What are you working on right now?

Back to my Novella Leave Me inspired by The Big Peat and his music. I had abandoned it for a while, but it wouldn't abandon me. I aim to actually finish it this run and hopefully get some outside thoughts and input on it.

How much revision will you do before you get outside eyes on it?

Working on my first rough draft. It is a novel(la?) called Almost Endless City. I'm about 40K in right now. It will Clock in at about 50-60K. That seems like an awkward number though. Should I trim it to 40k and make it a novella, of puff it up to 80k and call it a novel?

WIP website is nathanjessehoffman.com

Any feedback on excerpts, art, maps, or even overall site design is most welcome.

I edit as I go with a first draft so it's actually pretty tidy (or so I like to believe) I'll probably do another pass once completed then start bribing beta readers.

I edit as I go with a first draft so it's actually pretty tidy (or so I like to believe) I'll probably do another pass once completed then start bribing beta readers.

So how many total revisions until it’s query worthy? Let’s call your rough draft your first revision as well.

I've never queried any of my longer works to be published yet. This will be the first one I finish, everything else is written in unfinished chunks. I would imagine I'd revise more after seeking a developmental editor, though

v

I've never queried any of my longer works to be published yet. This will be the first one I finish, everything else is written in unfinished chunks. I would imagine I'd revise more after seeking a developmental editor, though

v

So the Betas are more to make sure the story works, and the developmental editor is more to make sure the writing works?

An adventure story involving a bunch of heroes summoned to a fantasy world to help save it from invasion.

I'm intending it to be a ever-continuing story. I published the first chapter on a lark (on wattpad) and am now writing a buffer of chapters with the intention of releasing a chapter a week, basically forever.

Right now, I seem to be writing a board game about jousting with giant pigs in my lunch break. Not sure how that happened, but there you go.

My new book is divided into 3 parts, each which should come in around 50K words. I'm finished with the first section, including (1st) edits, and the first few chapters of the second.

My MC is about to sneak into a hospital. He is going to administer an ancient procedure that will save his baby daughter before she is taken off life support. I am so f'ing nervous I'm shaking and feeling a little nauseous.

Ah, proofreading. It's like staring at yourself in the mirror, noticing new flaws for the first time.

Reactions: OHB
I'm working on several projects right now, but I'm largely focusing on book two of my Regency Steampunk series. In all though, I'm presently writing 4 books with an additional 6 others planned (two of my current projects are series). Lol, I'm going to be typing for some time I think.

I wrote two flash fictions in 30 minutes that I'm really pleased with. How great the time pressure in my writing group can be. So I'm honing those.

Sorted out my ideas and WIP file into a new one for the New Year, so we shall see how it goes. I managed to write 4 short stories last year ranging from 1000 words up to 10,000. All submitted. One published. One slated for publication, two still in the mix. I also worked on a number of ideas and have about four WIP ranging from a few hundred words up to a few 1000. For me, after a horrible few years with regards to writing I am actually producing stuff, but it is mainly back as a hobby.

I'm currently taking an enforced break from my WIP. I've written the first of my trilogy, revised it, edited it and generally made it a respectable effort (I think). Now it's out with beta readers and I'm leaving it alone so I can view it afresh.

That's all fine but I miss it. I actually miss the world and characters I created. Does anyone else suffer from this or is it time to call in the men with the white coats?

Reactions: OHB
That's all fine but I miss it. I actually miss the world and characters I created. Does anyone else suffer from this or is it time to call in the men with the white coats?
I felt the same way when I thought I was finished with my current WIP. I ended up having to go back and fix a lot of stuff in it though, so now I'm sick of looking at it. Once I'm finished with it for good, I'm sure I'll miss it again.