What are you working on right now?

Do you know what they are? What beta feedback have you had and from whom?

From the publishers to whom I've submitted, the only feedback I received came from a small outfit. It was vague, reading, "The book is very good...however...we do not currently have a place for it on our current two-years-out plan."

Do I know what "organs" need removing, or need "transplanted?"

Well, for one--the novel contains a prologue titled, Disambiguation, and I've heard rumors that prologues are a turn off.

Number Two: P.O.V. The entire book is written as a memoir, and is narrated by a quantum professor as he takes youngsters from planet earth on a tour of a quantum mishap, which occurred between August, 1941 and December 15, 1941. Most of the memoir narrates what took place within our twin sister universe, who is also on the brink of their own Second World War. Thus, the protagonists--a pair of estranged teenage siblings--are not the direct perspective-takers within this strange tale. I've heard rumors that agents and editors balk at the omniscient version of point of view??

Number Three: There is an "Aslan-Like" creature--an prodigious eagle (based on the middle-eastern snake eagle), named Zayin. This may send shivers of 'a novel with a religious jaw' down the spines of agents, publishers, and even prospective fans who read it. This character was not designed to draw up any such sensation, yet, I fear it may. I suspect this, because after moving to second phase in a writing contest with an earlier chapter, I never made it to second round--the chapter I submitted? Taming the Boy--where this grand eagle pins the boy to the ground because his latent anger posed a real danger within the universe of Saiyandria, where things like resentment or joy emit radiation from a creature's heart; the boys latent anger could have posed a danger to everyone and thing on the Hero Island of planet Delcimer. Hence, Zayin's prudence in taming him. Doesn't seem religious to me, yet, to my reader(s) it could very well draw up negative associations, as religion just is not something with which I or many others are able to do business.

Number Four: Themes. The main theme is about the reconciliation of the two estranged siblings, and their safe return to their own world--planet Earth. Yet, there are many more themes along the way. The memoir narrates a journey where each of the characters are met with controversial problems similar to those encountered by youngsters, today.

The dreaded and multiplying Dusk Plant symbolizes the horrors of falling victim to drug abuse and addiction.

The two siblings are mixed race--their mother is African-American/Cuban; their father is Irish white! Tyler Rain wishes to be black--he is 'white enough' to gain entrance into white schools and has grown to despise this. Autumn Joy, Tyler's sister, wishes to be white. She must attend an all black school, and has grown to despise this. This theme is controversial, and the two protagonists spend the better part of the story sorting this out. I have heard rumors that publishers find this sort of them, taboo.

This theme is exacerbated on planet Delcimer, where furred creatures enjoy rights and privilege, while non-furred creatures suffer great abuse and oppression.

Five: Politics. OMG. So, a law has been passed on the Hero Island making pacifism a matter of strict obligation. 'No fishing aloud' has been painted upon signs and posted every thirty-three paces of a fox along the banks of all bodies of water! Guns are permitted, but only for those belonging to the Governor's Pacifist Militia--and even so, all ammunition is strictly prohibited. Thus, there they have guns, yet no ammunition. So, when the island is surprised by an attack on Penrose Harbor on Dec 7, 1941 (time is only variant by mere seconds, within the twin universe)--the island is unable to defend its own cherished people's, along with their beliefs and customs.

More Politics: Legalism precipitates the awful necessity of a mean contraption--a catapult of sorts--that is used by the governor to cast unfit members of society from the island--over the Lonely Ocean, to the harborless, volcanic remains, Kry Island. There, the outcasts who are violently cast away, must either die or try making their way up and into the awful island. "Caaast them away," cries Helena Robostern! This may need surgically removed?

Finally--another theme that could be construed as 'religious,' though it was never intended to be so construed. From the Kry Island, the castaways are weighted down with the honor of each of the inhabitants of Hero Island (there are other castaway islands for other nations). Here is the trick. If you should like to be pinned with your own kryonium-bonded golden ribbon of glory, then you must first return the lost glory to each of your most hated enemies! This results in a ceremony, where all are decorated--each on by their own arch nemisis. Sounds religious, yet it was not intended thus.

I have not really beta tested the novel. I need to research how to do this. Yet, I have done research concerning the sorts of material of which agents and editors tend to steer clear.

Either I perform the necessary surgeries--for there are multiple surgeries needed--and end up with a much shorter pop-fiction story; or, I merely do as I had originally intended: leave the story to my children, for whom it was originally written.

I want to thank you.

From your time, you took time to reply to my post. For this, I cannot express my gratitude enough. Thank you so very much for giving of your time.

Hoverdasher

From the publishers to whom I've submitted, the only feedback I received came from a small outfit. It was vague, reading, "The book is very good...however...we do not currently have a place for it on our current two-years-out plan."

Do I know what "organs" need removing, or need "transplanted?"

Well, for one--the novel contains a prologue titled, Disambiguation, and I've heard rumors that prologues are a turn off.

Number Two: P.O.V. The entire book is written as a memoir, and is narrated by a quantum professor as he takes youngsters from planet earth on a tour of a quantum mishap, which occurred between August, 1941 and December 15, 1941. Most of the memoir narrates what took place within our twin sister universe, who is also on the brink of their own Second World War. Thus, the protagonists--a pair of estranged teenage siblings--are not the direct perspective-takers within this strange tale. I've heard rumors that agents and editors balk at the omniscient version of point of view??

Number Three: There is an "Aslan-Like" creature--an prodigious eagle (based on the middle-eastern snake eagle), named Zayin. This may send shivers of 'a novel with a religious jaw' down the spines of agents, publishers, and even prospective fans who read it. This character was not designed to draw up any such sensation, yet, I fear it may. I suspect this, because after moving to second phase in a writing contest with an earlier chapter, I never made it to second round--the chapter I submitted? Taming the Boy--where this grand eagle pins the boy to the ground because his latent anger posed a real danger within the universe of Saiyandria, where things like resentment or joy emit radiation from a creature's heart; the boys latent anger could have posed a danger to everyone and thing on the Hero Island of planet Delcimer. Hence, Zayin's prudence in taming him. Doesn't seem religious to me, yet, to my reader(s) it could very well draw up negative associations, as religion just is not something with which I or many others are able to do business.

Number Four: Themes. The main theme is about the reconciliation of the two estranged siblings, and their safe return to their own world--planet Earth. Yet, there are many more themes along the way. The memoir narrates a journey where each of the characters are met with controversial problems similar to those encountered by youngsters, today.

The dreaded and multiplying Dusk Plant symbolizes the horrors of falling victim to drug abuse and addiction.

The two siblings are mixed race--their mother is African-American/Cuban; their father is Irish white! Tyler Rain wishes to be black--he is 'white enough' to gain entrance into white schools and has grown to despise this. Autumn Joy, Tyler's sister, wishes to be white. She must attend an all black school, and has grown to despise this. This theme is controversial, and the two protagonists spend the better part of the story sorting this out. I have heard rumors that publishers find this sort of them, taboo.

This theme is exacerbated on planet Delcimer, where furred creatures enjoy rights and privilege, while non-furred creatures suffer great abuse and oppression.

Five: Politics. OMG. So, a law has been passed on the Hero Island making pacifism a matter of strict obligation. 'No fishing aloud' has been painted upon signs and posted every thirty-three paces of a fox along the banks of all bodies of water! Guns are permitted, but only for those belonging to the Governor's Pacifist Militia--and even so, all ammunition is strictly prohibited. Thus, there they have guns, yet no ammunition. So, when the island is surprised by an attack on Penrose Harbor on Dec 7, 1941 (time is only variant by mere seconds, within the twin universe)--the island is unable to defend its own cherished people's, along with their beliefs and customs.

More Politics: Legalism precipitates the awful necessity of a mean contraption--a catapult of sorts--that is used by the governor to cast unfit members of society from the island--over the Lonely Ocean, to the harborless, volcanic remains, Kry Island. There, the outcasts who are violently cast away, must either die or try making their way up and into the awful island. "Caaast them away," cries Helena Robostern! This may need surgically removed?

Finally--another theme that could be construed as 'religious,' though it was never intended to be so construed. From the Kry Island, the castaways are weighted down with the honor of each of the inhabitants of Hero Island (there are other castaway islands for other nations). Here is the trick. If you should like to be pinned with your own kryonium-bonded golden ribbon of glory, then you must first return the lost glory to each of your most hated enemies! This results in a ceremony, where all are decorated--each on by their own arch nemisis. Sounds religious, yet it was not intended thus.

I have not really beta tested the novel. I need to research how to do this. Yet, I have done research concerning the sorts of material of which agents and editors tend to steer clear.

Either I perform the necessary surgeries--for there are multiple surgeries needed--and end up with a much shorter pop-fiction story; or, I merely do as I had originally intended: leave the story to my children, for whom it was originally written.

I want to thank you.

From your time, you took time to reply to my post. For this, I cannot express my gratitude enough. Thank you so very much for giving of your time.

Hoverdasher

You might consider posting in the critiques section and requesting beta readers to see what people think when actually trying to read through it. It sounds interesting and doesn't seem religious, and even if it was, I don't know if that's much of a turn off for publishers. Maybe for some, but it feels like they're pretty tolerant so long as no Christian bashing goes on which would make it less marketable in America.

That is so awesome. I may be betraying embarrassing info about myself, but it takes me hours to put out 2100 words! I congratulate you! Now, it looks like you are on a roll!!

Thanks, but it does take me hours to dish that out as well. That also doesn't count hours spent fantasizing, daydreaming, and background working on the writing before taking pen to paper (fingers to keyboard).

43k words in my post apoc story. Took a bit of a break from it to let the ideas simmer. Put about 2k into my urban fantasy piece I dug up. (YAY Finding my stories I loved yet misplaced!) 4k into a romance piece I was working on. And that was yesterday. Now I'm going to see how much I can do today!

From the publishers to whom I've submitted, the only feedback I received came from a small outfit.
Okay, but publishers are rarely able to give much feedback. I think Jo was asking more along the lines of what feedback have you had from beta readers. Once they've had their bite, there's the editor, of course. Have you had any guidance from those sources as to how to improve the work?

From what you've described in that post, there are a few things there which could be difficult sells. Good beta feedback and editing can make a lot of difference.

It's the last day of my holiday today and I planned on doing a ton of writing. I managed 184 words and L&C is still not finished. In my defense, I had to take the boy to the vets and he's being tested for Addison's disease, so I've been distracted.

Not so how many words but I advanced the post apoc story got to a major event in another story that was written on a whim. It really showed something about that character, and a group in the story, as well something off about the MC.

Found a few other stories I thought I lost. Horray more things for me to clutter my screen with!

Cheers. He's ok but not himself. I won't know anything concrete until the blood test results come back on Monday.

Best of luck, Mouse.

Writing challenge!:eek:

And tequila!:ROFLMAO:

:notworthy:

Ummm anyways! I worked a bit on a few of my stories. Worked a bit on the urban fantasy story I rediscovered. I was thinking about that. Having fun with it actually. Actually this story uses a lot of character and concepts i've had in my head for years, if not a decade.:eek:

Hoping to grab that spark again. Really tired. Might need more tequila to wake me up and shut off that whiny part of my brain.

"We're tired. We don't want to do a damn thing!":mad:

Die in mexican fire procrastination! Thou are not welcome!

My short story that got accepted to AntipodeanSF last spring just got published today - so happy!

Right now I'm finishing a self-help book for my hubby, and working on more short stories - my goal is 52 of them before I work on my novel again. I finished a children's story, and trying to convince my youngest girl to do the drawings - she's a very good artist. I'm also outlining a biography of my grandmother, which will hopefully be done before any more of her kids pass away - the only hard deadline I'm facing at the moment.

Wrote right at 2,000 words today on my Halloween story. Now trying to decide if I finish it a bit shy of 10K (I've written myself into an opening to do so), or add some more (easy to do with this type of horror story), which might extend it longer than I wanted?

I promised myself a Halloween novelette each year...

Wrote right at 2,000 words today on my Halloween story. Now trying to decide if I finish it a bit shy of 10K (I've written myself into an opening to do so), or add some more (easy to do with this type of horror story), which might extend it longer than I wanted?

I promised myself a Halloween novelette each year...

Keep writing it till your satisfied with it.:)

I think I'd be satisfied either way... which is the problem. I've decided to just write, and see where the (remaining) characters take me. ;)

Doing a bit of juggling. Threw more into the Urban Fantasy story including an old character I came up with a while back. That gives that story a total of 3 characters from the past I came up with but had no real proper homes for them.
She adds a bit of chaos the MC's life, and confusion.

Worked a bit on the Post Apoc story. Simply slid into the next phase of events. I might be able to have the critical realization happen soon (I already had it written out but its timing was just way too soon, so I snipped out the scene and stuck it in a new word document waiting patiently to add it back in.) but right now I am working on making the MC at least have some form of comforts.

Hey he's been through a lot. I think he deserves at least one shower from the only working hot water shower in the wasteland. :lol:

45,625 words in the post Apoc story and I just started cracking my knuckles. I'm debating on exactly what I want the MC to say.
I have a few things he could say to his friend about her and the shower. :whistle:

Having fun with this story. If I wanted something serious I'd crack out some more life or death stories.:rolleyes: Maybe start a trope filled epic fantasy. Might do that to see just how many tropes one can shove into a single can before they drag me away in a pretty white coat!:notworthy:

Vets visits over for the day so I'm back writing and I've done, oh, all of fourteen words of L&C. Pah.