What are you working on right now?

Working on the first non-SF since 1999, and the last finished Fantasy was 1993.

It's Fantasy + a Quest in a world torn by War.

It's got Elves, Dryads, Dwarves and Faerie/Fair Folk (who are the "humans", sort of based on "Tuath de" (lit. = tribe of the gods) who were probably pre-Celtic humans, later mythologised and then much later renamed Tuatha Dé Danann (People/tribe of Goddess Danu).
The Elves are Pale skinned forest & woods dwelling Vegans and Dwarves are nomadic hunters with small ponies, darker and shorter, more muscled. They are two races of the same species that hate each other. Only the Faerie are settled building walled / Enclosed villages, towns and cities.
The Dryads cultivate a particular tree. They feed on its sap. They are green skinned and left alone by the other species as they produce silk (more like spider silk than mulberry moth grub silk). The Dwarves only use it for bow strings, though my wife wonders if they like silk underwear. They are hardly likely to admit such a thing as they think Silk clothes is a decadent waste by females who are being "kept" (no need for Feminists among Dwarves).

Four teens are on a quest (eventually) to get something they hope will stop the War between two Faerie factions which is fast turning into WWI with trenches, black powder and even Dwarves and Elves cooperating to attack both sides. Other Nations are snipping away at the other borders and some becoming allies and some additional "players".

The different Elven houses don't get on very well as all Elves are very arrogant (according to everyone else) and the High Elven House Hulredrinani is particularly disliked. Especially by the Glennaridel Elves.

I'll maybe put 1st Ch in the Writers section. Plot outline completed. World outline and basis of inter species commerce outlined.
System of Magic outlined
Only Dryads are Healing Mages, only a few of course.
Only Faerie (and only a few) are Shapeshifters and Telepaths. So some can seem very Fair indeed. Hence they are the Fair Folk. It's not a complement, they call themselves Faerie.
Only Elves and Dwarves are Wizards (only a few).
Enchanters, Alchemists, Warlocks etc are rare and from any Species.

Courts and laws of the Faerie, I'm adapting from Brehon, with Celtic lawgivers and Druids replaced by the Councils of the Magic wielding folks that exist in each region. Dwarves, Elves and Dryads would rarely seek a Council for justice.

The Councils are split as some of the Faerie members support one side or other in the War. The majority of each Council is figuring how to stop it.

I wonder should I have some sheep/goat keeping Ogres in the Mountains?

Though it's obviously not Earth (unless like Conan or Tolkien a pre-history age), unlike my SF, much of everything is named as if it is Earth (Ponies, horses, sausage, beer, plants food etc).

Sounds good Ray! I love the blended types using history/mythology with fantastic elements.

Although I have done no writing today I did *cough* send over my MSS to Tickety Boo, so... *nervous wringing of hands*!

It was all going so well; working on Bad Leg until I woke up today with the solution to a problem of another short I stopped a year ago called Michael 2.0 - now I'm dithering - Bad Leg or Michael. I'm not good at working on multiple projects at a time so I'm flibbertigibberting.

pH

Sunday saw a scene butchered, reorganised, parts taken out and put in other places ( including the bin) and parts added. Continuity is restored, tightness is tightened and clarity clarified. It was a good session.
Tonight - more of the same. 25% of Liberator is now shiny, rewritten and edited.

Not sure its the heart of the thread, but its what im working on...Been stuck doing a non-fiction essay on the impact of film and tv on the publishing industry. I really struggle to read, let alone write, things like this. But I'm all done and finished it today. So I can start thinking about good old fiction again:)

Two new projects landed on, of all days, World Book Day. Though only one is a book, both involve writing. 'The Book' now has me so flipping confused, it's been banished. I doubt it will see the light of day. There's this 10,000 word thing I really need to commit some brainwaves to, it being due in May and no amount of tries has nailed it yet. You know, it's only the final piece of the dissertation thingy. The book feedback confusion has really killed the mojo. No sweat, no stress. Right? ¬.¬

I finished a scene and did a short scene in Sleepy Grove. I think its coming together nicely!

Started back into the threequel of my series. Re-reading the first few chapters and adding to it as I do, so when I get to the end I can move smoothly onwards...

Trying to transmogrify the functional but not attractive map of Denland I made ages ago into something fit for another human's sight. May strip out the marshes/forests.

This week in short - car fails mot. Dad goes to hospital for major surgery after sudden ( and very lucky) discovery of an aneurysm, he is recovering well. Loads of late shifts at work. Borrow dads car until mine is fixed tomorrow. More late shifts and visiting hospital.
All told, we have edited 2 pages in the last week or so...

Hope your dad's ok.

Thanks thad. Spoke too soon, right after posting that, mum phoned and he's gone back into surgery.

Sorry for jacking the thread. Get back to talking writing folks.

No wonder you've not written much, Quellist. All the best for you and your family. I'm sure your Dad is in safe hands.

Working on my first novel. I took a huge break from it whilst I practised, studied and researched. I also received helpful critique (of an unrelated, experimental project) from some of the wonderful people on this site, helping me improve my writing in general. By my estimation, I should be ready to query again in three weeks. I'm taking my time with it.

Hi,

Took another huge left turn a few weeks ago. Found an old sci fi I had almost finished (I hadn't realised how close to completed it was until I reread it) and then finished it. The Stars Betrayed has just gone to my editor an hour ago for its first pass.

Cheers, Greg.