What are you working on right now?

I'm typing a story meant to be submitted for an anthology; it's due December 31st.

So, I wrote it all out in longhand, and liked it. Figured I could edit it as I typed it into Word.

So now I find myself making so many changes, it might as well be called a rewrite!

Well, the ideas aren't changing, and I'm pretty sure it's going to sound world's better by the time I'm done. But as long as I'm taking, I'm moving further behind with my other projects!

Ah, well. I'm enjoying writing it! :D

I never do bother doing longhand, as I find that as I get older, my fingers really cramp up more. Haven't done any actual longhand story writing in years.

Changes happen all the time, that's what the term rough draft is for. I suppose for most authors, if a project hasn't gone through a couple dozen gross worth of drafts, it's not worthy. :eek:

Still working on episode eight, myself...it won't be the best one by far, I'm afraid. And I'll need one more title before I can finish things up completely...at least I have an idea for the season finale.

I like the first. The quickest way to make SF seem quaint is to place it in time, especially in the near future. Keep the date references vague and you guarantee immortality!

You might also do a combination of the two (good name for a song). Choose a year zero, but don't tell the reader what it is. Strictly a reference point for you. Then you can say X years ago. You can even say things like, in my father's day or grandmother's day, or when I was a child. And if the reader thinks she has it pinned down to the 2020s or whatever, then good on her. Only you know the true secret!
I'd think about doing two things. First start with the Mad Max approach - no dates, just an event that everyone sort of agrees upon as a starting point eg the oil wars. Then go from there forward using not years but lifespans. Eg grandma says - "when I was a little girl before the oil wars ... " In that way you get a sort of rough estimate of time.

The second thing you can do is date things through language. Simak used to do it through his countryfied terms which sort of shifted your feel as a reader of when things are happening. But for you you might want to use more cyberpunk terminology (assuming that's the future you're planning on). Think the expanse and its slang.

I think what I'm going to do with this is as follows, part of it being that I had planned using the year as a series order designator (iow; 2028, 2029, 2030, etc..)

There are a few red-letter events in the pre-history. Many of those however span long periods of time, except two. The first would be "the Black," which is the day that America's infrastructure collapses. That I don't think works in that there would naturally be chaos after for some time.

The second is "the Gathering," which is initiated (though takes months) by the President/Mad Clown via his final mass communication to the people. "Get to the Bos-Wash megaregion now, or be cut off."

I think I'll use the Gathering, more specifically that communique, as the "zero date" for a few reasons. First, the Mad Clown's vanity. That will be the date that he determines is the start of 'his' new America, Consolidated America Sanctuary East or Case City. In his mind, that's day one, year zero, the day the nation is his absolutely. So, naturally all time starts then, to him.

Blah, blah, blah, there are other reasons that justifies that being left alone, until quickly he's gone, and the 'Restored Constitution Federal Government' takes power. To simply keep things moving, they initially stick with his policies (another reason) and then come up with a policy of their own called "the Policy of Erasure." The point of the PoE is to get the people to comply and forget the past. So, it fits they'd be happy to have reset dates as well (still another reason).

To that end, that date roughly 2020 I'll make G+0. Anything before will only be remembered or documented by G-4 as an example. Anything subsequent, like what is currently 2028 would be G8 (G+8). In rare cases when specific 'years' are noted (except for the RCFG everyone has lost their regard of dates), I'll use that system. I'll then apply that to the novel title / series title - date.

Ex.:
The Abolitionist
L... S... G8

Lest ye be Judged
L... S... G9

The Violence of Lambs
L... S... G10

Thanks for the help folks, I think that works nicely!

K2

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, episode eight is done...and not at the same time. But it's not an episode I want to even look at anymore right now, so its editing will be on the shelf until the last two episodes are done up.

After that, well, who knows? I may take a break from Tooninoot and see about moving to other projects.

Working on some new text to overhaul my website. It needs a fair amount of work. And writing about myself is far harder than writing fiction!

Episode nine done...one more episode, then going back to episode eight *spits on the ground in disgust*, then it should be ready for Amazon. After that, I think some *PROJECT NAME REDACTED* is in order.

Doing some lazy background work on a potential New Thing.

That's pretty much me all the time, Thaddeus, exception to being a potential New Thing... :|

Speaking of which, I should get to work on it here...

Trying to keep on writing, went back to my 'completed' book The Hammer of God and was glad I hadn't offered it to publishers yet, I ended up streamlining and clarifying the in-universe physics and 'laws' as I added (slowly) to the sequel.

Otherwise I have completed five Arthurian short stories.

Been sometime since I posted here.

I really need my arse kicked to get me out of this depressed mood I have been in.

First Edit is tough. When I finish my first draft there are always gaps. I have notes, sometimes even scene sketches, but they're just places I didn't write out the first time through. Going back and filling those in is about 1% as exciting as the first time through. Then there's getting the voice of various characters right.

It's a lot more like work.