What are you working on right now?

Last fall I started working on a hard science-fiction novel (?) inspired by much of an eco-dread. In short, the premise is that in the 2050s, an engineer designs a structure intended to act a large self-contained ecosystem, with the purpose of preserving biodiversity as the climate crisis exacerbates mass global extinction. Such structures are constructed in various regions (such as the Amazon rainforest, California redwoods, and Indonesian mangroves), but a sudden suspension of solar geoengineering causes widespread societal disruption that results in failure to complete most of these habitats. Over a century later, a Antarctican descendant of climate refugees is recruited onto a team lead by a space-based company to infiltrate one of these surviving structures and study the aftermath of the habitat's isolation. I'm 17,000 words in right now and having a great time writing this work, although I naturally have the anxiety of not ever finishing it. Fortunately, most of the story is already plotted and my enthusiasm hasn't waned yet, so all I have to do is actually write this thing.

Sounds really interesting!

Last night I dreamt up a funny strip. Eight panels with a great punchline. Laugh out loud funny, I happens sometimes. I remember thinking "Gods I have to write this down quick because I'll never remember in the morning!" so I woke up and frantically wrote it down in my bedside notebook (which, after all is what it's there for).

This morning? No note book. It turned out I had dreamt that bit too.

I've been going back through the first volume of a four-part fantasy story that I wrote in the pandemic. There have been a lot of small tweaks but luckily no major structural changes. Overall, I'm pleased with it. Goodness knows if it will ever see print: I don't have the time or skills for self-publishing, and nobody in traditional publishing seems interested.

Last night I dreamt up a funny strip. Eight panels with a great punchline. Laugh out loud funny, I happens sometimes. I remember thinking "Gods I have to write this down quick because I'll never remember in the morning!" so I woke up and frantically wrote it down in my bedside notebook (which, after all is what it's there for).

I read the opening sentence and immediately thought ‘wait, I’ve not had the email from your mailing list and went to check… then I finished reading your post (!)

Until I was 10 I had a very difficult time distinguishing dream memories from corporeal memories. Still happens a bit here and there. The number of Earth changing masterpieces that are relegated to over there is nearly infinite. Over here, not a one. =(

I'm writing a sci-fi story about an assassin meeting an artificial functional analogue of God. Gonna reason about understanding of God, religion and some eternal questions :unsure:

I'm writing a sci-fi story about an assassin meeting an artificial functional analogue of God. Gonna reason about understanding of God, religion and some eternal questions :unsure:
Are you a theist or atheist? Does the book take a side?

Are you a theist or atheist? Does the book take a side?
Instead of concentrating on approving or disapproving God, I want to reason about how faith, being propagandizing all good, still procreates arrogance, selfishness and illusions. So, it's more about psychic processes that God causes, then taking sides.

Instead of concentrating on approving or disapproving God, I want to reason about how faith, being propagandizing all good, still procreates arrogance, selfishness and illusions. So, it's more about psychic processes that God causes, then taking sides.
I'll rephrase. Does the book posit a God(like) being/system or that this all is just happenstance?

No, no, the God will be a system of devices, buildings and avatars, which wraps a whole planet. All included :cool:
That's pretty interesting.
If you've not read it, I'd highly recommend the VOID series by Frank Herbert. It's a similar take on this. I called him when I was 12 to ask about his personal POV on this stuff. Between VOID and God Emperor of Dune he helped shaped my ontological POV.

Hi all. I'm new to SFF, not sure where to introduce myself so I'll start here. I'm just getting into the science fiction writing game, and I'm currently working on my first novel, CRIMATA. ~150k words, more "sciency" and "fantasy" (are the comments I've been getting from beta readers!)

Are our minds, the root of a double-sided blade of suffering and growth, dependent on the chassis we exist within? And what is the purpose of such a universe, to churn and churn its souls to dust, to transform, to catalyze...

Senna, a 23rd century HAWC-SEC researcher from an Earth-based space agency, is getting into the stride of her career. Entrusted with the task of mediating access to one of humanity’s next great discoveries, she leads a team in charge of drudging up the remnants of a catastrophic space-faring vehicle flight test run half a century ago. But this high-profile task quickly bursts into uncharted territory when the pod is finally opened, and Senna must grapple with a past that that has taken hold of the future. Is each one of us destined to repeat the same mistakes, over and over, until there is nothing left to take? And what will it cost for humanity to climb the stages of the mind...

I just got through the revision of my novel after the first round of alpha reading, now I am gathering the courage to go through another round and find good beta readers to continue on my journey while outlining (trying to outline) the second part of that story.
Revisions are exhausting.

Just finished chapter 11 of an urban fantasy novel about searching for missing friend in a steampunk inspired world where magic is illegal.

• Wow
Reactions: ANV
I'm 34,000 words (a third of the way) into my Vatican-set thriller, which is ticking along nicely. I retired recently, so I'm enjoying the novelty of writing every day.

I also got an invite from the publisher of my other novels for my completed midlife crisis/quirky fantasy novel, so giving that a tidy up. I haven't been able to get much interest from agents, so this might be a goer.

I have a butane lighter sized digital recorder I carry around and keep at bedside. Each time you turn it on it starts a new file. Files are limited to six hours. Rather long enough for me. Of course, you might dream using it but at least upon awakening, you can high speed blurt it out.

Went past ninety thousand on my current WiP over the weekend, and getting very close to the ending. It'll definitely go past a hundred thousand, but not by much I don't think.

Outside of here (and here, recently...) I'm generally extremely introverted when it comes to writing, but lately I have been pushing myself to go to some local workshops and events. Ended up chatting about this work with a local author this past weekend, and we talked a little bit about publishing and submitting, which has helped refine some of my own thoughts and goals about what comes next. Gotta finish the damn thing first, though.

As to what - the second to last book in my DTA series.

Sad it's so because while I'm rather tired of the DTA arc, I really like the characters, but they won't go anywhere else. An emotional conundrum.

Glad because I have a couple other things to write on; one a continuation of the prior world and another that's a jape on The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

And peppered throughout, all the little new fables that sprout up for my Anthology.