What are you working on right now?

Hi Guys,

Nothing to report, just a curious observation. I just saw Ned's avatar and immediately recognized old Needle Nose. But for the life of me I can't remember the name of Bill Murray's character. Or Andy McDowell's. Isn't it amazing how some minor characters are more memorable than the stars!

Cheers, Greg.

Been on/ off writing a new novel, the protagonists started with a manned Mars mission gone awry and are now on a magical Jupiter and have fallen out with each other. It's slow progress -I probably don't have the time to be writing something long ...but then others do it so maybe I'm making an excuse ...or maybe I'm not cut out for writing ...or maybe it's all part of how it needs to come together. Just recorded a story from one of the 300 worders. Dunno if anyone is familiar with the term Seanachai -it's a Gaelic word for a storyteller who visited houses telling tales in the time before TV; I like the idea of that, but it'd be like going up against a grizzly bear trying to compete with Netflix -anyways ...THE GRAND PUBLICATION of 'A kick in the runticles' (title robbed from @Dan Jones review of the entry):

Working on not getting overly carried away with my words here on chrons. Made a few to many assumptions without doing any research as to whom I'm posting to! :sneaky: Makes me feel very silly and small on a site that is of such high caliber to begin with!
Think before you post,
Think before you post,
My apologies @nixie
Think before you post...

Working on not getting overly carried away with my words here on chrons. Made a few to many assumptions without doing any research as to whom I'm posting to! :sneaky: Makes me feel very silly and small on a site that is of such high caliber to begin with!
Think before you post,
Think before you post,
My apologies @nixie
Think before you post...
Wonders why someone feels need to apologise to me.
Specially as they've not accidentally feed themselves to Wally ;)

Polished and tweaked a short story today, which is more writing than I've done in quite a while. I'm very pleased with it, too, so I hope it gets to see the light.

Hello, I'm new round these parts, and just finding my way around the forums. I also struggle with completing projects I think I have 5 or 6 stories, of varying lengths and scopes. I bounce around between them. Sometimes setting them down for months or years even. Then I'll have a sudden burst of inspiration for a story, that I have sometimes not even thought about for ever, a literal Brain Storm. And I sit down and right 5000 words. Not sure what to call my genre; I always liked the old term "science fantasy", but you don't see that so much anymore. When I think about it there is an apocalyptic thread that runs through several of my stories. Elements of Weird Fiction with a sprinkling of Glam Rock. Have several longer narratives that I am experimenting at crafting in a serialized flash fiction format. I am very verbose. I love words, and perhaps take a painterly approach to writing. So minimalizing is a real challenge for me. But I enjoy the challenge of crafting a scene, or a segment, that feels whole and complete unto itself, it satisfies AND leaves you hungry for the next moment. I am working on one story about a man in a post apocalyptic world who never leaves his car, literally lives in his car. He works as a courier for the technocratic oligarchs responsible for the collapse of civilization. Through a series of flashbacks the story of the Collapse will be told and the Protagonist role in it. Like most post apocalyptic stories its a moral tale, commenting on anti-intellectualism, materialism and the atomization of society, the unsustainability of corporate greed. That sort of thing. Another story imagines Ziggy Stardust was an actual extra terrestrial who visited our planet with a warning about our immanent Collapse if we didn't radically change our way of thinking. He believes he will have the greatest and widest impact if he communicates his message as an androgynous Glam Rock Pop Icon. When he arrives he immediately signs a record contract with a corrupt Music Mogul, who gets the Stranger hooked on drugs, sequesters him in the recording studio, over works him, emotionally manipulates him, until his message becomes confused and muddled in his own mind. I just wrote a series of short chapters where the Music Mogul is taking the Stranger on a tour of the Record Label's Main Headquarters, and shows him the cell-like "offices" where previous pop icons (Syd Barrett and Marc Bolan) are held prisoners, kept 'medicated' and forced to grind out hollow, empty pop hits. Later it will be revealed that the Music Mogul is the Head of just one National Cell of a Great International Espionage Ring that seeks to render the minds of the future generation into malleable mush through the sonic vibrations of Pop Music. The Stranger remembers who he is and his mission to save the world! The Cosmic Dj who has travelled not simply across space and time, but traversed trans-dimensional bridges across the multiverse, is recruited by a secret Anti-terrorist League, exploring the liberating forces (Both politically and spiritually) of sonic vibrations. Throughout the 70s the Starman travels the far reaches of the developing world, with his Stratocaster and Hammond Organ, sitting in with the local "folk" musicians 'turning them on' to rock and roll, funk and soul as the remedy for Fascism and Tyranny. It is implied that the Starman is an avatar of Michael Moorcock's Jerry Cornelius. Inspired by Moorcock's work particularly in the 60s, this story will be told in a non-linear, cut-&-paste, collage style. Finally, I just had one of those brainstorms about Dr. Howard Phillips a forensic investigator in early Victorian-era London, hired by a beautiful socialite to track down her missing Uncle. Attempting to write neo-noir in a Lovecraftian world, at a time when the developing sciences undermine faith in organized religion at the same it attempted to validate paranormal and metaphysical beliefs. At a unique historical period in which the mechanisms of Colonialism drove an domestic Facination with the exotic, the occult, and the esoteric. Ultimately Dr Phillips learned that the missing Uncle, himself an Explorer and Collector of rare, and powerful exotica, had learned of a rare orchid that, when smoked, allows the subject to not only contact Oblivion, but to turn and look back upon Existence; hinting at a deep existential closure, a whispered promise of absolute, Divine Perspective. Dr Phillips' investigation will lead him through a labyrinth of gradually darker and increasingly sinister dens of iniquity and corruption, from High Society Ether Parties and exhibitions of ritual scarification and trance-inducing ordeals to opium dens and absinthe dives, to the hashisheen of the Mad Arab, the Gibbering autophagous priests of the Necronomicon, to the mouldering crypts where the pale and ghostly orchid grows only in the brain pan of the recently dead. I look forward to sharing some work with you! Thank you!

Hi,

Just finished the first draft of a new Island aliens sci fi - 108 K - and starting the edits and revisions process. I'm running a bit slower these days because my cataract is turning my computer screen into a blur but have just gone on the waiting list for an op in the next few months. Really ****ting myself about having knives digging into my eyes! But when it's that or blindness?!! Damn it!

Cheers, Greg.

Hiya guys!

Newbie here, have been pointed towards this forum by a friend. I've completed my first novel (first book in the 'Etch Trilogy') and am currently saving up for some professional editing to get done on it. Is there anywhere I could post up a little sample to see how it fares?

It's a strange thing having a novel just sitting there waiting for something to happen to it! I'm working on book 2 as well as writing little short stories to build out the world so hopefully that should keep me distracted.

Cheers
Jeff

Hi,

Just finished the first draft of a new Island aliens sci fi - 108 K - and starting the edits and revisions process. I'm running a bit slower these days because my cataract is turning my computer screen into a blur but have just gone on the waiting list for an op in the next few months. Really ****ting myself about having knives digging into my eyes! But when it's that or blindness?!! Damn it!

Cheers, Greg.
Best of luck on the cataract surgery, you will not regret it once it is over. Try not to think about the details; you will not be aware of them. As I tell people, I slept through the whole thing. I know I was worried before having my left eye done, but now I am confidently planning on when to have the right eye taken care of. Cataract surgery has been done for many decades and with major improvements along the way. Try not to worry and I think you will be very pleased with the result when it's done.

It's been a while since I last posted here. I'm now working on two projects actively and have a couple more simmering in the background.

The Fantastical Adventures of S-69 lost (title will probably change)
Description: This is the beginning of a new sci-fi series about 1100 years in the future. This is a project I started a while ago, gave it up, and then recently started up again.
Word count: I'm about 89,000 words into about 110,000, or possibly slightly more.
Setting: mostly Earth, but some planetary travel, terraforming, interplanetary travel is possible and even some intergalactic, but that is still new.

Failsafe
Description
: This is the finale (4th) of a fantasy series 300 years in the future (this installment, mostly, time is a bit fluid between the 2 main characters)
Word count: I'm about 25,000 words into about 100,000.
Setting: Mostly Earth, but also this universe, the multiverse, the Void, and "Hell". The multiverse exists within one character's consciousness, but she is currently marooned in an asylum tucked away in something like hell. It's a creation/apocalypse story.

Hiya guys!

Newbie here, have been pointed towards this forum by a friend. I've completed my first novel (first book in the 'Etch Trilogy') and am currently saving up for some professional editing to get done on it. Is there anywhere I could post up a little sample to see how it fares?

It's a strange thing having a novel just sitting there waiting for something to happen to it! I'm working on book 2 as well as writing little short stories to build out the world so hopefully that should keep me distracted.

Cheers
Jeff
There is a critique section where you can post some 2k words or so. In order to access this you need to have a post count of 25 or more.

I'm trying to get back into writing after college took it out of me. I have this one sci-fi story involving twin robot assassins/crooks finding out about the origin of their humanity. I really don't have much of story for it yet, but I want to start putting the ideas down and hope the rest comes as I go along.

I'm editing the third fantasy novel. It's slightly more ambitious than the previous two, but it's going better than I'd expected. It seems that I did a rough edit just before the pandemic, so some of the bigger errors have already been removed. Now it's a matter of streamlining everything: cutting out needless conversations, putting together scenes that could be merged, and deleting unnecessary words. "It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words," as one of the Party members said in 1984.

Unfortunately, I'm also trying to set up a mailing list on my website and it's so, so difficult. I have absolutely no skill in this area at all. It's eating up my writing time and I'd happily pay someone to do it for me. Ugh.

Gonna do another stand up set. Have a gig lined up next Tuesday so was thinking to ramble on about how we view the Universe in terms of stories, and then mangle the stories by telling them badly. It's technically not writing as I won't get time to write it down but it'll hopefully turn into part of an Intergalactic cookery book at some stage.