What are you working on right now?

I really need to just decide what to work on. I figured there would be slow down after Tooninoot but, not like this... :|

And I really shouldn't start new projects.

I spent the last few weeks querying agents with my new thriller, but yesterday I started a quirky novel about a man's midlife crisis which incorporates a fantasy element. It's based on a movie script I wrote 10 years ago which generated quite a bit of interest. I even foolishly turned down an offer in the expectation of a better deal. Hopefully I can go one better with the novel version.

I'm working hard to finish my novel, Into the Second World, so I can give a decent manuscript to my editor come the first of the year. Right now it resembles a tumble of child's building blocks. It's just a matter of putting it together, filling in a few gaps ... lessee, I think this one goes here.

My plan is to have ARCs available by end of February. I know why they call them deadlines--they're killing me!

I've just "finished" my YA magical-environmentalist novel Earthwyrms (or whatever the book ends up being called, as that might be the series title). Though it's a lot shorter than my usual (about 68k), I've never written a whole book in around six months before, so that's been a lift. The last three chapters are rough as all heck, but I think structurally sound. Today is therefore officially designated Cake For Bryan Day.

Trying to figure out how to publish on Kindle, and generally worrying about the new book. And realising just how much publicising myself makes me cringe.

If only there were somewhere that you could ask people who've done that sort of thing, if you get stuck ;)

Hi,

And now my latest work with the wizard on the motorbike is 68K long - which is good. I'm really enjoying writing this one. It's really quite funny in parts. Mostly the parts with his crazy relatives!

But I have encountered a problem with the title. My wizard is named Baen and for his daytime job he runs a bookstore - Baen's Books. Trouble is I was thinking that might be the title of the book - "Baen's Books: Madness and Magic." It only occurred to me after that of course there's Baen's Publishing. I've checked the USPTO and the current trademark is for BAEN. And there was a trademark for Baen Book - but it was cancelled. So legally I think the title's safe enough. On a practical / moral level I'm a bit worried.

What do you guys think. Running too close to the wind?

Cheers, Greg.

Especially since Baen publishes in exactly this genre, so the readership is even more likely to know the reference. I, too, recommend a name change. Painful, I know.

For the first time in a while, I feel I may have a completed manuscript for my editor next month.

"Would you care for tea and toast, sir?"
"No, thanks. I'm fine with just the panic and despair."

Now I've sent my YA book off to its first readers and I'M NOT ALLOWED TO TOUCH IT, I checked back in with Fire Stealers 3 for the first time in a couple of months. Like putting on an old pair of comfortable and interesting, but daunting, slippers. (Which is what I'd like for Christmas, incidentally.)

Daunting slippers - what the whole family is getting next year.

In the last few days I'm thinking about an idea for a short story or maybe a novelette, I'm not sure how long it will turn out. I haven't thought of the plot yet, just the general idea of the story. The main issue will be about freedom of speech which is I think an important topic now, I guess it will be utopian/disotopian and I want to put bits about Byzantium in it too, like people clothing in byzantine way or something about religion. Yeah I know its a funny combination but its on my mind for a long time, I hope it will go well.

I checked if the production company mulling over my TimeStorm TV series proposal was still interested and they said no, but said they were 'all ears' if I had any other ideas. I just happen to have two other proposals, so I'm tidying them up to send. Also got a full manuscript request for my latest novel from a New York agent. It's all happening today!

No guarantees of success of course, but it's nice to dream...

Been working on my novel and a new piece, I suspect will be novella-sized. I've already completed about 2,000 words on each today!

Now, if i can keep this up!

I wrote a short story I intended to submit to a group I've published with before, but after I'd finished it, I decided not to submit. Oh, I think it's written well enough; but after re-reading it, I realized it wasn't "extraordinary". For the subject matter, it was quite common. I believe it's good enough to include in a collection of stories I'm working on (on and off), but not for the wonderful publications that group puts out! For my collection, I think it'll fit perfectly!

Trying to figure out how to publish on Kindle, and generally worrying about the new book. And realising just how much publicising myself makes me cringe.
Can I ask why it makes you cringe to try promoting yourself?

Been working on my novel and a new piece, I suspect will be novella-sized. I've already completed about 2,000 words on each today!

Now, if i can keep this up!

I wrote a short story I intended to submit to a group I've published with before, but after I'd finished it, I decided not to submit. Oh, I think it's written well enough; but after re-reading it, I realized it wasn't "extraordinary". For the subject matter, it was quite common. I believe it's good enough to include in a collection of stories I'm working on (on and off), but not for the wonderful publications that group puts out! For my collection, I think it'll fit perfectly!

2,000 words is good going on one work, let alone two. Well done you! Personally I find if I write more than 1,500 words a day I sort of burn out a bit for the next day or the quality goes down. :-(

Personally I find if I write more than 1,500 words a day I sort of burn out a bit for the next day or the quality goes down. :-(
I usually run in spurts: I'll do 1500 to 2000 (or more) a day for 3 to 7 days, then run at least that much time with 0 to 200. Ah well... no one ever ever accused me of being consistent! ;)

Hi,

Damn! I was flying through my current book about my steampunk motorbike riding wizard - but then Amazon came through and I got Third Rock on dvd. I've sort of stalled at 105K - but laughing myself silly!!!

Cheers, Greg.