What are you working on right now?

I decided to start a story for an anthology with the deadline being tomorrow. I have to write three thousand words about Men in Uniform.

Wow, it's a good job you're not wasting time on here, then.

As for the Queen's Guard, wouldn't it be easier for you to just grab some Royal Marines from a passing boat?

Right now working on multiple revisions on a science article for the Chinese market. It is extremely difficult getting the instructions right for the tone, style, format and content. the most challenging assignment I've ever had in 26 years. Ironically, it is for the most potential money to ever have been offered me. It is producing endless headaches and stress.

chris

Best of luck, Triceratops.

No pressure eh, Triceratops? I'm sure you'll wrangle those words in order and enjoy a much needed break when you finally do.

I don't post much here because I try to spend as much time as possible on my WIP. I've come up for air to research a few details for the alternative time line. Probably labelled Steampunk because of the era it's set in. I'm currently in second draft state, which I hope to be done with by mid March.

I've not retrieved all of my data yet, but I did get the most important part - the actual manuscript. Well, the yWriter project file which contains the manuscript plus all of the notes.

Returning to Space Captain Flight, R.S.N. in Perils of the Death Moon!, I've managed to add a few little tidbits which expand certain characters, and I'm just putting in the other version of the start to Chapter 3 which I'd been working on in Blog format.

I am working in collaboration on a science fiction novel, the opening title for an open ended series that will allow for any number of novels, short stories and so on. We created a big universe for all of this, lots of history and colour for us to play in :)
The first novel, well we are about half way through, I have completed one short story, just started working on a second short and also saw the Aliens - The truth is out there anthology thingy and so started a short for that too. I am too busy!

The main work is the novel, fairly far future sci-fi about the remnants of a destroyed mercenary company reforming. Deep characters, their relationships and history with one another are key to the story. I am a fan of quite hard hitting emotional tales and am influenced by the characters of writers like Michael Marshal Smith, people with real flaws and issues trying to do the best they can in unforgiving circumstances.

I also like my technology and enjoy seeing how far I can push ideas but still have them believable and grounded in real science.

I actually have a couple of projects in the works.

Right now, I'm working on a gigantically epic tale of high fantasy...set on another planet. It's a lot of fun, because I get to do what I love best about writing sci-fi/fantasy; universe building. There's something very satisfying about coming up with a complete fantasy world. The world I've come up with right now is a planet rich in a valuable mineral, but surrounded by a force field that stops anything from getting in or out for reasons that will be revealed later. It was a lot of fun coming up with all the details of the world and keeping a world bible for it.

I have another story I want to write, but it probably won't be a massive epic saga. It's about a person who finds out that they are the chosen one mentioned in an ancient prophecy and is meant to save the world. The only problem is there are at least 50 other people who have been identified as the chosen one, so not only is the main character trying to complete the prophecy, they're also trying to kill the other chosen ones, because there can be only one.

Then I have a less developed one that I actually only just thought up recently. It involves alien cyborgs being found underneath a big sheet of ice, and it develops from there.

I have just worked out what it is i want from my book... Well, some parts are still vague but i know the direction i want to send it.

So i'm busy working on it slowly. Just about finished the first part of the first book (it's a trilogy, where the trilogy itself is pretty much the prequel to the main story). Of course, i'm enjoying a nice glass of Ballentine's Finest while I work.

Lots of exciting projects people are working on I see.

I am slogging on with a Fantasy novel, which I've been doing on and off for about a year and a half. It's really my first attempt at an actual novel, so I'm finding pacing and structure a little difficult to get to grips with. I actually tried to start out small and simple but as I drafted it out the plot began to unfold in my mind it became more and more complex and will probably need two or three books I fear!

With my tenth book done (bar kickings from my proof readers/editors) it's been a pleasant couple of weeks writing science fantasy flash fiction, with a diversion into submitting a Lovecraftian flash piece for a competition and adding that and the piece it inspired to my Cthulhu mythos anthology. Some cyberpunk and Cthulhupunk tales have also arrived and sorting covers for all of my stuff approaching or completed is a relief.
Plus a few bits for my pagan/magical anthology and some relaxed decision work on the novel I should aim at next, because 2015 looms and I only have one book that will be ready.

Last edited:
I'm just entering the penultimate chapter of my 'My First Novel' (note: That would be a great name for a novel, but would only ever get published by someone who already has an audience... which just seems immensely unfair)

It's been a somewhat rough ride for sure, with a 3(ish) month gap in the middle, but I'm ploughing into the final bits right now and it's... coming out okay?... I guess? Hard to tell when you're in the middle of it.

'Course, then I'll no doubt have about six months of doubt and recrimination and terrible angst about its quality, so that's something to look forward to!

I got 4 books into my ridiculously huge sci-fi series I've been wrestling with for years, then decided the whole thing needs an overhaul and am revising Book 1.

I've got my four heroes trapped in a lindwurm's lair with the ceiling caving in. But that's not the difficult part. The difficult part is deciding whether to have the four of them scattered by the event and have to find each other again, or whether that's not really needed and let them survive (battered, of course) together. These danged open-world novels can be a pain sometimes!

I'm working on making myself work.
I should be revising Whom the Gods Love, and before that, I should practice revising (since I've never done so seriously before) on the short stories I finished in NaNoWriMo.
I should finish the first drafts of the rest of the short stories I wrote in November, too, and revise them.

Failing that, which I am, I should continue writing the background stories for my new fantasy world. Or even better, just start writing the darn thing already, it's only been in my head for some 6 months already... I suppose it daunts me because it's the first time I try to plan ahead properly, and it feels like it's going to be a long one.

Or I could continue on the (quite bad) urban fantasy magic-is-real story I started in NaNoWriMo. I'm 30k words in, and now facing my first ever sex-scene, which apparently puts me off so much that I don't know if I'll continue that story ever. Never mind that I also don't have a proper plot.

Or I could keep writing about my two mercenary lovers who need to find a way not to fight each other the day after tomorrow.

In short, it's all a mess. I have all the time in the world and end up doing nothing at all.

A snarly, messy half-revised mss. Getting there, though. And then another full read-through and edit to catch my continuity horrors! Poor new baby is on ice for a while.

Something new, which at the moment seems to be straddling the line between MG and YA. Its a bit science fictiony, which means I've had to stop after the first glorious few chapters to actually check my facts and work out if premise is possible (grumble grumble should have stuck with fantasy).

Also need some serious outlining work before I carry on.

Other project on ice, as springs says, at the moment as the voice keeps shifting and doesn't want to go where I want it. Boo. Needs thinking about.

I'm whupping my lazy backside into getting back to work is what I'm doing!

I'm very much revising what I said yesterday, after spending all evening trying to make sense of my 'ending' chapters, and realising that somewhere along the way, I've introduced too much stuff, and there's no way to make it all work convincingly without cheesing something or being implausible...

Ho hum...

NOW... I'm working on fixing the bloody thing ;P It's literally all I've thought about since about 4pm this afternoon... guh...

... this happens to everyone... right?... :)