Masters of Rome question

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
For those who've read Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series ...

Rufus is a significant character early on in the novels, not least via his correspondence with Marius and Sulla.

However ... I've nearly finished ready 5: Ceasar and realised I don't recall mention of Rufus dying. Then again, even if he were alive at this point, I'm not sure if there are any characters we follow who might be politically sympathetic to his correspondence.

Was his death specifically mentioned? Simply in passing, and therefore easily missed? I presume Colleen McCullough would not simply have forgotten about the character, but there's so much information and so many names that it's easy for me to lose track at times. If it came up, I'm afraid I've forgotten where! Then again, I've been reading these books over the past year, so it would be easy for me to forget if he'd been described as having died in one of the earlier books.

I think it is mentioned in Fortune's Favourites through Aurelia thoughts as Caeser is sent into exile by Sulla. I think Rufus died in relative comfort in exile at Smyrna???