The Baroque Cycle

AusS2000

I have read the Baroque Cycle (Quicksilver, The Confusion, System of the World) a couple of times now and become a real 17th/early 18th century London enthusiast.

I am visiting London in April and wish to visit some of the sites mentioned, such as the Monument, the Tower, Roger Comstock's House (British Museum), Waterhouse Square and the Templar tombs in Clerkenwell. I realise many of these are anachronistic (British Museum) or plainly false (Waterhouse Square) but am interested just the same.

Has anyone compiled a list of the walks Daniel does through London and what is still there to see? If not, I guess I know how I will be spending a few of my days.

Wow! I just did a Google search for the British Museum and Roger Comstock and was excited when I got a hit. And then disappointed when I found out it was from a post I wrote in 2014. Which nobody responded to. :(

Well I went to London and retraced Daniel Waterhouse's steps and saw some great things. If there is any interest I'd be happy to post the photos.

Wow! I just did a Google search for the British Museum and Roger Comstock and was excited when I got a hit. And then disappointed when I found out it was from a post I wrote in 2014. Which nobody responded to. :(

Well I went to London and retraced Daniel Waterhouse's steps and saw some great things. If there is any interest I'd be happy to post the photos.
Hi AusS2000, I must have (clearly!) missed your post the last time around! I was living in London when I read the Baroque cycle years ago, but it was clear to me that he did (or perhaps did not, who knows ;) ) make up a fair bit of it, so the urge to explore was dampened down!

I think From Hell (the graphic novel, not movie) and M. John Harrison's Light had more of a profound impact on me and my interaction with London's psycho-geography, but I lived in the East End and really knew a lot of the areas in both books!

Still the Baroque cycle was wonderful. Nothing like seeing a crime-fighting Isaac Newton.

I'm on my third read on the Baroque Cycle and am up to System of the World.

I just noticed that in the list of Hooke's documents recovered from inside the wall in Bedlam is something called "Python Explained" ! :)

Back