What are you working on right now?

I'm at 4,000 words on my short story, 8,000 on the novelette. Both are now on the cusp of the Big Event...

So, why am I procrastinating writing those scenes??

I've already written them in my head, and after I've finished with them, there's a bit of clean-up in both, then I can start editing for publication! But here I am, roaming the Internet looking for distractions...

About a third of my short stories were sci-fi at one point, but I don't think I've written one in the past 20. I've returned to a sci-fi story I wrote in 2016 for draft 3. I'm slowly making progress; writing seems harder than ever this year. I ate my dinner in front of my PC, as I didn't want to get out of the writing zone only to struggle to get back in it again. This particular story has doubled in length so far - it's amazing how much necessary detail I left out in those old stories.

I'm allowing myself little distractions like this forum, as it seems to be making the writing a bit easier when I go back to it, instead of sitting blankly for half-an-hour or more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vaz
So, for the first time I break the barrier of 10k words :) and I am nowhere near the end of the story. I did not plan anything, it come out as a joke, then it became serious matter, when the characters began to develop. More important than anything, I have an ending I like it, with a bit of emotion and a lot of hope.

Pounding the last unruly chapters into place. The novel now stands at about 105k, which is about 10k over where I was aiming. I figure once it comes back from my editor, I'll cut at least that much. It's due to the editor by April 8. I'm sweating, but I think I'll make it.

The worse deadline is April 4. I foolishly booked with Hidden Gems. The booking wasn't foolish but the timing was. I had to delay it from January, the original booking, and I did that before hearing back from my editor when I had to delay *her*. The result is that a not-entirely-ready novel will go to Hidden Gems. Which was stupid of me.

Oh well. As they say in gaming: die and learn.

Doing a massive rewrite on a 400 page sf thriller for reprint purposes. And building my first website ever, and doing a terrible job of it. Then I'm going to have to edit a YA fantasy trilogy I just sold to a publisher.

I've just finished a short (5k) in a genre i've never written in before.

I think the result is good. Maybe I should use a pen name for this one. Anybody have an idea?

Outlined the very basics of the next Sir Edric nonsense (after Corpse Lord, hopefully out this year). I'm refamiliarising myself with the woe of trying to come up with the start of the story.

As for me, two months after I gave up on it and decided I hated the loathsome piece of crap and the electricity it rode in on, I found I like Earthwyrms after all, and am revising the early chapters for subbing. Especially since the timing (school climate strikes etc) couldn't be much better.

(Plus still working on Fire Stealers 3.)

As for me, two months after I gave up on it and decided I hated the loathsome piece of crap and the electricity it rode in on, I found I like Earthwyrms after all, and am revising the early chapters for subbing. Especially since the timing (school climate strikes etc) couldn't be much better.

(Plus still working on Fire Stealers 3.)
I liked Earthwyrms. I think you're being hard on it.