What did you blog about today?

The second of three Chrons Robots featured in The Twelve Robots, and a nice warm tale to kick off 2022 with:

Just published a Long Read essay on DC comics' seminal Watchmen, about the importance of hanging up the mask.

Great stuff, Dan.

At the time of first reading Watchmen, I wasn't impressed by the ending, thinking that the expose of Rorschach's journal would be written off as a crank conspiracy theory by almost everyone and would gain no traction at all. I now think Moore was amazingly prescient.

It's great that Moore leaves it open like that. There is the possibility that Rorschach's journal, coming off the crank pile, will be dismissed. But there are green shoots of hope scattered through the book, like Dan and Laurie's happy ending. I suppose it doesn't matter whether Rorschach's journal is believed or not, I suppose, because we already got the ending of Veidt's arc through the Tales of the Black Freighter story - the soul of the mad, damned sailor is claimed by the Black Freighter. Likewise, Adrian Veidt has let his soul be damned, and he knows it.