The Gathering Storm (book 12) -- Discussion Thread with SPOILERS

HoopyFrood

It's me! Hurrah!
Genuinely couldn't remember the book title, then, I had to look it up! Is this the one that started with the farmer seeing the weird, moving storm? I think it must be...I've been on this book much longer than normal...

So...my poor Semirhage *weeps* She was wasted, she could have done so much more. Though I guess she did take out the Empress and co. I wish Jordan wouldn't keep wimping out on showing us these moments, instead giving us endless Aviendha punishments or Rand having yet another internal conflict.

Also wish he hadn't have copped out on killing Min. At the end of the chapter I was all "oh boo hoo, Rand" out loud, but now that we've delved into his weird new acceptance I rather like it (maybe 'cos it might mean he'll stop complaining ;)) The way he kicked Cadsuane out, ooooh.

Egwene, what a BAMF. I can't see how anyone could dislike her; and she's surely the one that goes through the most, and best, character growth.

Also, I wish Mat would stop faffing around and just start heading towards Moraine already! I have a feeling that whole bit is going to be weird, so I'm looking forward to it.

Also looking forward to Sanderson taking over more, seeing as he's apparently more event - event - event. Getting real tired of Jordan's repetitive-ness and going over things far longer than needed.

You should be reading Sanderson by now. He wrote a lot of that book... (And ruined Mat, noooooooo!!!). And yeah, he did start the book with the storm. I liked the atmosphere...

And heh! Yeah, I liked that Rand moment, when he came into those other powers (gasp!!!) and fought back. That was a wow-moment. And heh, yeah, Cadsune needed someone to tell her off. I HATED her for a long time, always being so high and mighty with Rand.

And YES!!!! How could anyone HATE Egwene?! She is the stand out character in it, and she's so awesome. I have read someone here say she's the worst character in the series, though. :confused:

Can't wait for you to get to a certain Mat place, anyway. You'll know it when you read it. I think you'll like it. :D It was WEIRD!

Aaaand... you should be seeing lots of stuff beginning now, that shows the Final Battle is nigh. :eek:

Right, better get writing done before I have more websitey stuff to do in the next wee while.

Aw, just looking back at old threads, and more specifically, the thread for book three.

And I said, after Eggy had done her rings bit,
Out of everyone I want her to really rise and become powerful (or like in the Third Arch even) because it will be satisfying to see her grow so much.

Aww yeaaaah.

Also, another point on Egwene and the arches -- I remember complaining that each one centred around Rand. Woot to how much that has changed :D

And I don't know if it's because you mentioned it first and it's made me pay more attention, but in the chapter last night Mat did feel different. Mostly his swearing. It used to have a rhythm to it, but in the last chapter it seemed every sentence was 'burn me, burn it'. It feels different.

However, if it's the Sanderson effect that's made Talmanes into his new sassy, droll self, then I love it :D

Heh, yeah, I will admit to chuckling to myself at your Eggy comment. Jordan had BIG plans for his characters :D (even if he took a while to get there). I like that he gave us so many books to get to know the plain ol' characters (and like them) before he had them be AWESOME.

And LOL! Yes, you think Eggy will be centered around Rand, and then... :eek: (Well, you will know, being on book 13... ;)).

I can't believe you said elsewhere(;)) that you like Mat, though. You're the only one I know to say that - even from the many people Seph met on Dragonmount.com. It's good that you're enjoying him at last, at least. He was one of the REALLY memorable characters, for me.

(OH, I MISS THE WOT!)

However, Seph and I still say Talmanes is Mat in disguise. Branderson SO made Talmanes into Mat's old personality as he was trying so hard to make Mat the likeable character he is (and failed). So yeah, I think he must have felt it easier to write Talmanes, less pressure, and in doing so made Mat's personality instead and gave him Mat's subtle, unintentional humour. I don't now what he turned Mat into, imo. An overt clown that is just there for laughs, when Mat's humour before was always incidental?

But... now I shall create book 13's thread. YAAAAAAAAAAY!

All the characters seem to be growing into their awesomeness now. Both Egwene and Perrin have now, in the space of some damn brilliant chapters, realised they're both more than Egwene and Perrin -- they're the Amrilyn Seat and Perrin Goldeneyes! And suddenly Rand is like, Light incarnate and making clouds disappear and grain de-rot.

Well, Mat has always been the joker of the lot. He's always seemed to me like the class clown, deliberately faffing around (I forget the details, but I recall dogs(?) covered in flour at the very beginning of the very first book and it was the first thing to ever crack me up in the series) He's never felt incidental to me, though certainly the things he got himself into were always quite amusing!

Talamanes to me just feels like pure sass. I love him :D

But yeah, even Mat's POV prose makes me laugh now. Him described a barkeeper whose mouth was so small it looked like he's swallowed his lips by accident did make me laugh!

Also meant to say -- I've certainly never disliked Mat or felt meh about him -- he's always been great (well apart from moments when he could too stubborn, but then that would be expecting one of Jordan's characters to not be annoying in some way ;)) but now he's just even more so.