What are you working on right now?

Yikes. Heavy research topic. I was planning on a piece that dealt with deep psychological problems such as paranoid schizophrenia (still try to put a t in there) but the research started dragging me down.

Major thing to remember...you're not crazy! I know whenever I take a psych class whenever we start the abnormal psych chapter we always get a talk about how a little of each mental illness is in everyone.

I'm starting my Sekrit Santa piece, as well as working on a couple of short stories. Anything to distract me from the essays I've gotta write :rolleyes:

Haven't done much with the wip since the new year. Have instead written down six new story ideas; four sci-fi, one fantasy and one which could go either way but leaning towards sci-fi.

I'm working on my sci-fi series about first contact with an alien race, third chapter where we're getting to actually meet the aliens. I'm also getting sidetracked into a "swords and sorcery in feudal fantasy japan" that started out as a joke at my martial arts club, but might actually end up being a series on my blog. Oops!

So, yeah... my car... :p

So, this'll be interesting. We all like talking about ourselves...

So true...

Yikes. Heavy research topic. I was planning on a piece that dealt with deep psychological problems such as paranoid schizophrenia (still try to put a t in there) but the research started dragging me down.

Now I'm working on my blog a bit, starting to self-publish on Amazon and trying to sort all that out, rewriting a novella piece that I'd abandoned awhile ago, and kind of stuck on the beginning of a Twilight Zone style piece. I have the back 3/4 worked out, but for some reason the opening is sticking. Doesn't usually work that way for me so it's new, but not necessarily in a good way.

That does sound like some harsh research... Are you researching then writing or doing it in tandem? I was flying through my novel a few years ago when I realised I needed to research something about how suspects are detained and as soon as I stopped to do the research I stopped the story. Never been back to it until recently when I started rewriting in it 3rd from 1st and it's like pulling teeth. I'd be interested to know how you juggle keeping the buzz going. Also your Twilight Zone works sounds interesting.

I'm waiting for a big edit, playing with a new MG idea (I say playing, 10k in five days between work commitments maybe means it's playing with me) and running my last one through my writing group for editing. Oh, and threatening to finish the trilogy. Maybe. If I can bear it....

Okay, am I being thick? What does MG stand for? I thought we weren't allowed to talk about our cars :p

Each draft is the revised version of the last; I just switch between them depending on time etc. For instance, I can only apply crits on the laptop (at home) whereas I do most of the writing and early editing on my phone, when out and about.

To echo Mouse's sentiments, this sounds like hell on toast. How do you manage it? Not only that, but I find working on my phone or tablet a real struggle even though I have to do it most days travelling across London, so the thought of editing on it....phew... If you can edit on a Kindle I'd consider doing that however, as my phone and ipad give me eye strain with the glare.

Like Mith I just got my Sekrit Santa assignment, so I'll be mining that stimulus for some kind of story, but presently I am working on two things.

I'm extending Tall Man (as you know). In the story I wrote you I cut the section where Kem is in Brazil searching for The Big Earthworm, and another section where he comes across a huge tree in the forest near his flat which has the bodies of the kidney ward victims hanging there like Christmas tree baubles, ankles tied to wrists and inside a sort of amnion sac. There's more stuff with his Dad and also a midget red imp-like thing from his childhood called Bobsie. So I'm now working those back in with all the other new stuff in a relevant way.

And then, my other one, Soot: I'm about 3 years into that. It's about people dying on the London Underground, drowning from nosebleeds. The MC is Sam from Tall Man, btw :)

The other thing I have been considering but not doing, is a blog. When I tweeted you yesterday about Swimmerset and Glasto, I'd been reading some of your blog entries (I loved the hairdresser one :D) but I just don't know a) what to do, b) why, and c) why anyone would be interested in my posts, which would end up most likely as misanthropic rants.

Oh, and telling Edem to wash the <bleeping> car.

pH

An idea popped into my head for a short story about life, love, and a bucket of flowers. Don't know whether I'll do anything with it.

Thoughts on the flowers in the bucket welcome.

I just finished a young reader picture book and handed it off to my agent. So, got my hopes up about that one. Also, just turned in a science article for Chinese translation rights--it's a topic about the hunt for extrasolar Earth-like planets. Both of these subs are for really huge hunks of money and I'm hoping to hit with one of them.

Other than that, no new fiction because I keep sweating over the premise. I want something mind-blowing, but I'm blocking myself by expecting too much.

I'm expecting galley proofs any day now for the new YA dystopian. I'll be glad when I can send out some ARCs for review and start the pre-launch campaign.

Chris

Hi,

I'm a hundred and fifty pages (actually one forty seven but who's counting!) into working through the first edit of my next epic fantasy The Lady's Man. I don't think that's bad for having got back the first edit only a couple of days ago - but as you can see I'm desperately trying to find anything else to do to distract me from the pain!

Also I wrote a small story 5k or so about the devil having a therapy session, which has just gone off for an edit.

With luck both will be pubbed in February.

Cheers Greg.

I'm on temporary hiatus from Space Captain Flight at the moment due to a laptop going 'poof' - will be restarting the editing process when I've recovered the data.

To keep my brain occupied I'm just throwing a load of ideas around; putting notes together for The Trinity Tolwyn Files, about a glamorous secret agent who's also a single mother living with her parents. I fancy a bit of Bond-bashing, so this is a perfect tool for me to poke fun at the spy genre.

Other than that, I have one of my Time Police stories on the go - the one with the protection unit set up to keep David Tennant safe before he becomes Doctor Who. (The other one, about 'the time I puked on Al Capone's shoes and got away with it' fell with the laptop. Blast.)

I still have some stuff on my Blog pages, so might just fit in a bit of time to try and do the concluding chapter to The Rat Mage, considering I was supposed to have it finished by Christmas. If I get the whole thing finished I can lump it in with Young Master Kindly and finally get the damn thing off the ground on Kindle.

Lots of interesting stuff going on!

Okay, am I being thick? What does MG stand for? I thought we weren't allowed to talk about our cars :p

Middle Grade. (I test drove an MG Midget once, but couldn't work the sports-gears!)

I'm extending Tall Man (as you know). In the story I wrote you I cut the section where Kem is in Brazil searching for The Big Earthworm, and another section where he comes across a huge tree in the forest near his flat which has the bodies of the kidney ward victims hanging there like Christmas tree baubles, ankles tied to wrists and inside a sort of amnion sac. There's more stuff with his Dad and also a midget red imp-like thing from his childhood called Bobsie. So I'm now working those back in with all the other new stuff in a relevant way.

And then, my other one, Soot: I'm about 3 years into that. It's about people dying on the London Underground, drowning from nosebleeds. The MC is Sam from Tall Man, btw :)
If you need a beta... ;)

The other thing I have been considering but not doing, is a blog. When I tweeted you yesterday about Swimmerset and Glasto, I'd been reading some of your blog entries (I loved the hairdresser one :D) but I just don't know a) what to do, b) why, and c) why anyone would be interested in my posts, which would end up most likely as misanthropic rants.
Ta! And I'm always interested in misanthropic rants. I did actually start a separate blog so I could do that sort of thing myself, but I did one post about litter and recycling lorries and it made me too angry to continue. :D

I'm editing, editing, and then working on a rewrite of my main wip, following input from my writing group, as well as sneakily putting more into an idea I had that was stimulated by Victoria Silverwolf in the 'Hook my first line' thread. Like Springs, the idea won't leave me alone. Periodically, I have to go downstairs and help the builder who's putting in a downstairs loo, and a new fireplace, because he's working on his own and needs help with heavy lifting. I stood there with two hoovers going while he angle-grinded a section for a new lintel, so we'd try and cut down on dust... it worked a little bit...:(

The epic tale of two mighty empires clashing on a strange and deadly planet. One side fights for its life, the other for its death, and neither will surrender. Against a backdrop of savage, galactic war, four people must journey upriver on a secret mission that will test them all to breaking point. Also, there are jokes and ponies.

I'm waiting for a crit on my last wip, stuck on my current wip - finding words to express my current POV character's terror is like detaching superglue! Pretending to do something useful, I spent all morning rationalising folders for a few short stories and now I'm searching for something exciting online. Another effective writing day!