tyrion Lannister notes that Jon has the traditional Stark face in everything but name— long, solemn and guarded— a face that gives nothing away. He remarks to himself that whoever Jon's mother was, she left little of herself in her son's appearance.[4] Arya Stark is said to resemble Jon the most of the Stark children"

Also see my post on the other thread that Daenerys is more likely to be the Leiah of the Luke and Leiah duo.

Perhaps they were trying to make a point about who had the blood of the "children", in a general way. But I wouldn't rule out a twin thing with Jon, or a Howland Reed parentage for Jon. Who knows?

I must say, I really Really like the idea that Meer and Jon are twins, separated at birth with Ned taking Jon and Howland taking Meera. The one thing I can't make fit, is Meera's green eyes. It suggests that she has some Crannogman in her, and I am a firm believer that R+L=J