Someone end it, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colbey Frost

aka Christian Nash
The title is a tad overdramatic, but this synopsis is driving me mad. It's about 1k. The agent I'm looking at accepts them up to 3k. I'd prefer a shorter version, and it was much shorter, but I've tried to turn it into more of a short story in order to get that flow and to chop away at some of the confusion brought about by the other version.

Anyway, I will love you forever if you can help me crack this synopsis barrier I have. I know I'm trying too hard and thinking about it too much, but I feel like I'm gettting there, and this version is the first one that's given me a little hope.

With the start I wanted to introduce the world a little, set the scene. With the middle, I wanted to show the MC's struggle and conflict with the creature inside him. With the end... I'm at a loss with the end. Do you see a clear structure of start middle and end, whilst at the same time reading it as if it were a short story of its own?

Any help or advice, however random, is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: The forum's software keeps pushing words together. I think I've corrected most of it, but you never know! Also, this will be a nice birthday gift for me if I can get something going with this damn synopsis! :D

Synopsis - CABAL

In the dark of his father's keep, sixteen-year-old BHAAL has been experimented on, his pubescent body forced to mutate. His insane father, KANAK, has attempted to mould him into a twisted champion, the soul magic in his veins creating a misshapen weapon. He is expected to fight back against the Terrors breeding outside of the city walls. People are isolated and inbred, boys like Bhaal taught to wield a sword from the age of four. Bhaal’s time has come.

Bhaal hides in shadow as he sneaks out of Hubris through the mazeof Wards. Whilst avoiding the chaos of gang rivalry in the Wards, he is more fearful of the Wardens; giant machines powered by the souls of the dead; answerable tono one. They do their job of keeping the Terrors out, but also keep people locked in, the ancient technology lost in an age of dark magic.

He manages to escape the city and its Wardens, but without their protection he is faced with an army of Terrors using humans as hosts. At first he thinks they might be real people, but their awkward movement and wax-like skin gives them away. Bhaal is infected with one as he tries to battle the Terrors. Rather than be turned, he becomes a vessel, the soul magic in his blood giving him some life to grasp at.

Bhaal escapes back to the city with the Terror still inside him and is found by his overprotective brother, RAMUH. His first thoughts are of Kanak, of making him proud, but the entity wrapping around his innards taps into his mind. It pulls up memories of his father’s abuse, images of himself and Ramuh being whipped, their naked bodies sliced open. Bhaal argues his father’s vision, explains to the Terror that without Kankak, Hubris would have no future. It doesn’t agree and feeds Bhaal logic. It shows him that no good can come from the abuse of man, no matter their intentions. It continues to speak with him, but his internal battle isn't always noticed by his brother and they have to rely on a relationship forged in the cells of a madman to help in their struggle to become men.

Bhaal is forced to think that Kanak’s grand scheme for Hubris is born out of arrogance. He decides that for Hubris to survive, Kanak must die, but this is the Terror’s plan, the parasite pulling the strings of a naïve boy. Although Ramuh doesn’t know of the creature corrupting his brother’s mind, or its plans, he agrees with everything Bhaal has to say, his younger brother’s focus and newfound self respect something to be admired.

Kanak hunts down his sons, storming through the Wards in search of any news. Before Bhaal and Ramuh can act, the city is invaded by the Terrors. The one inside Bhaal – now called Guts – had made sure its kin saw where Bhaal had re-entered and was now leading them from inside him, although the boy doesn’t yet know.

Bhaal and Ramuh are helped by an ambitious girl called TALLI after her Ward is destroyed by the invading Terrors. She stays close to Bhaal, his soul magic and training a slither of hope in a city soon to be in flames. She is contacted in secret and has to decide whether to betray Bhaal, help him, or both; the old Ward-bosses fearful of the boy’s power. People hide in the shadows, waiting for Kanak or Bhaal to make a mistake, avoiding commitment until opportunity shines. Everyone hopes the Wardens will be enough to see the enemy off, but Terrors infect them too, the idiot-machines like hammers, punching their way through stone and flesh.

Kanak finds Bhaal, but rather than fight, they try and convince each other that what they’re doing is right. Ramuh and Talli are stuck in the middle as son and father try to find common ground. At the centre of their argument is the safety of Hubris and its people. They decide that together they can drive back the enemy and mount a plan to see them destroyed.

Guts is able to communicate with the other Terrors in secret and, whilst he doesn’t have full control of Bhaal, he does have control over his kin. It targets Bhaal’s father. After their shaky reunion, Kanak is killed in the Terrors' invasion, impaled by a rogue Warden. Guts manipulates Bhaal further, turning the sorrow and confusion against the boy. The Terror causes him to become more like Kanak, leaving him unsure of who he is, his thoughts fixated on power and success.

Bhaal slaughters many Terrors, Guts’s anguish as the deed is done fuelling him to more destruction, his augmented confidence hacking away at Guts’s control; the parasites only mistake. With Ramuh and Talli, he tries tofree Hubris’s people from the enemy’s grip. Bhaal’s brothers look to him as a leader in place of Kanak, their inbred rage used in wild defence. The city starts to look up to him as a leader too as he fights for the freedom of the city and himself. The city is swarmed, but the different Wards unite as fate digs a mass grave, their grubby hands clutching at broken swords and iron bars.

Ramuh and Talli stay with Bhaal despite his inner struggle. And, while Ramuh had been Bhaal's protector at a young age, Bhaal was now protector of all.

Bhaal absorbs the Terror lurking inside him, drawing on its fluids to feed his body, Kanak's master plan not yet complete. His muscles tear, but he strikes against the Terrors in one last snatch for life. With his throat half collapsed, and his shins snapping under the weight, Bhaal fights on, Kanak's vision for a better life, free from the Terrors and rotting city, driving him; Guts’ violation of his mind and body consuming his thoughts with hate for the Terrors. He collapses, surrounded by dead Terrors, recognised as the hero he never thought he could be, the twisted champion his father planned him to be.

Bhaal's swollen body gives up and he is taken, plugged into archaic machinesstill powered by the souls of the dead. Ramuh fumbles with the machines. When he thinks Bhaal might survive, Talli thrusts a dagger into Ramuh's neck, her decision made, her loyalty to the Ward-bosses and its people. She leaves the dying brothers. The city is safe, but evil of the Terrors is replaced by that of man. A spark of soul magic keeps Bhaal alive and he closes his eyes not knowing what he will find if he awakes.

(There will be a book two, not sure how to end anovel knowing there’s a part two)

Last edited:
Synopsis - CABAL

In the dark of his father's keep, sixteen-year-old BHAAL has been experimented on, his pubescent body forced to mutate.

You use a lot of comma splices - where two phrases are linked by a comma and not a conjoining word - which is a style choice. Personally, I find it disruptive t the flow to use so many and a real risk in the first paragraph.

People are isolated and inbred, boys like Bhaal taught to wield a sword from the age of four. Bhaal’s time has come

But isn't he the only one of his kind? Isn't that the point?

[

Rather than be turned, he becomes a vessel, the soul magic in his blood giving him some life to grasp at.

So does he choose not to be turned or does the terror?

Bhaal escapes back to the city with the Terror still inside him and is found by his overprotective brother, RAMUH. His first thoughts are of Kanak, of making him proud, but the entity wrapping around his innards taps into his mind. It pulls up memories of his father’s abuse, images of himself and Ramuh being whipped, their naked bodies sliced open. Bhaal argues his father’s vision, explains to the Terror that without Kankak, Hubris would have no future. It doesn’t agree and feeds Bhaal logic. It shows him that no good can come from the abuse of man, no matter their intentions. It continues to speak with him, but his internal battle isn't always noticed by his brother and they have to rely on a relationship forged in the cells of a madman to help in their struggle to become men.

This paragraph lost me a lot - argues for his father's vision? Is it Kanak or Kankak and if they're different what is Kankak? What relationship forged in a cell and when? There are just so many points of confusion that I'm hopelessly lost.

Although Ramuh doesn’t know of the creature corrupting his brother’s mind, or its plans, he agrees with everything Bhaal has to say, his younger brother’s focus and newfound self respect something to be admired.[
/FONT]
the comma splices are getting really intrusive for me here. Also from... say, his younger brother's focus sentence - without an are before something, this isn't a sentence. The grammaticians could probably explain why but it is definitely out. I don't know if he'd mind me suggesting it but if you pmed this to Chrispy he might be able to explain?

the idiot-machines like hammers, punching their way through stone and flesh.

Again, the idiot-machines - and why are they idiots? - are like hammers or attack like hammers but without something additional the sentence is missing something.

[
COLOR=black]Kanak finds Bhaal, but rather than fight, they
Guts is able to communicate with the other Terrors in secret and, whilst he doesn’t have full control of Bhaal, he does have control over his kin.

How?

With Ramuh and Talli, he tries tofree Hubris’s people from the enemy’s grip. Bhaal’s brothers look to him as a leader in place of Kanak, their inbred rage used in wild defence.

So there are more brothers? I am hopelessly, hopelessly lost. And they have inbred rage? If it's important it needs mentioned earlier, if it's not, I'd drop it.

(There will be a book two, not sure how to end anovel knowing there’s a part two)[/QUOTE]

You need to make this one standalone and then just mention there is series potential - the agent will advise from there.

Sorry, for me it's still not working on two levels: I find the story confusing and some of the sentence structure loses me. Hopefully one if the grammar guys can explain why. As it is, there are too many strands thst come out of nowhere in me and it makes it lack clarity, IMHO.

Sorry, for me it's still not working on two levels: I find the story confusing and some of the sentence structure loses me. Hopefully one if the grammar guys can explain why. As it is, there are too many strands thst come out of nowhere in me and it makes it lack clarity, IMHO.

Haha, so many things! I have not polished it. I wanted to see if I could get it going, and if on the right path, then polish it. BUT I know now that these little errors will detract from the synopsis... Hmmm. The actual novel isn't complicated, but I just don't know what to include, and what not to include. You're sick of me, I know, but I appreciate your help.

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Sixteen-year-old BHAAL has been experimented on in the dark of his father's keep, his pubescent body forced to mutate. His insane father, KANAK, has attempted to mould him into a twisted champion, the soul magic in his veins creating a beast with a boy's face. He is expected to fight back against the Terrors –[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif] parasites in control of human hosts – [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]breeding outside of the city walls. People are isolated and inbred, boys like Bhaal taught to wield a sword from the age of four. Bhaal’s time has come.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Bhaal hides in shadow as he sneaks out of Hubris through the maze of Wards. He's able to avoid the Warden guards; giant machines powered by the souls of the dead; answerable to no one. They do their job of keeping the Terrors out, but also keep people locked in, the ancient technology lost in an age of dark magic.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]He manages to escape the city and its Wardens, but without their protection he is faced with an army of Terrors. He faces the very things he was bred to kill. At first he thinks they might be real people, but their awkward movements and wax-like skin gives them away. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Bhaal is infected with one as he tries to battle the Terrors. Rather than be turned, he becomes an unwilling vessel, the soul magic in his blood giving him some life to grasp at.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Bhaal escapes back to the city with the Terror still inside him and is found by his overprotective brother, RAMUH. His first thoughts are of Kanak, of making him proud, but the entity wrapping around his innards taps into his mind. It pulls up memories of his father’s abuse. Images of himself and Ramuh being whipped, their naked bodies sliced open. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Bhaal explains to the Terror that without Kanak, Hubris would have no future. It doesn’t agree and feeds Bhaal logic; it shows him that no good can come from the abuse of man, no matter their intentions. It continues to speak with him, but his internal battle isn't always noticed by his brother and they have to rely on [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]a[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif] brotherly bond forged in the cells of a madman to help in their struggle to become men.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Bhaal is forced to think that Kanak’s grand scheme for Hubris is born out of arrogance. He decides that for Hubris to survive, Kanak must die, but this is the Terror’s plan; the parasite pulling the strings of a naïve boy.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Kanak hunts down his sons, storming through the Wards in search of any news. Before Bhaal and Ramuh can act, the city is invaded by the Terrors. The one inside Bhaal – GUTS – had made sure its kin saw where Bhaal had re-entered and was now leading them from inside him, although the boy doesn’t yet know. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Bhaal and Ramuh are helped by an ambitious girl called TALLI after her Ward is destroyed by the invading Terrors. She stays close to Bhaal, his soul magic and training a slither of hope in a city soon to be in flames. She is contacted in secret and has to decide whether to betray Bhaal, help him, or both; the old Ward-bosses fearful of the boy’s power. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]People hide in the shadows, waiting for Kanak or Bhaal to make a mistake. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]Greedy Ward-bosses[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif] avoiding commitment until opportunity shines. Everyone hopes the Wardens will be enough to see the enemy off, but Terrors infect the [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]guards[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif] too, the idiot-machines like hammers [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]turned on their owners[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif], punching their way through stone and flesh.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Kanak finds Bhaal. Rather than fight, they try and convince each other that what they’re doing is right. Ramuh and Talli are stuck in the middle as son and father try to find common ground. At the centre of their argument is the safety of Hubris and its people. They decide that together they can drive back the enemy and mount a plan to see them destroyed. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Guts is able to communicate with the other Terrors using a telepathic link and, whilst it doesn’t have full control of Bhaal, it does have control over its kin. It targets Bhaal’s father. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]After their shaky reunion, Kanak is killed in the Terrors' invasion, impaled by a rogue Warden. Guts manipulates Bhaal further, turning the sorrow and confusion against the boy. The Terror causes him to become more like Kanak, leaving him unsure of who he is. His thoughts are fixated on power and success.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Bhaal slaughters many Terrors. Guts’s anguish fuel[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]s[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif] him to more destruction, his augmented confidence hacking away at Guts’s control; the parasite[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]'[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]s only mistake. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]H[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]e tries to free Hubris’s people from the enemy’s grip [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]w[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]ith Ramuh and Talli [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]by his side[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]. Some of the Wards start to look up to him as a leader as he fights for the freedom of the city and himself. The city is swarmed, but the different Wards unite as fate digs a mass grave, their grubby hands clutching at broken swords and iron bars.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Ramuh and Talli stay with Bhaal despite his inner struggle. And, while Ramuh had been Bhaal's protector at a young age, Bhaal was now protector of all. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Bhaal absorbs the Terror lurking inside him [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]and[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif] draw[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]s[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif] on its fluids to feed his body, Kanak's master plan not yet complete. His muscles tear, but he strikes against the Terrors in one last snatch for life. With his throat half collapsed, and his shins snapping under the weight, Bhaal fights on. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]He collapses, surrounded by dead Terrors. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]He's[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif] recognised as the hero he never thought he could be, the twisted champion his father planned him to be.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Bhaal's swollen body gives up and he is taken, plugged into archaic machines still powered by the souls of the dead. Ramuh fumbles with the machines. When he thinks Bhaal might survive, Talli thrusts a dagger into Ramuh's neck, her decision made. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]H[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]er loyalty [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]remains with the[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif] Ward-bosses and its people. She leaves the dying brothers. The city is safe, but evil of the Terrors is replaced by that of man.[/FONT]

This is good but needs to be cleaned up because it's too confusing and I think part of it is that you are still holding onto the notion that this has to surprise the reader and in this case these people aren't looking for the surprises they are looking for a well told well thought out story. Give them the insight you would not give the reader.

I have had trouble with the interface today so I'm hoping my html skills worked this time.

Synopsis - CABAL
-- --
In the dark of his father's keep, sixteen-year-old BHAAL has been experimented on,--delete commma-and -- his pubescent body forced to mutate. His insane father, KANAK, has attempted to mould him into a twisted champion,--delete commma-and -- the soul magic in his veins creating a misshapen weapon. He is expected to fight back against the Terrors breeding outside of the city walls. People are isolated and inbred,--delete commma-new sentence the two sentences don't seem related enough -- boys like Bhaal taught to wield a sword from the age of four. Bhaal’s time has come.

--I don't mind long sentences but you could break the first two up also still they work the last not so much it doesn't seem to complete the the same thought--

Bhaal hides in shadow as he sneaks out of Hubris through the mazeof Wards. Whilst avoiding the chaos of gang rivalry in the Wards, he is more fearful of the Wardens; giant machines powered by the souls of the dead; answerable tono one. They do their job of keeping the Terrors out, but also keep people locked in,--what follows here belongs in the previous sentence and that needs to be reworked and split into at least two sentences -- the ancient technology lost in an age of dark magic.

He manages to escape the city and its Wardens, but without their protection he is faced with an army of Terrors using humans as hosts. At first he thinks they might be real people, but their awkward movement and wax-like skin gives them away. Bhaal is infected with one as he tries to battle the Terrors. Rather than be turned, he becomes a vessel, the soul magic in his blood giving him some life to grasp at.

--I would need clarity on the difference between turning and becoming a vessel (It seems important.) --

--This is good depicting the struggle of Bhaal with recognizing the abuse he underwent in the name of supposed good. Further compounded when the enemy is the one trying to help him see this.--

Bhaal is forced to think that Kanak’s grand scheme for Hubris is born out of arrogance. He decides that for Hubris to survive, Kanak must die, but this is the Terror’s plan, the parasite pulling the strings of a naïve boy. Although Ramuh doesn’t know of the creature corrupting his brother’s mind, or its plans, he agrees with everything Bhaal has to say, his younger brother’s focus and newfound self respect something to be admired.

--Again this is good the indication that this newfound freedom from his past has a price he hasn't been informed of and he might be bringing his brother down at the same time.--

Kanak hunts down his sons, storming through the Wards in search of any news. Before Bhaal and Ramuh can act, the city is invaded by the Terrors. The one inside Bhaal – now called Guts – had made sure its kin saw where Bhaal had re-entered and was now leading them from inside him, although the boy doesn’t yet know.

--I'm unclear what Bhaal and Ramuh are attempting to do except possibly kill Kanak-that should be made more clear--

Bhaal and Ramuh are helped by an ambitious girl called TALLI after her Ward is destroyed by the invading Terrors. She stays close to Bhaal, his soul magic and training a slither --maybe sliver or different meaning of slither than I know--of hope in a city soon to be in flames. She is contacted--By whom-- in secret and has to decide whether to betray Bhaal, help him, or both--is she Psychotic--; the old Ward-bosses fearful of the boy’s power. People--People is too passive here what people in the shadows-- hide in the shadows, waiting for Kanak or Bhaal to make a mistake, avoiding commitment until opportunity shines. Everyone hopes the Wardens will be enough to see the enemy off, but Terrors infect them too, the idiot-machines like hammers, punching their way through stone and flesh.

--You may need to collect your thoughts better in that last paragraph it begins to become confusing(only a bit)--

Kanak finds Bhaal, but rather than fight, they try and convince each other that what they’re doing is right. Ramuh and Talli are stuck in the middle as son and father try to find common ground. At the centre of their argument is the safety of Hubris and its people. They decide that together they can drive back the enemy and mount a plan to see them destroyed.

Guts is able to communicate with the other Terrors in secret and, whilst he doesn’t have full control of Bhaal, he does have control over his kin. It targets Bhaal’s father. After their shaky reunion, Kanak is killed in the Terrors' invasion, impaled by a rogue Warden. Guts manipulates Bhaal further, turning the sorrow and confusion against the boy. The Terror causes him to become more like Kanak, leaving him unsure of who he is, his thoughts fixated on power and success.

--This becomes really confusing and needs more explanation if Guts wants to make Bhaal become like Kanak whom he tried so hard to show was doing something heinous. If Gut doesn't have to make sense that part needs to be clarified. Or if the Terror did this by accident through his plan that should be made more clear.--

Bhaal slaughters many Terrors, Guts’s anguish as the deed is done fuelling him to more destruction, his augmented confidence hacking away at Guts’s control; the parasites only mistake. With Ramuh and Talli, he tries tofree Hubris’s people from the enemy’s grip. Bhaal’s brothers look to him as a leader in place of Kanak, their inbred rage used in wild defence. The city starts to look up to him as a leader too as he fights for the freedom of the city and himself. The city is swarmed, but the different Wards unite as fate digs a mass grave, their grubby hands clutching at broken swords and iron bars.

--This looses a lot of clarity and I think the relationship between Gut and Bhaal need better explanation to understand the wide ranging consequences of each others acts. Very easy place to lose someone-it almost seems unclear to you also though I'm certain it isn't.--

Ramuh and Talli stay with Bhaal despite his inner struggle. And, while Ramuh had been Bhaal's protector at a young age, Bhaal was now protector of all.

Bhaal absorbs the Terror lurking inside him, drawing on its fluids to feed his body,--are these thoughts that closely related-- Kanak's master plan not yet complete. His muscles tear, but he strikes against the Terrors in one last snatch for life. With his throat half collapsed, and his shins snapping under the weight, --Again way too many unrelated thoughts this is happening all through this and causing confusion--Bhaal fights on, Kanak's vision for a better life, free from the Terrors and rotting city, driving him; Guts’ violation of his mind and body consuming his thoughts with hate for the Terrors. He collapses, surrounded by dead Terrors, recognised as the hero he never thought he could be, the twisted champion his father planned him to be.

--Chaining sentences together seems to have sapped all of you well planned irony from the piece leaving uncertainty.--

Bhaal's swollen body gives up and he is taken, plugged into archaic machinesstill powered by the souls of the dead. Ramuh fumbles with the machines. When he thinks Bhaal might survive, Talli thrusts a dagger into Ramuh's neck,--Her motive should have been better shown earlier- it still looks like you want to leave mystery to surprise the agent/publisher and I don't think you want to dazzle them this way you want a coherent view of the story with no surprises showing how it logically builds. This falls short but it's one of the best summaries I've read in a while.-- her decision made, her loyalty to the Ward-bosses and its people. She leaves the dying brothers. The city is safe, but evil of the Terrors is replaced by that of man. A spark of soul magic keeps Bhaal alive and he closes his eyes not knowing what he will find if he awakes.

(There will be a book two, not sure how to end anovel knowing there’s a part two)

I thought this was a lot better than the previous ones, certainly I read with interest all the way to the end.

I'm not completely sure how the plot is structured, though, which seems like the most important thing about a synopsis.

If it were shortened to one sentence, what would that say?

Also, I wonder if sometimes you're using more words than you need to. e.g.

"In the dark of his father's keep, sixteen-year-old Bhaal, blessed with rare soul magic, has been mutated into a twisted champion, created to fight the Terrors outside the city walls."

[I'm not sure the rest of the paragraph is relevant. You can name Kanak later when he becomes a character we need to know about]

"Bhaal sneaks through the shadows, leaving Hubris city through the maze of Wards, fearful of the Wardens, giant machines powered by the souls of the dead. They keep the Terrors out, but also keep people locked in, their ancient technology lost in an age of dark magic."

[do we ever hear about the gang rivalry in the Wards again? is it relevant to the story? I liked it, but if you're not going to use it, I wonder if you need to include it?]

[I am assuming that Bhaal is on his way out of the city to fight the Terrors. I am a bit concerned that they seem to be sending him alone, which seems wasteful -- especially given the danger of the Wardens]

So far: boy is mutated into weapon, boy sneaks out of city.

Why would he be sent out to the Terrors if they just take over people's bodies?

Outside the city, Bhaal tries to battle the Terrors but loses; he is infected, one of the host of Terror-controlled humans massing outside the city [maybe need another description of 'outside the city'?]. But the soul magic that had Bhaal selected to be a champion protects him against destruction; he is able to deal with the Terror, become a vessel instead of a mindless slave.

[boy becomes vessel]

From here, it gets a bit confusing. I'm not very sure what happens.

It sounds exciting but I think you focus too much on things like the relationship between the brothers, when I think you need more about what's happening.

Hope that helps. It might well not!

Bhaal escapes back to the city with the Terror still inside him [why?] and is found by his overprotective brother, RAMUH. His first thoughts are of Kanak, of making him proud, but the entity wrapping around his innards taps into his mind. It pulls up memories of his father’s abuse, images of himself and Ramuh being whipped, their naked bodies sliced open. Bhaal argues his father’s vision, explains to the Terror that without Kankak, Hubris would have no future. It doesn’t agree and feeds Bhaal logic. It shows him that no good can come from the abuse of man, no matter their intentions. It continues to speak with him, but his internal battle isn't always noticed by his brother and they have to rely on a relationship forged in the cells of a madman to help in their struggle to become men.

Bhaal and Ramuh are helped by an ambitious girl called TALLI after her Ward is destroyed by the invading Terrors. She stays close to Bhaal, his soul magic and training a slither of hope in a city soon to be in flames. She is contacted in secret and has to decide whether to betray Bhaal, help him, or both; the old Ward-bosses fearful of the boy’s power. People hide in the shadows, waiting for Kanak or Bhaal to make a mistake, avoiding commitment until opportunity shines. Everyone hopes the Wardens will be enough to see the enemy off, but Terrors infect them too, the idiot-machines like hammers, punching their way through stone and flesh.

Bhaal absorbs the Terror lurking inside him, drawing on its fluids to feed his body, Kanak's master plan not yet complete. His muscles tear, but he strikes against the Terrors in one last snatch for life. With his throat half collapsed, and his shins snapping under the weight, Bhaal fights on, Kanak's vision for a better life, free from the Terrors and rotting city, driving him; Guts’ violation of his mind and body consuming his thoughts with hate for the Terrors. He collapses, surrounded by dead Terrors, recognised as the hero he never thought he could be, the twisted champion his father planned him to be.

Bhaal's swollen body gives up and he is taken, plugged into archaic machinesstill powered by the souls of the dead. Ramuh fumbles with the machines. When he thinks Bhaal might survive, Talli thrusts a dagger into Ramuh's neck, her decision made, her loyalty to the Ward-bosses and its people. She leaves the dying brothers. The city is safe, but evil of the Terrors is replaced by that of man. A spark of soul magic keeps Bhaal alive and he closes his eyes not knowing what he will find if he awakes.

(There will be a book two, not sure how to end anovel knowing there’s a part two)[/QUOTE]

sixteen-year-old--targeting ya?--bhaal has been experimented on in the dark of his father's keep, his pubescent body forced to mutate. His insane father, kanak, has attempted to mould him into a twisted champion, the soul magic in his veins creating a beast with a boy's face. He is expected to fight back against the terrors – parasites in control of human hosts – breeding outside of the city walls. People are isolated and inbred,--don't know why but am still finding trouble connecting these two ideas this closely--might be just me but isolation and inbreeding sound bad while learning to wield a sword at age four sounds fun--unless they are being taught to kill in a very hands on way-- boys like bhaal taught to wield a sword from the age of four. Bhaal’s time has come.

Bhaal hides in shadow as he sneaks out of hubris through the maze of wards. He's able to avoid the warden guards; giant machines powered by the souls of the dead; answerable to no one. They do their job of keeping the terrors out, but also keep people locked in, the ancient technology lost in an age of dark magic.

--there is no reason or motivation for bhaals actions unless he's just carelessly wandering, which would need to be expressed here--the sentence structure is still difficult to swallow and this document is going to reflect your style in the book so if you write this way in the book then it would be a definite no go for me--the warden guards introduction comes off as a oh yeah by the way there are these machines. If they are important they need a better stronger intro. And your thoughts seem to be wandering-- the ancient technology lost in an age of dark magic is hanging there at the end when it should be with the initial description of the machines.

he manages to escape the city and its wardens,--you said this up above in so many words-- but without their protection he is faced with an army of terrors. He faces the very things he was bred to kill. At first he thinks they might be real people, but their awkward movements and wax-like skin gives them away.

Bhaal is infected with one as he tries to battle the terrors. Rather than be turned,--is this an option was this an option or did he somehow just discover it could be done-- he becomes an unwilling vessel, the soul magic in his blood giving him some life to grasp at.

Bhaal escapes back to the city with the terror still inside him and is found by his overprotective brother, ramuh. His first thoughts are of kanak, of making him proud, but the entity wrapping around his innards taps into his mind. It pulls up memories of his father’s abuse. Images of himself and ramuh being whipped, their naked bodies sliced open.

--again unclear motivation why would he go back and how would he go undetected if he's infected. Is his being a vessel that new that it's undetectable?--

bhaal explains to the terror that without kanak, hubris would have no future. It doesn’t agree and feeds bhaal logic; it shows him that no good can come from the abuse of man, no matter their intentions. It continues to speak with him, but his internal battle isn't always noticed by his brother and they have to rely on a brotherly bond forged in the cells of a madman to help in their struggle to become men.

Bhaal is forced to think that kanak’s grand scheme for hubris is born out of arrogance. He decides that for hubris to survive, kanak must die, but this is the terror’s plan; the parasite pulling the strings of a naïve boy.

--unclear how he is forced considering that he's been able to fight of the terror all this time it seems more likely that he was convinced by the logical arguementc (check previous two paragraphs) --

kanak hunts down his sons, storming through the wards in search of any news. Before bhaal and ramuh can act, the city is invaded by the terrors. The one inside bhaal – guts – had made sure its kin saw where bhaal had re-entered and was now leading them from inside him, although the boy doesn’t yet know.

--again more clarity needed was kanak already hunting for his sons-when did ramuh go off his radar so to speak? Again we know what bhaal decided but when did ramuh get convinced and is the 'act' the killing of kanak? What are guts plans? We should have a clue right now because later we'll wonder why he had the terrors act now.--

bhaal and ramuh are helped by an ambitious girl called talli after her ward is destroyed by the invading terrors. She stays close to bhaal, his soul magic and training a slither of hope in a city soon to be in flames. She is contacted in secret and has to decide whether to betray bhaal, help him, or both; the old ward-bosses fearful of the boy’s power.

--you need to explain talli's motives better and exactly who contacts her and why she's so messed up her options are way on opposite ends from each other. She's a very important character and you've shrouded her in mystery (synopsis is not the place for mystery.) --

people--what people (not a good time to get passive.)-- hide in the shadows, waiting for kanak or bhaal to make a mistake. Greedy ward-bosses avoiding commitment until opportunity shines.--did they all of a sudden become this way at this point or were they always this way and how important is it to tell us this?-- everyone hopes the wardens will be enough to see the enemy off, but terrors infect the guards too, the idiot-machines like hammers turned on their owners, punching their way through stone and flesh.

--if the machines attack anyone infected how again was it that bhaal was immune to this? --

kanak finds bhaal. Rather than fight, they try and convince each other that what they’re doing is right. Ramuh and talli are stuck in the middle as son and father try to find common ground.--ramuh and talli seem to passive at this point and since talli seems to have an agenda this serves little more purpose than to throw us a red hering. --
at the centre of their argument is the safety of hubris and its people. They decide that together they can drive back the enemy and mount a plan to see them destroyed.

Guts is able to communicate with the other terrors using a telepathic link and, whilst it doesn’t have full control of bhaal, it does have control over its kin. It targets bhaal’s father.

--i think the whole thought of control comes out above with enough clarity it does not bear repeating here. We do still need better picture of plans and motives of guts to understand why its important now to target bhaal's father. That is really not clear in this document.--

after their shaky reunion, kanak is killed in the terrors' invasion,--is this the same first invasion or a second one -- impaled by a rogue warden. Guts manipulates--manipulate and control seem to be separate here and it should be mad more clear otherwise it seems that what guts can and can't do is dependent on how convenient it is to the story in the moment rather than some logical conclusions.-- bhaal further, turning the sorrow and confusion against the boy. The terror causes him to become more like kanak, leaving him unsure of who he is. His thoughts are fixated on power and success.

Bhaal slaughters many terrors. Guts’s anguish fuels him to more destruction, his augmented confidence hacking away at guts’s control;--sounds interesting but i'm confused what exactly is the parasites only mistake? -- the parasite's only mistake. He tries to free hubris’s people from the enemy’s grip with ramuh and talli by his side--helping or just standing there maybe seeming supporting?--. Some of the --might want to remove anonymity that breeds passivity here--wards start to look up to him as a leader as he fights for the freedom of the city and himself. The city is swarmed, but the different wards unite as fate digs a mass grave,--- their grubby hands clutching at broken swords and iron bars--there are other things such as this in here that i could take or leave, are they important enough in this synopsis to keep? --.

Ramuh and talli stay with bhaal despite his inner struggle. And, while ramuh had been bhaal's protector at a young age, bhaal was now protector of all.

Bhaal absorbs the terror lurking inside him and draws on its fluids to feed his body, kanak's master plan not yet complete.--another disjointed compound sentence not sure how they connect -- his muscles tear, but he strikes against the terrors in one last snatch for life. With his throat half collapsed, and his shins snapping under the weight, bhaal fights on.

--this is very descriptive but it seems to fail to convey any sense of order leaving it unclear what is happening. If what bhaal does to absorb the terror causes all these things and he knows it will we need to know that he's doing this despite that. All these things are happening but how and why are lost along with any idea of to what end.--

he collapses, surrounded by dead terrors. He's recognised as the hero he never thought he could be, the twisted champion his father planned him to be.

Bhaal's swollen body gives up and he is taken, plugged into archaic machines still powered by the souls of the dead. Ramuh fumbles with the machines. When he thinks bhaal might survive, talli thrusts a dagger into ramuh's neck, her decision made. Her loyalty remains with the ward-bosses and its people. She leaves the dying brothers. The city is safe, but evil of the terrors is replaced by that of man.
--this part is really unclear. Did ramuh plug bhaal into the machines--what does that do-- should we know this--what makes ramuh think bhaal will survive. Most of all though you have forgotten to express exactly what talli is up to and she almost comes off as a twisted sort of deus ex machina for the ending.--i'm certain that's not the case, but from lack of information it comes out that way.--

Last edited:
Thanks Tinkerdan and Hex! You've given me more to think about, but I'm feeling positive so I thank you for that! I always try and make sure I improve with every crit given and I know after your help I'm another step closer!

I thought it was a lot better than the last one; I could mostly follow it clearly (though I was a bit puzzled by some things such as the extra brothers) and, like Hex says, read to the end with interest. It works as a strong narrative in itself, and I get a definite feel for what I imagine the story-world will be like. The main focus of the story, Bhaal's conflict with Guts, comes across strongly.

A few points

Bhaal hides in shadow as he sneaks out of Hubris through the maze of Wards.

This still doesn't follow on cleanly, for me, from "Bhaal's time has come". But it would work better if you shortened the first line to begin "Bhaal sneaks out of Hubris ...". Something about the "hides in shadow" feels too detailed, too immediate after the summary of the first para; it feels too much like actual text from the novel rather than a synopsis. Hope that makes sense?

He's able to avoid the Warden guards; giant machines powered by the souls of the dead; answerable to no one.

I know usage of semi-colons has a bit of flexibility in it, but I didn't like these. The second should almost definitely be a comma. I'd let you get away with the first, though I'd prefer a colon or a dash (or another comma). But semi-colons are a passion of mine and I have perhaps somewhat rigid views on how they should be deployed.

In the second version at least, you start a lot of paras with "Bhaal", and because the paras are short, this is noticeable and feels repetitive, much more so than the first version. I liked that the first version had more variable paragraph length.

Lastly, I thought the way you ended the first version gave a nice lead-in to the possibility of future books without detracting from the fact that you've resolved the main story of the first one, and (for my money) I think you should keep it in.

I think you're close, though. I'd polish it in light of comments here and then sit on it for a while and see what jumps out at you on a read-through. And happy birthday (for yesterday?)

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Sixteen-year-old BHAAL has been experimented on in the dark of his father's keep, his pubescent body forced to mutate. His insane father, KANAK, has attempted to mould him into a twisted champion, the soul magic in his veins creating a beast with a boy's face. He is expected to fight back against the Terrors –[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif] parasites in control of human hosts – [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]breeding outside of the city walls. People are isolated and inbred, boys like Bhaal taught to wield a sword from the age of four. Bhaal’s time has come.[/FONT]
I agree with Springs about the comma splices. Ouch.
[FONT=Verdana, serif]Bhaal hides in shadow as he sneaks out of Hubris through the maze of Wards. Wards needs definition? He's able to avoid the Warden guards; giant machines powered by the souls of the dead; answerable to no one. They do their job of keeping the Terrors out, but also keep people locked in, the ancient technology lost in an age of dark magic.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]He manages to escape the city and its Wardens, but without their protection he is faced with an army of Terrors. He faces the very things he was bred to kill. At first he thinks they might be real people, but their awkward movements and wax-like skin gives them away. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Bhaal is infected with one as he tries to battle the Terrors. Rather than be turned, he becomes an unwilling vessel, the soul magic in his blood giving him some life to grasp at.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Bhaal escapes back to the city with the Terror still inside him and is found by his overprotective brother, RAMUH. His first thoughts are of Kanak, of making him proud, but the entity wrapping around his innards taps into his mind. It pulls up memories of his father’s abuse. Join these sentences? Images of himself and Ramuh being whipped, their naked bodies sliced open. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Bhaal explains to the Terror that without Kanak, Hubris would have no future. It doesn’t agree and feeds Bhaal logic; it shows him that no good can come from the abuse of man, no matter their intentions. It continues to speak with him, but his internal battle isn't always noticed by his brother and they have to rely on [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]a[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif] brotherly bond forged in the cells of a madman to help in their struggle to become men.[/FONT] Could the 'brotherly bond' be described more simply?

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Bhaal is forced to think that Kanak’s grand scheme for Hubris is born out of arrogance. Forced by whom or what? He decides that for Hubris to survive, Kanak must die, but this is the Terror’s plan; the parasite pulling the strings of a naïve boy.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Kanak hunts down his sons, storming through the Wards in search of any news. Before Bhaal and Ramuh can act, the city is invaded by the Terrors. The one inside Bhaal – GUTS – had made sure its kin saw where Bhaal had re-entered and was now leading them from inside him, although the boy doesn’t yet know. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Bhaal and Ramuh are helped by an ambitious girl called TALLI after her Ward is destroyed by the invading Terrors. She stays close to Bhaal, his soul magic and training a slither of hope in a city soon to be in flames. She is contacted in secret and has to decide whether to betray Bhaal, help him, or both; the old Ward-bosses are fearful of the boy’s power. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]People hide in the shadows, waiting for Kanak or Bhaal to make a mistake. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]Greedy Ward-bosses[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif] avoiding commitment until opportunity shines. Everyone hopes the Wardens will be enough to see the enemy off, but Terrors infect the [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]guards[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif] too, the idiot-machines like hammers [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]turned on their owners[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif], punching their way through stone and flesh.[/FONT] It would be simpler to say that the Terrors infect the Wardens that are guarding the city.

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Kanak finds Bhaal. Rather than fight, they try and convince each other that what they’re doing is right. Ramuh and Talli are stuck in the middle as son and father try to find common ground. At the centre of their argument is the safety of Hubris and its people. They decide that together they can drive back the enemy and mount a plan to see them destroyed. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Guts is able to communicate with the other Terrors using a telepathic link and, whilst it doesn’t have full control of Bhaal, it does have control over its kin. It targets Bhaal’s father. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]After their shaky reunion, Kanak is killed in the Terrors' invasion, impaled by a rogue Warden. Guts manipulates Bhaal further, turning the sorrow and confusion against the boy. The Terror causes him to become more like Kanak, leaving him unsure of who he is. His thoughts are fixated on power and success.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Bhaal slaughters many Terrors. Guts’s anguish fuel[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]s[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif] him to more destruction, his augmented confidence hacking away at Guts’s control; the parasite[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]'[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]s only mistake. It could be made clearer what Gut's mistake is. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]H[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]e tries to free Hubris’s people from the enemy’s grip [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]w[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]ith Ramuh and Talli [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]by his side[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]. Some of the Wards start to look up to him as a leader as he fights for the freedom of the city and himself. The city is swarmed, but the different Wards unite as fate digs a mass grave, their grubby hands clutching at broken swords and iron bars.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Ramuh and Talli stay with Bhaal despite his inner struggle. And, while Ramuh had been Bhaal's protector at a young age, Bhaal was now protector of all. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Bhaal absorbs the Terror lurking inside him [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]and[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif] draw[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]s[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif] on its fluids to feed his body, Kanak's master plan not yet complete. His muscles tear, but he strikes against the Terrors in one last snatch for life. With his throat half collapsed, and his shins snapping under the weight, Bhaal fights on. You may need to explain why his shins snap under his weight, or omit it here.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]He collapses, surrounded by dead Terrors. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]He's[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif] recognised as the hero he never thought he could be, the twisted champion his father planned him to be.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Bhaal's swollen body gives up and he is taken, plugged into archaic machines still powered by the souls of the dead. Ramuh fumbles with the machines. When he thinks Bhaal might survive, Talli thrusts a dagger into Ramuh's neck, her decision made. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]H[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]er loyalty [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif]remains with the[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, serif] Ward-bosses and its people. She leaves the dying brothers. The city is safe, but evil of the Terrors is replaced by that of man.[/FONT]

I hope that these comments are of some slight help. Some things, like the names, seem to have changed since I read an earlier version of this novel.

You ask about a sequel. That should be possible. I'm told that a first novel should work as a stand-alone. But if you leave a few characters alive, and have some idea how it might go, a sequel should work. Just don't make it too obvious that there is unfinished business at the end of this one.
I recall that my thought on reading the novel was that there would be a sequel, in which the same s**t would happen all over again.

I love the feedback I'm getting. It gives me focus and keeps me motivated. Can't wait to get this going! It's exciting :D Thanks HB and Geoff. I 100% see where you're coming from and can't wait to get home to fix this bad boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.