What are you working on right now?

A recent photograph gave me an idea for a short story. Going to write a few plot points down and start writing it out. Crazy how I've been stressing about getting short story ideas, then something like this comes out of nowhere.

I'm close to finishing my Darganau story - which will probably finish just in the novella size (it was supposed to be a ort story!).

I've been editing as I go this time, so it's taken longer. One final edit (after a read by my one first-reader) and it should be ready for publication!

I'm working on a superhero story about a pop idol band leader who becomes depressed until she discovers heavy metal, and completely remakes her band's image, then saves the city. Also starting to draft the sequel to my last sci-fi novel.

I’ve reached the end of the slightly baffling work in progress, as much to get it out of my system as to write a salable novel, and now I’m on the edits. Looking back through this thing – which is a weird mix of Blade Runner, the Bourne films, I Robot, Memento and a Disney musical – I realise that the overall theme is “being confused by life”.

I'm working through the edit for ALYSHA. I went to kateproof for the edits on both A NORTH-SOUTH DIVIDE and ALYSHA, and Kate did a fantastic job. I do recommend her for proofing and edits. I was actually quite shocked at the number of errors she corrected in both manuscripts. I thought I'd purged far more of them than that. I'll hopefully be done with all the edits and final reads by the end of May.

Am moving from research phase to writing phase for my next novel, Into the Second World, while I wait for my editor to return A Child of Great Promise so I can finish editing that one.

Keeping an eye out for short stories, but so far they're no more than lumps under the rug. Nothing identifiable.

I'm doing quite well on my WIP. 22k in the past ten days.

Today, however, the sum of my productivity is:

‘Some hippy sh*t,’ Neil said with a grin.
‘Most likely,’ Willie agreed, ‘but he and I need to catch up anyway.’

And if you can't be bothered to count it, that's 21 words.

21!

Go me.

pH

I have had an unplanned break for a week or two. Spent 20 minutes or so my wip today. Can't always be consistent, I guess.

Hi I'm new to this forum and writing actually. This is the only forum I've found which seems to have a genuine writing community supporting each other which is great.

I'm working on a YA fantasy novel. I have an intense full time job so find it difficult to progress at the rate I'd like. I'm 45k in on my first draft and running a sanity check alpha review. I find getting perspective on my characterisation difficult so this is the primary focus for the review.

I'd welcome any thoughts and advice from those who've been there and done it.

Welcome and good luck!

I've got various bits and pieces to work on right now, but I'm going quite slowly. I'm looking at some older work and wondering what I can do with it, and pondering a sort of detective story set on a colonised alien world. Hmm.

Thanks. Your project sounds interesting, are you playing around with different concepts of crime based on a backdrop of different societal norms?

Keeping up progress can be tricky. There's a nice Chinese proverb about it (in business):

Don't be afraid of walking very slowly. Only be afraid of standing still.

If you can't write a lot, write a little. Sometimes your time will be limited, and sometimes you just won't be in the mood. Happens to us all.

A novel inspired by Dracula, werewolves, Frankenstein, the whole shebang. It shall be cyber baroque in aesthetic.

It's a secret to everyone.

Also, scatching social commentary.

Last edited:
Thanks. Your project sounds interesting, are you playing around with different concepts of crime based on a backdrop of different societal norms?

Well, it's very early days at the moment. I've finished a first story, which is rather different, but I'm wondering whether to do a follow-up with the same characters. The setting's got a lot of potential. It would be very light in tone, but basically, yes!

Finishing up a paid proofread. Interesting to see someone else's mistakes (they're different to my own, which include hilariously awful homophonic typos. I once misspelt 'got' as 'caught'...).