Discussion Thread -- Seventy-five word writing challenge -- February 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hex

Write, monkey, write
Here it is!

For anyone unaccountably unfamiliar with the term 'mythic fiction', wikipedia says this:

"Mythic fiction is literature that is rooted in, inspired by, or that in some way draws from the tropes, themes and symbolism of myth, folklore, and fairy tales."

And there's a whole reading list here for anyone who wants to investigate further, which says, in the essay at the start:

"Mythic fiction is set in the modern (or historical world), not in a far–off Nevernever land. But it portrays a world infused with mythic archetypes, mystery, and magic."

Have fun :)

And if anyone's tempted to complain (I'm sure no one is), bear in mind I could have exchanged the genre and the theme and then where would we all be? In trouble! Except Phyre, obviously. He'd have been fine.

Yes, I think Phyrebrat would have a distinct advantage in the genre of Dance, and could undoubtedly come up with a dance themed in mythic fiction. :D How he would post it here is beyond me, of course, but that's his problem.

Aside from that, ...hmm...

A quick perusal of that list tells me I haven't read a single one of the 100 books.

And I predict Teresa as the winner this month. Just for the record.

Your faith in me is touching TDZ. But while Mythic Fiction is clearly going to pose no problems, "Dance" as a theme may stump me.

Also, I happen to know that HB is extremely well read when it comes to mythology and folklore, and we've all seen TJ's excellent use of Classic myths. And we all know how formidable they are! Then there is Hex, who could well win two months in a row.

Cool! I've read a few on that list, and I love to dance! :D

Nice choices, Hex. :)

Sitting watching the snow fall in a quiet house, I bring an Irish offering. I look forward to seeing the entries - this is one if my favourite genres and where my two most current books fall.

*presses nose on glass.*

The essay on YA Mythic Fiction that Terri Windling links to (and it's on her own Endicott Studio site, so I assume she endorses it) does contain a number of books which do not take place in our world. Which does confuse the definition a bit.

Blast you, Hex. Wrong month! Wrong month!

Now I either do something out of season or think of something else.

Parson will have to pray hard for inspiration this month. If there is anything I know less about than myth it would have to be dance!!!

Parson leaves muttering about a hex and the Hex and the horrifically poor writing he's bound to do.

(Bonus points for the first person to figure out what really bad movie served as an inspiration for my modest entry.)

springs -- The author creates a sad and beautiful myth, full of poetic images and heartfelt emotion.

Parson: Do you know any apocryphal songs/stories involving dance?

Hopewrites, is going to love the "Dance" theme.

Dance and Mythic Fiction.

Hmm, time to research...oh! One idea popped into my head, but I better see what it looks like on paper first.

(returned quickly) Yikes! Stories are already being posted.

Springs...its still January here!

Slacker. :p;)

(Bonus points for the first person to figure out what really bad movie served as an inspiration for my modest entry.)

springs -- The author creates a sad and beautiful myth, full of poetic images and heartfelt emotion.

Thanks! No guesses from me - coffee needed first!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back