What are you working on right now?

How about doing some of the 75, 100, and 300 worders here on Chrons? It has helped me a lot in my story telling. The 75 and 300 word challenges are up for this month. Go over to the Writing Form and give one or both a go.
Edit.
I also spend a lot of time reviewing the Critique Form as well.
That's not a bad idea. I had briefly considered doing so, but was a bit intimidated. I'll check it out now and see what kinds of challenges there are. Thank you for the suggestion.

That's not a bad idea. I had briefly considered doing so, but was a bit intimidated. I'll check it out now and see what kinds of challenges there are. Thank you for the suggestion.
Good or bad, success or failure, that is the point of them. Just do.
Good luck! And I hope to see some of your work!
Also, critiques are your best friend. Don't be afraid. Fail, learn and grow.

I just passed 40,000 words in my religious thriller. But what feels more momentous is reaching, on page 153, the very first scene I envisioned when I came up with the central idea for the novel more than 30 years ago. It feels surreal!

I'm new to the site, and I'm working on my second draft of a science fiction/dystopian/NA novel dealing with an apocalyptic scenario in which A.I. is playing a major role in remaking the human race in its image.

Bits and bobs, really. I feel that I've got several projects that could work, and none of them are really going anywhere fast.

Not at all! That was a perfectly reasonable thing to say. I just hadn't got round to replying. I'm definitely at an odd point and, while I've always got some project or other on the go, not many of them are, well, going very far. I read an interview with Iain M Banks recently, where he said that as he got older he got less ideas, but the ones that he did get were better. Perhaps there's something in that.

I could see myself having a break in that I'd stop writing for a bit and think it over before starting up again. I suspect that I might need to just sit down and work out some plotting instead of trusting to instinct so much!

I suspect that I might need to just sit down and work out some plotting instead of trusting to instinct so much!
This is where I'm at with the Earthwyrms series. For four books I've been more or less trusting to instinct, with only half an eye on how it will finish. Now I've decided I need to tightly work out the plot for the remaining two or three, and at the moment I'm hating it. I can see the ingredients are all there, but it's knowing the best way to mix them and in what proportions.

I was in a similar place for ages with the third Fire Stealers book, though, and I eventually managed to wrangle a detailed plot that I'm still excited about, so I know it will happen. Maybe I'll go back to FS3 for a bit.

Hi,

Yeah I'm at sixes and sevens at the moment since putting out Freaksville a couple of weeks ago. For some reason I keep re-writing different versions of the same old books that I've already written, just with tiny little twists etc. Things I could never put out. Too tired to do anything original I suppose. Also listening to a lot of old music. But the brain will leap back into life at some stage - probably!

Cheers, Greg.

Very early days, but doing research for an Ancient Greece-inspired TTRPG setting/lore book. Trying to decide what to do about slavery and herms... the question of sanitising Greek myth (and reality) can be tricky. Not just from my own perspective, but for potential readers.

Wrote through midpoint of a gaslamp Gaelic fantasy and paused to assess and edit. I've since spent the last two weeks ripping out whole bits that are irrelevant or no longer work, adding a new character, refining the personalities of 2 characters to make them more distinct and introducing some breadcrumb complications.

Concurrently working on an elevator pitch for a different manuscript for an upcoming conference.

Track switching between those two mindsets has been HARD. Rating: D-, Do Not Recommend.