What are you working on right now?

we knew a few that didn't make it
Sorry to hear that, condolences. The taste and smell thing is weird -we were all sitting in the kitchen when the smoke alarm went off due to food burning and only for it we'd have never known. Get well soon.

I just thought I would stop in and give an update. I've finished the first draft of The Fantastical Adventures of S-69 Lost at 105K words. It needs revision, but I normally put things aside for a while before I come back to them. No publishers are beating down my door, so I'm not bothered.

I have been trying to decide what is next between two projects:
Fail Safe, which is stuck at about 27,000 words. It's not really stuck, but I don't want to write any more until I have a better idea of where it is going. It's the last of a 5-book series, so it has to be right.

I have been working on the other project:
Out of the Frying Pan, which stands at 31,500 words. I posted a chapter in the Critiques section several years ago. I've rewritten that chapter, and worked further. It's full Sci-Fi, which is a little out of my comfort zone. I doubt it will make it to 100K, and it doesn't project to a series, unless I take it to another dimension - the far side of a black hole. (The planet where the main action takes place is destined to be gobbled up by a black hole.)

I have some other projects on hold at the moment that are about the same length, but I won't go into them.

Well, at the end of my covid anti-viral pack (30 tabs in 5 days, bad taste in the mouth and always thirsty with little sleep. Dyslexia doesn't help either)
Will be recording my tracks for @AnRoinnUltra WOW22 project here soon. Then on to my novel.
Really looking forward to the recording, must be the former Ren-Fair street characters in me, or former Justers Squire too. Can't tell any more.

Well, it's been about a billion years since I was on SFF Chronicles, so I guess it's high time to post an update! I am working hard on a YA fantasy trilogy (first book titled When Shadows Fall) and will be self-publishing the first book this upcoming spring. So lots of work has been going into preparing the book for publishing, while continuing to work on the sequels, including website building, email marketing, cover art, editing, formatting and so on. Exciting times as I draw ever nearer to a dream more than ten years in the making! :giggle:

I used to post my progress on Twitter, then I started to do it on Mastodon, but social media is so blah in general. I'll be doing it here from now on. I had some great folks on twitter cheering me on, so I should give them some kind of explanation, but I think it will make more sense here. I'll stop if it gets too much for people.

This is my WIP, which will be Book 1 for a series of stories based in our solar system.

+318, -102 => 105231

Minor progress, but I have the ending paragraph. The main action is done, but I want to set the stage/mood for the next book: some things have been fixed, but only temporarily, and more trouble is brewing.

+515, -159 => 105589

Trying to get away from the "and then that happened" quagmire.

I used to post my progress on Twitter, then I started to do it on Mastodon, but social media is so blah in general. I'll be doing it here from now on.
There is a dedicated thread on here in which people tracked their word counts. It was quite popular at one time. I've searched for it, but can't find it. Does anyone remember enough about it to find it? As far as I recall it was started by someone who had a red imp-like creature as their avatar.

There is a dedicated thread on here in which people tracked their word counts. It was quite popular at one time. I've searched for it, but can't find it. Does anyone remember enough about it to find it? As far as I recall it was started by someone who had a red imp-like creature as their avatar.
I thought it was this thread, as I know I contributed to the word count thing at one time, but I can't find any posts on here that correspond to that. I shall continue looking.

Meanwhile, the red-imp-like avatar -- do you mean scalem X? https://www.sffchronicles.com/members/1139/ I've had a quick look for possible threads by him/her and drew a blank.

EDIT: searched again and found it! A much earlier thread than I thought, started by scalem X in 2007 before I joined! The chronicles word counter!
(I'll move it from Workshop to Writing Discussion, to make it easier to locate next time.)

Last edited:
Meanwhile, the red-imp-like avatar -- do you mean scalem X?
I did think it started with sc, but when I tried to check members starting with those letters, it automatically came up with a list including scarpelius (with a green imp-like creature, who hadn't started the thread) so I thought I must have been mistaken. Clearly the list was incomplete.

Clearly the list was incomplete.
Ah, I'm well used to that. That helpful list only ever brings up members who have been active recently. I'm not sure what the cut-off point it, but certainly when I was checking things for the Challenge stats even members who had posted in 2021 weren't there. (And then if you get the name slightly wrong -- "scalemX" for instance, instead of "scalem X" -- it tells you the member can't be found!)

Was going to record the 3ed part of my contribution to WOW22. But even though I'm beginning my recovery from covid, the unpleasant parts of it still linger on. So tonight, I'll be going over Part 3 instead and clean it up in order to make it easier to record and brings its time down a minute or so.

Caught for time this weather so most of the writing has been in my head. Fine for standup but useless for writing a novel. Someone told me the other day that 'you need to cut down the words you use, Jimmy Carr says he starts with a story and cuts it down untill all is left is a single punchline' -hoping to get hold of a mic someplace and make a few of his jokes fall flat, and then painstakingly explain a deeper meaning Stewart Lee style. Next up is voting in the Challenge, which gets harder and harder (I'm taking this as a good sign in writing progression). And then making tracks towards WotW2022.

Well, it's been about a billion years since I was on SFF Chronicles, so I guess it's high time to post an update! I am working hard on a YA fantasy trilogy (first book titled When Shadows Fall) and will be self-publishing the first book this upcoming spring. So lots of work has been going into preparing the book for publishing, while continuing to work on the sequels, including website building, email marketing, cover art, editing, formatting and so on. Exciting times as I draw ever nearer to a dream more than ten years in the making! :giggle:
Congratulations, really inspiring stuff. As someone working on their first project ever it's nice to see someone reach such an important milestone. This moment is ten years in the making, but I'm curious: Realistically how would you estimate your second and third installment to come along? If you were to base it purely off what you've picked up.

And could you share a few crucial tips that have carried you to this point?

Hi,

Well I just finished and pubbed "The Keeper" my first straight police procedural / detective and am waiting to see how it goes. Don't know why I finally decided to finish the story off - it's been on my machine for years - but I'm happy that it's done. Maybe it has something to do with my having gone through the cataract op - now I see things slightly differently - mostly with a black bar on the edge of my vision! (It's called negative photopsia, and no one ever told me about it before though it affects fifteen percent of those who go through the procedure.)

Anyway the ops done, pedestrians everywhere are grateful, and the books out. Now I'm back on "Bound".

Cheers, Greg.