What are you working on right now?

What I'm doing right now is having a mini panic over a squiffy plot point that was picked up on. I think I'll email amw and share the angst. (That's the good thing about collabs - two brains!)

Today Ian needs to punch his twin brother Andrew who he's not seen for fifty years. I'm trying to portray the fact they are identical twins without actually coming right out and saying it but I may need to.

I'm about halfway through a book I started three years ago, originally intended to be the second of seven. At that rate of progress, the series will be finished in 2047, at which point I'll probably decide to rewrite the whole thing to make it more about prostate problems.

I have finally picked up again the WIP I shelved this time last year. It is a duology. I have about 50,000 words of the first book written and about 25,000 of the second. It was originally one book, but the flash back story suddenly took on a life of its own and I knew I had to write two stories. All the major research is done, just odd bits to do as I write.

It is getting up the courage to begin again. I am slowly reading through thr 50,000 words to get the story into my head again.

The story is set between October 1944 and March 1947. It includes Lanacaster bombers. POW camps. The brutal forced march of POWs from the east of Germany to the west in early 1945. England during the second blitz. (V1 and V2 rocket attacks) A returning POW's struggle to fit back into civilian life. The horrible period of austerity after the War. The bitter winter of 1946-7. All mixed in with a version of the legend of the Green Man. A Brigadoon type village and some rather nasty little creatures.

My head hurts sometimes as I try and make sense of it all.

I am also workng on a re-edit and re-submit for my fantasy romance, the publisher wants more romance tropes and less fantasy. The publisher (a small one, who does not want to see it until May) It is breaking my heart to pull out the fantasy elements.

Just finished a run of writing/editing 6 (yes I did say SIX) short stories.

Currently drafting the first of the big 9 chapters for my new novel... there will be very much smaller chapters interleaved.

Next up will be a thud and blunder (blood and thunder) science fiction novelette!

And after that, who knows?

Sorry if this sounds horribly organised... :eek:

Today Ian needs to punch his twin brother Andrew who he's not seen for fifty years. I'm trying to portray the fact they are identical twins without actually coming right out and saying it but I may need to.

What about implying it was like looking into a mirror or since its been 50 years..a funhouse mirror because Im sure they are different weights?

Lots of interesting stuff going on!

Middle Grade. (I test drove an MG Midget once, but couldn't work the sports-gears!)

If you need a beta... ;)

Ta! And I'm always interested in misanthropic rants. I did actually start a separate blog so I could do that sort of thing myself, but I did one post about litter and recycling lorries and it made me too angry to continue. :D

A-haaa. Middle Grade. Thanks. I doubt I would have been able to work that out. Funny, because we have a beat-up old convertible MG (2002 I think) - I keep begging him to change it as it looks like a hairdresser's car but he loves it. :rolleyes:

Maybe I will expose the world to my rants one day. For the time being I should focus on my fiction. At least that way I won't alienate myself and make everyone avoid me. Too often I am 'that crazy guy on the tube/bus/Tesco' shouting at someone for some (perceived) indiscretion.

And the offer of beta-ing is - well - I am gobsmacked. That's incredibly generous of you. If I manage to ever finish something I would definitely love a no-punches-pulled take on it from you. That's really cheered me up!

pH

What about implying it was like looking into a mirror or since its been 50 years..a funhouse mirror because Im sure they are different weights?

I've got him looking into identical eyes, commenting that twenty years they couldn't be told apart but now they could. Ian wonders how come the lucky sod only needs reading glasses. Then notices a hearing aid and is relieved he doesn't need one. Finally he touches his chin and wonders if he would look that good in a beard :).

Andrew is trimmer, slimmer and his hair is a distinguished white rather than salt and pepper.

It was done over a whole chapter and turned out to be fun to write lol

This is interesting stuff. :)

I'm working on my "final" (ha!) edit for my second novel. (neither is published) Working on query letter and synopsis so I can start submitting.

My book is about a career antiquities thief who is killed and finds herself conscripted as the Assassin of God.

I'm working on Kiss This World Goodbye while waiting for the edits to come back on Vincent Sings The Blues. Another short story - Casualties - has been picked up for the next Third Flatiron anthology so I'm waiting for the edits on that one as well. I'm also waiting for the next edition of Mythaxis (non-paying) to appear on the horizon to offer Truth & Other Upgrades.

I'm currently researching the Berlin transit railway network in the 1940's for History Can Wait; April 1945 - as the Russians close in, beneath the streets of the capital a scientist is using a cold fusion reactor to power an EMP anti-aircraft weapon and other 'impossible technology'. Its the 'impossible' part that concerns the Luftwaffe major who stumbles on the project while tracing his 'kidnapped' technicians...

On current projections I need about 9 days in the week to fit everything in...

Trying to bring together a series of related chapter into a proper storyline. I have the rough idea in my head but I know I need to flesh out the structure and then fill in the gaps between the bits I have already written. Tis a medieval fantasy story with magic

Today is rough - I'm working on a scene where Ian gets to see the extent of the abuse his grandson has been subjected to by the grandson's wife. This one gets me every time I try to work on it.

Thanks. If I ever get it finished. Seriously struggling getting it to flow right and work right. However I remind myself I'm on half the rewrites Mayhem took. Murders, death etc I can cope with but the character with PTSD in his pants covered in scars gets to me every time lol

It's just I'm finding if I state this is what I'm doing and what part of the story I'm writing it seems to be happening. The past few months I've been procrastinating.

Well, right now I've just finished two inquiries that are asking a couple of professional astronomers if they are up to a little email interview. It seems my publisher really wanted some spice in my article and asked me if I could get a NASA person to field some questions. Oh, dear gawd. I'm not a media person anymore and I think it would be awful intrusive of me to ask this type of favor from such persons of stature. I dunno, I crafted two very polite letters and sent them off. I know there are some very wonderful and patient professional people in this world and that I might be needlessly worrying. It's just that it makes me a bit nervous. I hope it works out and I get at least one response.

chris