What are you working on right now?

I'm working on my first book, it's about the future and based around a series of ideas I've had over the years. It's my first real attempt at writing something with a plan and focus and something I've wanted to do for as long as I can remember. The more I read here the more I start to think I don't have a clue what I'm doing, but got to start somewhere I suppose and this seems the the ideal community to learn more about the craft.

Chris, as I keep saying on this site, if it was easy, everyone would do it. Just have faith, and you'll make it through to the first draught. That's a big step, by the way. Good luck.

I'm working on my first book, it's about the future and based around a series of ideas I've had over the years. It's my first real attempt at writing something with a plan and focus and something I've wanted to do for as long as I can remember. The more I read here the more I start to think I don't have a clue what I'm doing, but got to start somewhere I suppose and this seems the the ideal community to learn more about the craft.
It' okay to not have a clue. You will discover a lot through the process of writing and this site has many people who are willing to provide suggestions and advice when you run into one of those strange, off-the-wall questions that seem to crop up. The best advice is to have fun with your writing. Enjoy the good days and persevere through the bad ones (we all have them!).

Starting is the hard bit. Keeping going is difficult but starting is the important bit.

I'm currently colouring a one page comic strip called 'Attack of the Bloody big Lobster' which struck me as hilarious when I wrote it but now, after I've stared at it for several hours on and off over the last few days, looks about as funny as a week old dead rabbit. I like starting projects and I like finishing them; it's the bit in between I hate.

I need to get my next project outlined so I can start drafting September 1.

I’m working on a free Immortality FAQ through my university. I try to address people’s questions and concerns related to the subject of immortality and try to convince humanity of the benefits of an immortal lifespan, or at the the very least as close as we can get, say a few thousand years, to a few million, or literally to a possible indefinite lifespan. It’s proving to be more controversial then I originally predicted. Best

Good luck, Chris! I'm in the same boat as you. I'm constantly going back and forth on the storyline— not to speak of grammar and punctuation! I've only ever written on online platforms, and writing an actual novel (to have it considered for publication) is a whole other world!

I'm currently working on a high-fantasy novel. It is a series of many, many ideas that I've had over the past few years, and I've finally decided to build my own world where I can make these stories come to life! And honestly, I feel this is the best thing that I've ever decided on: creating my own world is so much fun and gives me so much freedom. I finally stopped focusing on whether others would like it as much as I do, and come to love the characters and their stories as much as me.

My writing may be far from excellent— but I hope my passion for this world and its stories will make others want to read it someday! :)

It is done... in principle at least. My second book The Pegge and The Pendrel. I'm anticipating some minor edits notwithstanding any beta feedback. Here are the stats:

Screenshot 2021-08-05 at 00.02.25.png

And my monthly word counts:

Screenshot 2021-08-05 at 00.03.35.png
Screenshot 2021-08-05 at 00.03.48.png
Screenshot 2021-08-05 at 00.04.00.png

Well done. Did you breathe a sigh of relief? I did.
Not really. Although I am always glad to get through the first draft of a novel. It's the most 'grueling' part for me.
I backed up the file on a flash drive, emailed a copy of it myself, and then went to bed (since it was well past midnight).

After a year of self discovery and writing essays about my writing journey (I have to say they were really useful), I finally have a story that I know I am going to complete.

It's set in 1829 in Forres (North Scotland) where I live.

The MC is the town sergeant. His mother is a midwife who oversees a birth where the mother and baby die. The father is angry and loudly accuses the MC's mother of witchcraft, blaming her for the recent Great Flood (entire villages were sort of swept away). Next day the body of the father is found. It's really coming together as a detective story with magical realism.