What are you working on right now?

I am turning on of my short stories into a novella or novel. It can stand on its own, but I was interested to see what the characters got up to!

I am:
--Writing the first draft of Revived, the 7th book in the Monsters, Maces and Magic series--getting close to the end at 87,000 words.
--Proofing the audiobook version of Pawn, the 5th book in the Monsters, Maces and Magic series--finished the 1st 12 chapters, about 1/2 way through the novel.
--Collaborating with an artist to create a comic book version of Outpost, the1st novel in the Monsters, Maces and Magic series.

I am returning to writing book 2 (30K words in) in a series I've been writing (attempting to write may be more fitting). Book 1 is waiting for someone other than my wife to read; is it normally hard to get friends and family to read something?!

is it normally hard to get friends and family to read something?!
It can be. Which I understand -- I often get a sinking feeling when friends want to play me their guitar or whatever, and that only takes a few minutes. Reading a friend's novel is a big time commitment, and since book taste is so personal (especially in SFF, I think) there's a good chance you won't like it, and then awkwardness.

Joining a writing group, or making friends with other writers with a view to discussing each other's work, is a much better bet IMO.

I'm working on the long, slow edit of book 3 of my trilogy that should complete its transformation from draft into a good working basis before editing. I'm enjoying it a lot and averaging two chapters-30 pages a day between being with the kids and what not. After, I plan to go back to my new one with the second day's action planned out.

is it normally hard to get friends and family to read something?!

I guess it depends on how long it is. I'm lucky in that 90% of my stuff (comics) can be read in a couple of minutes and I can tell if it's worked or not because I'll get a laugh at the end - or not.

One way round their reluctance may be not to ask them to read it as a reader but ask them to do something specific. My mum for-instance can spot a spelling mistake on a page she hasn't got to yet. She proofreads my stuff first .. and then gives me feedback on the gag/drawing/lettering etc.

I just finished proofing Pawn, the second half, on Wednesday, and yesterday I proofed Date (for audiobook release). They are the 5th and 6th books in my Monsters, Maces and Magic Series.

So, now back to writing Revived's first draft (7th book in the series), which is at about 91,000 words.

New member working on figuring out this interesting online community. Just finished my first book. Now I'm working on how to market it, and figuring out if a sequel is in order or to simply move on to other novel ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
New member as well, hoping to learn a lot from this talented community and try to give something back whenever possible.

Currently revising-editing my first book, a 450-page romance-fantasy novel, writing the draft of the sequel and modelling the meta-structure of the third volume.

Writing is a long journey indeed!

New member as well, hoping to learn a lot from this talented community and try to give something back whenever possible.

Currently revising-editing my first book, a 450-page romance-fantasy novel, writing the draft of the sequel and modelling the meta-structure of the third volume.

Writing is a long journey indeed!
You're welcome here friend. Feel free to PM me if you need any direct support on your novel be it critiques, reviews to be posted, input on story and the fundamentals of the writing craft.

Costume designs for my Legion of Nude Superheroes comic.

nude-superheroes-cover.jpg

I have no idea what that is but all I know is I love it. Awesome stuff, JunkMonkey!

Also, I should really not have been surprised at what I saw when I Googled, "Legion of Nude Superheroes".

Hello, I'm a new member here. I hope I can learn helpful tips from this community as an author.

Right now, I'm working on a novel. It's my first and the only novel I ever made but....it's not completed yet, I would probably make another if I finished working on my novel. My novel used elements from fantasy, a bit of scifi since I used modern time setting but I also put elements from folklore, myth, magic and supernatural. Not an easy novel to write but...I was thinking hard for the climax scene of this novel right now.

I admit though....getting the idea of what happen next when you're writing a story based on your imagination isn't easy. Damn....I guess writing is a hard journey for me especially when it comes to turning your imagination into a text for the story.

Hi Amy, welcome to Chrons.
Writing can be brutally hard so only the fit survive the journey. If it was easy everybody would do it. Make sense?

But I would say to @Amy Symilton that one can become fit by exercising, so Amy - write, write, write!

We have a Critiques section for our members... maybe take a look there to see what others are writing, and what type of critiques our members give... try critiquing a few other authors' work there, and once your post-count tallies 30, you can put a piece of your own writing up for commentary (there should be a pinned post in Critiques that explains the rules for posting your work). Welcome to the site, it's a great place for aspiring writers, CC

hi all! i'm a new member and currently editing (or trying my best to edit) my first manuscript, draft no... (i don't know, lost count after the umpteenth version :LOL:) after several beta readers, it's probably time to start querying but i have to really get the guts up to even start at that. i guess if you haven't got the confidence yet it means your work isn't ready yet, so now i'm building an agent list and edit and edit. besides, it's summer time!! :cool:

my WIP has fantastical elements, leaning heavily on the biological nature of the planet where the story is set. so far it's been a hard but fun journey.

I'm rewriting my published novels. Why? Since 2019 I have learn from this forum, K. M. Weiland, and David Farland a number of things about writing that I didn't know then. This doesn't mean I'm going to totally rewrite the books for there are elements I like and want (a maybe should) keep. However, there are certain parts that demand remaking into a product that is more coherent and entertaining to the reader.

You may be asking aren't you going to be losing money? My reply: arrrkk arrkkk arrkk.